Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #30,647 of 46,554
Thanks  

It has a few  black gate capacitors in it and I thought about other capacitor upgrades, but to be honest I have not listened to it since i received my new amp, but just have not been able to let it go, at least for the time being.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #30,648 of 46,554
Never heard the world famous Rubycon black gates. Always enjoyed ELNA Silmic II's with the 650's.

Any idea how the BG sound could be described? Does it gel with the 650's?

Inquiring minds want to know. FWIW with the tube talk and 650's, it is extremely strange that the headphones sound phenomenal with tubes, despite what the tubes are doing, distortion wise and such. I much prefer MB Gungnir feeding my speakers through a solid state amp, without tubes... Yet the MB Gungnir feeding the 650's sounds infinitely better through a tube amp like the Zana Deux. So paint me as one of the folks who believes in synergy.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #30,649 of 46,554
Never heard the world famous Rubycon black gates. Always enjoyed ELNA Silmic II's with the 650's.

Any idea how the BG sound could be described? Does it gel with the 650's?

Inquiring minds want to know. FWIW with the tube talk and 650's, it is extremely strange that the headphones sound phenomenal with tubes, despite what the tubes are doing, distortion wise and such. I much prefer MB Gungnir feeding my speakers through a solid state amp, without tubes... Yet the MB Gungnir feeding the 650's sounds infinitely better through a tube amp like the Zana Deux. So paint me as one of the folks who believes in synergy.

I can only describe the sound coming from the MAD Ear...it is the only amp that I have heard with these particular capacitors

The MAD has a black back round, for a tube amp...if you are into that kind of thing...black back round and a tubey sound 
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #30,650 of 46,554

Thanks, very helpful, I'll keep using my old AKG K501 for string quartets then I have X2 too, which is nice, but I listen many hours a day on headphones, the treble seems exactly what I'm looking for, given my darn tinnitus.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Do you have HD650? What do you think HD650 vs X2 for classical/symphony?

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #30,651 of 46,554
I've never really had a "burn-in" experience with any gear, but I've been running the HD650 pretty much nonstop the last few days while I've been away, and when I came back and listened to them just now, I swear that the bass is becoming more present and sub-bass extension and quantity is increasing as time goes on.  Really bizarre, never heard gear change like that before.

Jamie xx - Gosh

Listened to this track when I first got the headphones and the sub-bass sounded really rolled off.  Now when I listen it's quite present and gratifying.  Inexplicable.

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #30,652 of 46,554
  I've never really had a "burn-in" experience with any gear, but I've been running the HD650 pretty much nonstop the last few days while I've been away, and when I came back and listened to them just now, I swear that the bass is becoming more present and sub-bass extension and quantity is increasing as time goes on.  Really bizarre, never heard gear change like that before.

Jamie xx - Gosh

Listened to this track when I first got the headphones and the sub-bass sounded really rolled off.  Now when I listen it's quite present and gratifying.  Inexplicable.

Mabie you where used to more bassy hps, and now after adapting yourself to the non-basscan HD650, you started to see its qualities on the bass side too. I guess

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #30,653 of 46,554

Jamie xx - Gosh

I also observed pronounced burn-in with my HD 650's. Initially it sounded like it was a thick soup of sounds and gradually the peaks & troughs emerged to reveal a truly detailed sound. That's never happened with any other pair of headphones.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #30,654 of 46,554
I'm on my third HD650 now, with the latest less than 3 weeks old. I'm very familiar with the HD650 signature.

I did not notice any significant changes with the previous 2 and I certainly haven't noted any burn-in changes in this new HD650.

I don't discount burn-in in some components. Schiit amps and dacs I've owned have improved significantly after a few days/weeks. All Sennheiser headphones I've owned, including 2 HD800's, have sounded great out of the box.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #30,655 of 46,554
I clearly get burn in every time I use new pads ^_^.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #30,656 of 46,554
  I clearly get burn in every time I use new pads ^_^.

Well, yes, new pads do alter the sound somewhat. I was able to confirm this when I had a well-worn HD650 against one fresh out of the box. Differences were subtle though.

My post was to point out that I personally haven't heard drastic changes to the driver over time as some have alluded to.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #30,657 of 46,554

Well, yes, new pads do alter the sound somewhat. I was able to confirm this when I had a well-worn HD650 against one fresh out of the box. Differences were subtle though.

My post was to point out that I personally haven't heard drastic changes to the driver over time as some have alluded to.

I couldn't comment one way or the other, My 650s were 2 months old/used when I got them.
But the previous owner had changed the headband pad to the HD600 pad. ????  I'd have to buy a new 650 pad to see if I felt any difference in comfort.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #30,658 of 46,554
Has anyone done any testing on burn-in?  There are many graphs showing the FR of HD-650 so I would think that someone could find a new one and do a FR graph and then do a FR graph of one that has been used, or are the differences to small to be noticed on the graphs.  I'm on the side of no burn-in for most equipment but I have to also say that it is possible since my EL8 really changed from zero hours to 200 hours.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #30,659 of 46,554
  I couldn't comment one way or the other, My 650s were 2 months old/used when I got them.
But the previous owner had changed the headband pad to the HD600 pad. ????  I'd have to buy a new 650 pad to see if I felt any difference in comfort.

If you look at the graph's you can see the difference between new and old pads, also if you follow this link.below............you can see the tests down on the 650's, the pads and FR.https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/hd-650-r-old-pads-vs-new-pads.png
Time for some measurements to show the differences between the 2 pads (right channel only).
The measurements are done with the same test-voltages from a low output R amplifier and the same driver/channel.
The old pad has a good 2dB more presence below 1000Hz and is also a bit louder in SPL. The amount of treble (> 4kHz) is about the same level.
The new pad is more balanced and the ‘warmer’ signature is gone. More towards the HD580 / HD600 signature.https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #30,660 of 46,554
I agree, but the poster you were replying to was referring to the pad at the top of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back