Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #4,172 of 46,554
Any input on how the 650 scales with quality amplification---tight, highly revealing, detailed, and perhaps leaning towards an analytical sound? I'm on the Arete loaner program, and was wondering if I should pick up a 650.

If the bass and mids were to be tightened and therefore toned down a bit, with an increase in upper-mid to high frequency resolution, well that would be the HD625 wouldn't it.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #4,174 of 46,554

Quote:
I've been doing some research, asked in a couple of threads in this forum and another forum, but i'm still having a very hard time deciding between the HD600s and the HD650s... I'm listening to a wide variety of musical genres (rock, metal, classical, pop, hip-hop, electronic), playing video games and watching movies... What do you think would be more appropriate?

I recently A/B the HD600/650 thru a high-end (about $6,000) 2-channel audio pre-amp with a hp-out and found them remarkably similar.  I agree with other posts that the 650s did a slightly better job reproducing that low bass that made you feel the bass as well as just hear it.  That's not to say the 600s lack bass.   Heard by itself, the bass on the 600s would be adequate for everyone except extreme bass-heads.  The mids and trebles were essentially indistinguishable between the 600s & 650s.  Personally, I'd be happy with either, so it may just boil down to cost (the 650s are a little pricier). Either way you'll have a great headphone.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #4,175 of 46,554

Quote:
Any input on how the 650 scales with quality amplification---tight, highly revealing, detailed, and perhaps leaning towards an analytical sound? I'm on the Arete loaner program, and was wondering if I should pick up a 650.

Tight, revealing, detailed, yes. I won't say highly revealing because I've heard other more revealing phones before, but it's pretty revealing yes. I never find HD650 to sound analytical no matter the source or amplification. Other headphones might sound analytical depending on source/amp but never the HD650. The HD650 is the most musical headphone around. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #4,176 of 46,554

Quote:
Tight, revealing, detailed, yes. I won't say highly revealing because I've heard other more revealing phones before, but it's pretty revealing yes. I never find HD650 to sound analytical no matter the source or amplification. Other headphones might sound analytical depending on source/amp but never the HD650. The HD650 is the most musical headphone around. 

Sounds encouraging. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4,177 of 46,554
Hi HD650 lovers, I'm considering buying a pair and I have questions.

I have a smallish/narrower head, will the HD650's hit me? My AD700's fit me worst than my Grado SR225i's, but the Grado's almost fit properly.

Also, if I got a tube amp with them (Schiit Valhalla I'm considering), would they be too warm for stuff like rock/electronic stuff? Are the HD650's able to handle stuff like Daft Punk? My music taste varies. I like mostly stuff in the mids, but I like highs as well.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #4,178 of 46,554

Quote:
Hi HD650 lovers, I'm considering buying a pair and I have questions.

I have a smallish/narrower head, will the HD650's hit me? My AD700's fit me worst than my Grado SR225i's, but the Grado's almost fit properly.

Also, if I got a tube amp with them (Schiit Valhalla I'm considering), would they be too warm for stuff like rock/electronic stuff? Are the HD650's able to handle stuff like Daft Punk? My music taste varies. I like mostly stuff in the mids, but I like highs as well.

Thanks!

The bigger the head the more of a "clamp" you get with the 650's so your head sounds perfect! I've had to stretch the headband on mine to fit my bonce..

I've never tried the Valhalla but I do use an OTL amp and with great results. The 650's for me are more "laid back" than warm sounding. Problem is, if you are used to the 225's "in your face" sound, then they may indeed sound warm and dare I say "dull" in comparison when you first get them. But this is only untill you start to appreciate the more natural musical sound that the 650's offer.

Oh, and they'll handle Daft Punk better than any other cans in the price range. For sure!
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4,179 of 46,554
I can say that I have had many different pairs of headphones over the years, but the HD650's will be staying around indefinitely. I have de-foamed, and replaced the foam with a metal cutout screen from a splatter screen :) Works very well for me and I adore the sound they produce.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back