Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #676 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think because sources and amps are getting better and better, people have come to realize it's not the HD650's that are veiled, but their equipment. I can easily make the HD650s sound slow and sluggish or hyper-detailed and bright depending on the source I use, which opamps I use with it, which amp I use etc. It was quite surprising at first, what I thought was the HD650's inherent sound signature, turned out to be a product of my upstream components.

There is the thought out there that the newer HD650s are brighter. I have one of the newer HD650s, and I find the PX100 to be slightly veiled (and the RX700 to have quite a bit of veil), but I find that the HD650 has no veil no matter if I use my Total AirHead or no amp. I'll see if the WooAudio6 I have coming soon will veil the HD650, but I doubt that quite a bit.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #677 of 46,514
What I noticed so far is as I interpreted it (behind a curtain) there is no veil. However they are far from the fastest or most detailed headphones in the world. I actually miss some things that is quite apparent on for example my Ultrasones and K701. But this is not all bad it´s very forgiving on poor recordings and sibilance is nowhere to be seen. Feels like they where designed to cover up flaws rather then make the most detailed headphone in the world.

Other then that it´s all but smooth the flow of the music is not just there as it should. If it´s for it being to slow or the volume problems or whatever that makes it I don´t know as of yet.

As for amp well most hi fi headphones benefit from different amps, sources but so far there is less difference on different amps, sources with the 650 versus the K701 and the Ultrasone PRO 900. May just be that I am more familiar with the above mentioned headphones of course but the 650 seem to colour the music more.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #678 of 46,514
What do you guys think might be my most cost-effective upgrade on my setup? (see below)

I'm thinking of getting a Silver Dragon v2 cable but I am not sure if I'd be better off with a better DAC or amp.

I like my 650s but I do find them a bit too slow and lacking clarity on most tracks I listen to. I'm always feeling like I want more kick to the sound, more separation and more clarity.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #680 of 46,514
increased bass

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #681 of 46,514
I get some buzz in my left ear like it´s some hair in the driver some times with bass? Hope it´s some hair anyway? How do you clean them compressed air or taking them apart?

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #683 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think might be my most cost-effective upgrade on my setup? (see below)

I'm thinking of getting a Silver Dragon v2 cable but I am not sure if I'd be better off with a better DAC or amp.

I like my 650s but I do find them a bit too slow and lacking clarity on most tracks I listen to. I'm always feeling like I want more kick to the sound, more separation and more clarity.

You can tube roll, but it sounds to me that the 650s are not for you.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #684 of 46,514
I should have my HD650's with Silver Dragon cable upgrade by Monday of next week!

This is the most expensive, yet addicting hobby I have ever had! (And I was into buying Poker Chips, verrrry $$$).

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #685 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the most expensive, yet addicting hobby I have ever had! (And I was into buying Poker Chips, verrrry $$$).

x100

In the past 2 weeks alone:
RME 9632: $325
balanced M^3 amp: $740
APS balanced HD-650 cables: $360
Enjoyment: ?priceless (have yet to receive everything)....

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #686 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the thought out there that the newer HD650s are brighter. I have one of the newer HD650s, and I find the PX100 to be slightly veiled (and the RX700 to have quite a bit of veil), but I find that the HD650 has no veil no matter if I use my Total AirHead or no amp. I'll see if the WooAudio6 I have coming soon will veil the HD650, but I doubt that quite a bit.

What ways do you know if you have a recently manufactured 650? I just bought my very first high end set yesterday as a matter of fact. I have it hooked up to Presonus USB Audiobox, since the stock PC audiocard is integrated and inferior.

Is there a serial number I should be looking out for?

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #687 of 46,514
With strong light, look at the 'silk' around the driver of HD650.

If they are black, they are old one.

If they are silver, they are new one.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #688 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]I'm kind of thinking out loud here. I'm may shell out some dough for the 650. (I wish Senn had retained the same V2 connection tips on the HD800 so I could just focus on those instead . . . but what can one do?
frown.gif
) My LaRocco PR II MkII will probably drive the 650 as well as any portable amp south of the Lisa III, and I already have a Headphile BlackGold upgrade cable for them.

I plan to add a Desktop Lisa when those become available, so I should have adequate power then. maybe I should wait on the Desktop Lisa before I go for the 650.[/size]

[size=small]
Quoting myself here. Found out from an experienced user that my PRII will not push the HD600 to its full sonic quality but should drive it enough to make the experience very enjoyable. I had best forget about getting the HD650 for now until I have an adequate amp since it needs more oomph than the 600. I have auditioned the HD600 for extended time with a number of cables so I know what to expect from it. With the right cable it can be magical.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #690 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know his post is old, but in case anyone else reading this...

DO NOT buy Silver Dragon V2 if your source and amp are the problem. DAC and Amp first, then cables.

I have not heard the Silver Dragon V2, but just a word of caution when it comes to cables. Remember all they are bunch of wires, braided, with good connectors. Sometimes good sleeving, occasionaly some shielding. Yup that's it, there is no voodoo magic in cables.

So do your research before purchasing after-market cables, and figure out if you are getting your money's worth.

For example changing my ASIO4All emulated drivers for true ASIO drivers for my Compass made more difference than any cable ever will, HD650s sound even better than before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back