Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #22,007 of 46,554
small correction, rapid A/B comparisons are complete nonsense when you try to decide what you prefer
it's a tool to check if we notice differences, it was never ever a tool to decide what we prefer.
I don't put my headphone on a scale to decide which sounds the best, for the same obvious reason I don't rapid A/B to pick my favorite signature.

I would agree with this. It's very important to pick the right track to the AB comparing with since it seems like certain ones bring out the differences more than others.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #22,008 of 46,554

Yeah, this is a good analogy.

No need to eq the HD650 to reduce the 'glare' that's for sure ...

Yes it is a good analogy. So many headphones have a glare or brashness to them. I find even the HD 600 has a minor brashness to it's sound. Which has always bothered me some since I got the HD 600 mainly because I already had a headphone that didn't have any glare or brashness to it's sound.

Agreed!

The more I listen to the HD650, the more I think my HD600 are on the way out ...

I feel the same way, I just got my HD 650 a few days ago and honestly I find it better in every way to my HD 600. People often say the HD 600 is tuned more naturally, but I think it's the HD 650 that is tuned more naturally, not to mention the HD 650 has an extra bit of refinement, smoothness, clarity, and articulation the HD 600 simply doesn't have. I'm thinking on letting go of all my headphones but the HD 650 and DT 150 as everything else has a glare and/or brashness to the sound and don't sound quite as organic and clear as these two.

I honestly love them. I don't really have the money to buy more expensive headphones and I likely never will but I'm comfortable with that. From what I read of others who have upgraded it seems to be a mixed blessing. Nothing else seems to share the same sonic characteristics.

Not many headphones share the same sound characteristics or improve on the sound of the HD 650, but I have come across a few headphones with very similar sonic characteristics. If you want to try a closed-back version of the HD 650 without sacrificing fidelity, try the Beyerdynamic DT 150. Not exactly the same sounding, but they remind me more of the HD 650 than the HD 600. When it comes to upgrades in terms of flagships, not a lot of options outside Audeze but they can be mixed bags for some people as an upgrade from the HD 650. The flagships that reminded me most of the HD 650 are discontinued. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #22,009 of 46,554
So anyways, I've been on a thread unsubscribing terror lately.  Maybe it's the weather (meh), maybe it's the people (seems to be), maybe it's me (yeah right).  The 650 is one of very few to remain on my list.  As much as I like what the 800s can do, I don't get into it.  As entertaining as the 700s are, they don't sound right.  The 600s are close.  Going from 650 to 600 I instantly hear the ~3k bump of the 600.  I really do think the 650 is Senns proper headphone, despite what the 800 brings to the table.  I have no qualms about having the 650 hooked up to amps that cost twice (Mjolnir) or even almost three times (Sonett) the price.  I don't feel short changed by the 650s at all.  Took a little while to get here.  

I feel like I'm on the verge of the end the road.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #22,010 of 46,554
  So anyways, I've been on a thread unsubscribing terror lately.  Maybe it's the weather (meh), maybe it's the people (seems to be), maybe it's me (yeah right).  The 650 is one of very few to remain on my list.  As much as I like what the 800s can do, I don't get into it.  As entertaining as the 700s are, they don't sound right.  The 600s are close.  Going from 650 to 600 I instantly hear the ~3k bump of the 600.  I really do think the 650 is Senns proper headphone, despite what the 800 brings to the table.  I have no qualms about having the 650 hooked up to amps that cost twice (Mjolnir) or even almost three times (Sonett) the price.  I don't feel short changed by the 650s at all.  Took a little while to get here.  

I understand that. After getting the HD 650 and my new dac I've started caring much more about the music than headphones. I think I'm done with headphones myself, maybe done with my system as well. I found that about the HD 600 vs HD 650 as well. The HD 650 is my favorite current production Senn and since it scales up so well, there isn't really a need for a flagship. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #22,011 of 46,554
I honestly love them. I don't really have the money to buy more expensive headphones and I likely never will but I'm comfortable with that. From what I read of others who have upgraded it seems to be a mixed blessing. Nothing else seems to share the same sonic characteristics.

I've briefly auditioned more expensive headphones; based on that (and what I've read, as well), that rings true. But don't discount the utility of having complimentary 'phones that are in the same price category (i.e. side-grade).

