Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #32,612 of 46,554
Which setup is a better choice for the hd650, and why one over the other.

Ragnarok + bitfrost multibit
or
Mjolnir 2 + gungnir multibit

Mjolnir 2 + gungnir multibit.   Heard them at a friend's.

Small-step "upgrades" don't save money in the long run. Save up, bite the bullet, and go full bore. 
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #32,613 of 46,554
  sigh....DACs are not created equally. Moving up the chain = better SQ. Especialy with 650.

Pass the shovel and flamethrower.

But more $ does not always equal better SQ.  Beyond a certain point the law of diminishing returns takes over and pride of ownership becomes the main contributing factor to what is heard.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #32,614 of 46,554
  But more $ does not always equal better SQ.  Beyond a certain point the law of diminishing returns takes over and pride of ownership becomes the main contributing factor to what is heard.

I think there is some of what you are talking about with the pride thing but I believe in hobbies like ours that is diminished in comparison to the general population. Still something to be aware of however, definitely. That being said, a stronger factor is definitely diminishing returns. The jump between ibuds to lets say, the old school entry level recommendation of the AD700 is ginormous. Super large. There is even a big jump from the porta-pro to the M50, two other popular entry level recommendations. but that jump from lets say, M50 to HD650 is big but definitely not as big as the previous mention. For me the jump from 650 to LCD-2 was the smallest yet with my particular equipment but still worth it.

DAC wise I've only had two DACs so it is hard to say but my particular jump is very big. Music sounds less like a recording in some senses and more like I'm in the studio per se.  Not to get too hyperbolic but it is closer to what I imagine listening to the source IRL is supposed to sound like. Nowhere near exact, but definitely closer.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #32,615 of 46,554
  Between my original modi and modi2uber there is no difference to me, which makes some sense since they use the same D/A chip from what I could find about them.  Between my Bifrost Uber and MB there was a slight difference in the presentation of the highs, smoother on the MB.  There is bigger difference between my Uber and UD-301 which most of my friends who don't really care can notice, the UD-301 is more dynamic to them.  For me between the uber and MB the price difference is not worth the upgrade, still want to try the 4490 upgrade for the uber
biggrin.gif

For sure the 4490 upgrade of $70 is a terrific value, especially for the very nice analog-like sound signature it produces.  I did the board change myself and I'm not a techie guy at all (go to the Bifrost upgrade thread, pictures and explanations to do the board swap out).  

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #32,616 of 46,554
For sure the 4490 upgrade of $70 is a terrific value, especially for the very nice analog-like sound signature it produces.  I did the board change myself and I'm not a techie guy at all (go to the Bifrost upgrade thread, pictures and explanations to do the board swap out).  

Went for the 4490 upgrade about a month ago and my HD650 very much appreciated the gains in sound quality. At $70, it's pretty much a steal. I've listened to the Bifrost MB before, but found the 4490 to be the better deal. Besides, my long term goal is to save up for a Gungnir MB.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #32,617 of 46,554
Went for the 4490 upgrade about a month ago and my HD650 very much appreciated the gains in sound quality. At $70, it's pretty much a steal. I've listened to the Bifrost MB before, but found the 4490 to be the better deal. Besides, my long term goal is to save up for a Gungnir MB.

I have the Bifrost MB as well and did a comparative impression against the 4490 (posted on the 4490 thread a few days ago).

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #32,618 of 46,554
I tried the HD650 out and absolutely loved it as the vocals and instruments were in balance compared to the HD700 which I hated. I am looking to get some pair, but I am wondering if there is anything even more high end which sounds similar to the HD650. Budget max 600-1000€. I don't know where else to ask.

Not sure if I should just get the HD650 and save money for not spending crazy amount. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #32,619 of 46,554
I have the Bifrost MB as well and did a comparative impression against the 4490 (posted on the 4490 thread a few days ago).

So, as a vinyl guy, I'll probably enjoy the 4490 more and save two bills? Sounds like a plan. I can always upgrade to multibit down the road if I feel the need to. Thanks for the informative posts here and on the other thread.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #32,620 of 46,554
  Mjolnir 2 + gungnir multibit.   Heard them at a friend's.

Small-step "upgrades" don't save money in the long run. Save up, bite the bullet, and go full bore. 
cool.gif

I moved to this with my HD650's. Purchased a balanced cable to run all balanced. The HD650's sound wonderful with the tubes. If your content with the 650's, you have no need for the Rag as it has way more power than whats needed.

Bottom line: Gumby/MJ2 is an excellent pairing with the 650's.  

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #32,621 of 46,554
  I tried the HD650 out and absolutely loved it as the vocals and instruments were in balance compared to the HD700 which I hated. I am looking to get some pair, but I am wondering if there is anything even more high end which sounds similar to the HD650. Budget max 600-1000€. I don't know where else to ask.

Not sure if I should just get the HD650 and save money for not spending crazy amount. 

Just for reference, I purchased some Ether C's as I needed some closed HP's with improved sound over my Mad dogs to complement the 650's. My thoughts on the C's are they are a closed version of the 650's with crisper highs and deeper lows. They might be a little narrower for the sound stage. And they are 90% as comfortable.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #32,622 of 46,554
Just for reference, I purchased some Ether C's as I needed some closed HP's with improved sound over my Mad dogs to complement the 650's. My thoughts on the C's are they are a closed version of the 650's with crisper highs and deeper lows. They might be a little narrower for the sound stage. And they are 90% as comfortable.

Wow, talk about diminishing returns. Ether Cs are 4x-5x the price of HD650s. HD650s aren't known for exceptional soundstage so you'd think a $1500 headphone could beat it.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #32,623 of 46,554

I was thinking I might just get a new 4490 Bifrost and give my uber to my son so he gives back my MB Bifrost which I used of all of a month before he "borrowed" it for the semester.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back