Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #33,126 of 46,554
  To me HD650 is simply the best value in the market today, espcially in EU where you can buy them new for 300€
I tried/owned almost all existing <1K headphones and I sold all them. 

Curious as to the headphones that you have tried? 

I have kept most of what I bought but not because of best value or sound, mainly because I like the different sound signatures.  There are some genres of music that the HD-650 is not the perfect "tool for the job" like EDM and classical.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #33,128 of 46,554
David, have you tried the Fostex T50 with Classical?

Sadly no, I only had a few minutes listening with the T50, reminded me a little of Alpha Dog, should be since they are based of the same basic design.

I've got 3 headphones that do classical very well: HD-800, T1, SR-009

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #33,130 of 46,554
Is it worth using the HD 650 balanced? And how much do balanced cables for the HD 650 cost?

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #33,131 of 46,554
Is it worth using the HD 650 balanced? And how much do balanced cables for the HD 650 cost?

If you have a balanced amp, absolutely.

Price is really:

Buy an extra HD650 cable + XLR parts + adapter parts + effort

If you want to buy one prebuilt, let me know. I don't have a balanced amp anymore but do I have a cable sitting around.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #33,132 of 46,554

I hate to even comment due to the potential derailment of the entire train, but...yes, mine are balanced and I felt that it was certainly worth it. The 650 seems to offers appreciable scale and seems to improve each time I upgrade something in the chain for it. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #33,133 of 46,554
If you have a balanced amp, absolutely.

Price is really:

Buy an extra HD650 cable + XLR parts + adapter parts + effort

Exactly; the easiest way to do it. Stock cable cost me $16.75 plus shipping... Neutrik connectors went around $8.75 each plus shipping. So you could chop your existing cable and just put a 4 pin XLR male on there, and then throw a 4 pin XLR female on the TRS end that you chopped. You'll be ready for a balanced (4 pin) and SE setup.

As for which sounds better, it's the same drivers. There really isn't any inherent advantage to having a balanced setup when your cable is literally less than 10 ft long.

The difference in amplifier architecture will definitely come into play, however. If you have an amp that does both, usually balanced sounds better because of the design and components. Conversely, if you have an amp that only does SE, it won't automatically sound worse than a balanced amp. IMO.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #33,134 of 46,554
The difference in amplifier architecture will definitely come into play, however. If you have an amp that does both, usually balanced sounds better because of the design and components. Conversely, if you have an amp that only does SE, it won't automatically sound worse than a balanced amp. IMO.

Yeah, I'm using a Cavalli Liquid Carbon that strongly recommends using balanced output for best sound so I went balanced with the HD650 and it's been great, like it better than the Bottlehead Crack overall.

As far as balanced cables, the HD650 makes it easy to go balanced so lots of options ranging from inexpensive DIY parts, upgraded and more expensive DIY parts, to the official Senn balanced cable or ordering from a cable company.  I'm not a DIYer so I paid someone ~$130 for mine (8 ft) and it looks and sounds great, though haven't compared it to other balanced HD650 cables.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #33,135 of 46,554

As far as balanced cables, the HD650 makes it easy to go balanced so lots of options ranging from inexpensive DIY parts, upgraded and more expensive DIY parts, to the official Senn balanced cable or ordering from a cable company.  I'm not a DIYer so I paid someone ~$130 for mine (8 ft) and it looks and sounds great, though haven't compared it to other balanced HD650 cables.

Hilarious what Sennheiser is charging for that cable (CH650S)... I literally cannot believe their pricing on it, in comparison to their stock SE cable... $240; are you out of your effing mind Sennheiser?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/ch-650-s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back