The HD-650s are my go-to cans, but some music needs a different signature, for my ears/taste. I am fan of ambient/electronica and I will switch to Grados for that, as well as for some classical and some metal. Flagship or not, different 'phones can excel with different genres and at lower or higher volume levels. For example, if you are a bass-head and you like Skrillex, these cans aren't for you. For low-volume-level listening of classical strings, I've never heard anything sound as good as the Grado GS1000.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #22,012 of 46,554
@ kman1211

It's funny you should say that. The DT150 is currently sitting top of my amazon wishlist. I need a pair of headphones for use in bed with my wife next to me. They need to seal very well and be relatively dark sounding. The DT150 seems to fit the bill from what I've read about it thus far.

Goggs.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #22,013 of 46,554

I couldn't agree more with your feelings about the various Sennheiser models.  I know myself too well to think I would ever reach the end of the road but I have never been as consistently satisfied as I have been with the 650's this time around.  Typically by now I'd be looking to try a different phone because of being annoyed with some aspect of the sound but have only been looking at ways to improve the rest of the system.  The 650's are able to support any level of upstream equipment, cables, etc.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #22,014 of 46,554
  @ kman1211

It's funny you should say that. The DT150 is currently sitting top of my amazon wishlist. I need a pair of headphones for use in bed with my wife next to me. They need to seal very well and be relatively dark sounding. The DT150 seems to fit the bill from what I've read about it thus far.

Goggs.

It does isolate and seal quite well, they don't clamp as much as the HD 650 and have an interesting fitting mechanism so they may take some getting used to. They are dark sounding. Maybe a little darker than the HD 650. My impressions of it is that it's a little thicker sounding but just as clean and clear sounding as the HD 650 and the soundstage may surprise you for a closed-can, the soundstage is a little smaller to about the same size as the HD 650s. It scales up with better gear like the HD 650 in my experience. If you want a closed HD 650, the DT 150 is it. The biggest difference sonically is probably the presentation, the DT 150 does have a bit the Beyer house sound to it.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #22,016 of 46,554
I'd agree with this!

I tried the Beyer T90 a while back and my initial reaction was 'WOW, all that detail!'. Turns out it was too much detail (or too much detail in the foreground) for me to actually enjoy listening to them ...

On the other hand, I've just obtained a brand new HD650 and, while I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed, there's no 'wow factor'. They just seem to take everything I like about the HD600 and make it a little smoother and more refined ... I think I like it :smile:

I found this with my HD650'S. After all the hype these headphones get I was expecting to be blown away but when I first tried them they just sounded like good headphones. It was only after listening for several hours whilst reading that I realised how much better they were than any of my other cans. I think it was the realisation of how much better they presented the musical soundstage than anything I'd tried before. I have more resolving headphones and some bass monsters but it is the almost understated all round performance of these cans that draws me to them far more often than anything else I own. There have been a number of headphones that I have owned that only really revealed themselves after long listening sessions. I try not to be too analytical with my new purchases anymore and simply go by the rule of what gets the most headtime. If I don't find myself reaching for them they have to go. But once you get to a certain level I'm a firm believer that most headphones are good, they just cater for a particular listeners preference. And if that's not you then just move along.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #22,018 of 46,554

How so?

And we know, you've posted a lot of love for these lately.  Sold the LCD3F, right?  I could probably let go of the 800s and feel okay after a bit of withdrawal.

1. With the 800's it was the constant attention drawn to the lightweight bass.  I always had to make a mental adjustment to it no matter how long I tried to like it
2. Stax 007 headband wasn't big enough to allow the earpieces to cover my ears and that weird electrostatic feeling of no physicality to the sound
3. While the LCD-2 and 3 were great tonally, I always had a nagging feeling that there wasn't as much involvement in the music as I had before
4. HiFi Man 500 always had something off in the midrange that I had to mentally adjust for when I first started listening, not bad but a small distraction
5. Grado PS-1000 is very uncomfortable, always ready to fall off, recessed midrange and too much treble and bass
6. Denon 7000 to much treble sibilance and overly heavy bass

With the 650's, I don't need to make any adjustments or mental compensation for anything.  They just sound right almost every time I put them on.  As others have stated, sometimes the mood or state of mind just isn't right for listening but any other time they seem just right.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #22,020 of 46,554
Both of my Audeze were pre-fazor.  I honestly think I preferred the LCD-2 to the LCD-3 though.  Something that really put me off about Audeze was the constant churning of upgrades and tweaks.  Also the non stop reports of blown drivers on the LCD threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back