Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5,312 of 46,553
Well I'm just saying since my equalization isn't very precise, I add a slow curve starting at 8khz and leading up to a big boost at 16khz. The most important part is the 16khz boost. The boosted 8khz is just to add more boost to the 10khz, since my equalizer doesn't allow me that much fine control.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #5,314 of 46,553
Edit: I thought I had one on my profile but it seems not. I'm away from home now for the holidays and I'm using a less than ideal EQ on my laptop, so I can't really give a screencap of my fine-tuned settings (I lost them).

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #5,315 of 46,553
I don't get why people are okay with equalizing a random music player, as though they play everything from there.

I do get it. I play literally all music from foobar2000, and only occasionally do I play music from youtube.
Also: People might want different sound signatures for different applications. e.g. when watching movies you might want a bit more bass to increase impact, or slightly elevated mids to make it easier to understand what is being said.

That being said, I do sometimes miss my crossfeed DSP when watching movies, since watching movies is unfortunately impossible in foobar2000.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #5,316 of 46,553
I EQ in winamp because if I am going to be EQing(which I only do for bass), the music I'll be doing it for would be played in winamp and not spotify(my other music player). I just have to remember to lower the volume a lot when I go to other applications because I do the whole, drop all the frequencies low and boost the ones you want boosted up to 0db or around there. So when I go out of winamp, the bass is massive....but SO IS EVERYTHING ELSE
basshead.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #5,317 of 46,553
My 650's just came in today!

Have them in their box (partially opened) playing a lossless playlist of ~1,050 songs of all varieties at just above tolerable listening levels. Pretty much all of the Pink Floyd, Metallica (including S&M), Weezer, Coldplay, Disturbed, Foo Fighters, Fall out Boy, Blink 182, Incubus, Linkin Park, Sublime and The Offspring albums including acoustic and orchestral versions of many songs.

Hopefully that playlist will provide good burn in for the next 100-200 hours.

So happy right now.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #5,318 of 46,553

Quote:
My 650's just came in today!

Have them in their box (partially opened) playing a lossless playlist of ~1,050 songs of all varieties at just above tolerable listening levels. Pretty much all of the Pink Floyd, Metallica (including S&M), Weezer, Coldplay, Disturbed, Foo Fighters, Fall out Boy, Blink 182, Incubus, Linkin Park, Sublime and The Offspring albums including acoustic and orchestral versions of many songs.

Hopefully that playlist will provide good burn in for the next 100-200 hours.

So happy right now.

I don't think you need 100-200 hours, honestly. They settled down and took shape after 24 hours. I didn't hear any change at all after that.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #5,320 of 46,553
I say listen to them flat first. See how you like them and continue to do so over the next few days. After that, they should really be in fine shape and your ears accustomed to how they sound. If you want to EQ after that, go and get this EQ

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/shibatch-equalizer-plugin/4591

Allows for full equalizing across the spectrum. It was a bit confusing at first but then I realized how it worked and went to mess with it after that. Only thing I can say is that if you are messing with it while playing tracks, it can sometimes crash winamp for whatever reason but it isn't often it'll do that. I personally just use the number input system since that is the most accurate.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #5,322 of 46,553

Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, I'm not sure where I went wrong.  I followed it precisely except for adding the optional reflex dot.  Still, I wouldn't knock the T50s nor it's proponents because I've heard a well-tuned DIY T50 before, and they're good.

On another note: my commissioned Cavalli Tube Hybrid is ready!  I just have to go pick it up from my builder.  

Here's my new HD650 amp:

Nice. How does it compare to the O2? Any better and it's an Apache slayer
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #5,323 of 46,553

If you liked the Grado sound maybe you should try an higher model to the same price range as the HD650. If you think the SR60 was lacking detail try the SR325is or the Alessandro MS2i for a little bit laid back.
Quote:
I certainly hope so guys, I certainly do. I like that Grado sound but I totally feel a major flaw is detail(which probably improves up the line) and the fact that the sound really can vary in what it works for wildly I feel. Like I feel it is great for very specific sounding rock, specific sounding pop, etc.

Anyway, speaking of gospel choir stuff. I have never heard of anyone on head-fi who likes it, I wonder what headphones out there compliment it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #5,324 of 46,553
Hi everyone new to the forum and just joined the 650 family. They are being powered by a SR-71 and or my Anthem I-225. So far I feel my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9a sound better.  The 650 only have five hours on them however so I think they will sound better after break in. I have read many great things about these headphones hopefully they achieve the sound I'm looking for.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #5,325 of 46,553
Well FWIW I had Audio Technica AD2000s for a while and sold them, since ultimately I found the HD650 better all-around. The AD2000s had a flatter sound signature, but I've EQed my HD650s to my liking and often prefer them unEQed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back