Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #6,571 of 46,554

Quote:
The toxic cable was on my short list until I stumbled across a TWag v2 on the for sale forum and snapped it up. As stated on an earlier post, the silver cable made the most noticeable and welcome change of any cable upgrade for the HD650. Sennheiser should ship the Hd650 with a silver cable as stock and they would find it would attract a whole new set of admirers. They could call it the Hd675.
biggrin.gif

I have both the TWag V2 and the Toxic Cables SPC. Can't decide which I like more, in terms of sonics.

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6,572 of 46,554
I think I have made up my mind. These will be my next purchase(will probably buy an amp first)

Now, I have two questions. What's a good amp for $200-300. Everything seems to point to the asgard. Is that correct?

And should I get a warranty with it? And if I do, how many years should I get the warranty?

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #6,574 of 46,554

Quote:
I think I have made up my mind. These will be my next purchase(will probably buy an amp first)

Now, I have two questions. What's a good amp for $200-300. Everything seems to point to the asgard. Is that correct?

And should I get a warranty with it? And if I do, how many years should I get the warranty?

Asgard all the way. Fantastic value for the money.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,575 of 46,554
The Audio-gd Compass is nice too, and it's a combo amp/DAC and it was around $300 or so when it was out, but now it's been replaced, and it'd have to be a used one from somewhere. I can't compare it to its replacements (the FUN I think and then even that has been replaced now I believe), so I can only recommend the Compass, but it's nice. Has good highs for the 650s and the DAC is decent for a starter (at least I think so, for the price, it seems decent, but nothing mind blowing although I use a much better DAC so take that with a grain of salt).

I haven't heard the Asgard (or Valhalla) but I've heard good things about it (and the Valhalla) and I don't doubt that it would be a nice choice.
Quote:

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #6,577 of 46,554

Quote:

I prefer the Asgard with the HD-600, but not the HD-650. For the HD-650 I ended up with the Headroom Micro Amp over the Asgard. It also plays well with my AKG stuff unlike the Asgard.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #6,580 of 46,554
Silver, copper... it really doesn't matter. 99% of all stock cables are fine and the fancy expensive upgrade cables just look nicer.
There is only one way in designing a cable to get a measurable (existing) sound-change, any thing else is just a placebo, is to solder a resistor to both lines.
Most of the time this is a very bad idea, but if you are aware of the Etymotic line and their 75ohm adapters you should get what I'm saying.

Yes, there are graphs, and it's based on science... while upgrade cables show the same fr-graph, harmonic distortion, same .etc as the stock cables...
Also... did you ever look at the capsule of the HD6XX series and how they connect the cable to the drivers? If you did not yet, give it a try it's delightful.
If you still feel the urge to upgrade your cables, at least directly solder them to the drivers instead of relying on this hilarious tiny copper string.

But chances are... they will measure the same (sound the same). You might still like them a lot more, because your brain wants to hear a difference and fools you into believing in snake oil.
Sacrificing a chicken or drawing a pentagram on the back of the drivers will yield the same results though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #6,581 of 46,554

Quote:
Again, perfectly put Tilpo. Thing is, I wouldn't post cable impressions of I didn't hear anything. I've A/B'd stock vs. aftermarket cables hundreds of time (literally) and hear a difference. I don't think it's as blown up as everyone makes it out to be, but it certainly isn't nothing.

I'm sorry but A/B means nothing unless it is proper blind testing, with a good understanding of the human perception and expectation bias you will surely agree to this.

No one has been able to get reliable results in a blind test with cables and no one ever will unless one of the cables is severely wrong or broken in some way. People never like to hear that "it is all in their heads", even though it is the same for everyone.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #6,584 of 46,554

Quote:
Silver, copper... it really doesn't matter. 99% of all stock cables are fine and the fancy expensive upgrade cables just look nicer.
There is only one way in designing a cable to get a measurable (existing) sound-change, any thing else is just a placebo, is to solder a resistor to both lines.
Most of the time this is a very bad idea, but if you are aware of the Etymotic line and their 75ohm adapters you should get what I'm saying.

Yes, there are graphs, and it's based on science... while upgrade cables show the same fr-graph, harmonic distortion, same .etc as the stock cables...
Also... did you ever look at the capsule of the HD6XX series and how they connect the cable to the drivers? If you did not yet, give it a try it's delightful.
If you still feel the urge to upgrade your cables, at least directly solder them to the drivers instead of relying on this hilarious tiny copper string.

But chances are... they will measure the same (sound the same). You might still like them a lot more, because your brain wants to hear a difference and fools you into believing in snake oil.
Sacrificing a chicken or drawing a pentagram on the back of the drivers will yield the same results though.

Again, that's all subject to debate on the whole cable sound quality thing. There is no hard evidence for Sasquatch, but I know it exists because I've had my own face to face encounter, and that same thing (partially) can be said for cables.

Quote:

I'm sorry but A/B means nothing unless it is proper blind testing, with a good understanding of the human perception and expectation bias you will surely agree to this.

No one has been able to get reliable results in a blind test with cables and no one ever will unless one of the cables is severely wrong or broken in some way. People never like to hear that "it is all in their heads", even though it is the same for everyone.

Again, all subject to debate.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #6,585 of 46,554

Quote:

Wonderful
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back