Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2,161 of 46,554
Joining the club just got my HD650 5mins ago, I can intermediately feel the clamping effect on the HD650 it bother a lot haven't put it on my head more than a min.  So I report back on the sound impression later, but I must say first time owning a product made in Ireland.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,162 of 46,554

Quote:
Joining the club just got my HD650 5mins ago, I can intermediately feel the clamping effect on the HD650 it bother a lot haven't put it on my head more than a min.  So I report back on the sound impression later, but I must say first time owning a product made in Ireland.

LOL, wut?

'intermediately'?  Sennheisers are made in Ireland?

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,163 of 46,554

Quote:
Quote:

LOL, wut?

At least that is what it said on my can, Made in Ireland want picture?

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,164 of 46,554

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

LOL, wut?

At least that is what it said on my can, Made in Ireland want picture?

Okay.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,165 of 46,554
Some Sennheiser models are made in Ireland (like the HD650/600), and then others are made in Germany (HD800), and still others are made in China.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,166 of 46,554
Must admit I almost sold these gems after aquired Lambdas and he5le. compared with these two, HD650 sound muddy and slow with much less details. But, things changed dramatically after paired the HD650 with a short silver cable ( do not want to mention the brand name for no advertisement purpose). The bass is tamed, the high is more bright. more details were brought up in all frequencies. Now, the recable HD650 in my opinion can live up with both my lambdas and he5le  and won't go away from me.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,167 of 46,554
I tried capture the label on the headphone my camera isn't good enough end up taking the picture on the box. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2,169 of 46,554

Quote:
Quote:
LOL, wut?

'intermediately'?  

There you go again.  

=D

It's a cross between intermittently and immediately.

Wow, I didn't realize I made a typo what I meant was immediately.  Sorry for the drama, after a few minutes on my new HD650 vs. ATH-A700.  One thing was obvious, low bit rate files are just about the same but the HD650 has more instrumental sound compare to the A-700 which can't be detect.  However, on the APE or FLAC file the instrumental different is phenomenal I finally understand why people say 128kb bit rate mp3 won't make a difference.  I will try it on my head tomorrow the clamping is too much for me to handle as it is now.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,170 of 46,554
Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize I made a typo what I meant was immediately.  Sorry for the drama, after a few minutes on my new HD650 vs. ATH-A700.  One thing was obvious, low bit rate files are just about the same but the HD650 has more instrumental sound compare to the A-700 which can't be detect.  However, on the APE or FLAC file the instrumental different is phenomenal I finally understand why people say 128kb bit rate mp3 won't make a difference.  I will try it on my head tomorrow the clamping is too much for me to handle as it is now.

I was just poking fun at disastermouse.  =]

Looking forward to your impressions and getting my HD650s on Monday...the AGD Fun sometime next week.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,171 of 46,554
Hello!
I know that there was a deal on headroom for the hd650 when you entered the coupon code "HD650" about a week ago. Now, it doesn't seem to work anymore.
I've just tested the hd650 at a local retailer, and I'm decided that I want them. Is there still an authorized dealer on the internet that sells them for about 400$ shipped?

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2,172 of 46,554
I got mine for $336 shipped brand new on ebay.  I brought it from Union Square seller, Sonic Sense Audio is another legit seller that listed on Sennheiser's website as authorized dealer.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #2,174 of 46,554
Quote:
Hello!
I know that there was a deal on headroom for the hd650 when you entered the coupon code "HD650" about a week ago. Now, it doesn't seem to work anymore.
I've just tested the hd650 at a local retailer, and I'm decided that I want them. Is there still an authorized dealer on the internet that sells them for about 400$ shipped?

Sonic Sense Pro Audio is an authorized dealer and I bought my HD650s from them a few days ago for $321.20 including UPS ground shipping.  The only unconventional thing I had to do was call them and request a Paypal invoice.  (Instead of buying online - because on their website the price is $499.99 - I think because they're an authorized dealer they have to advertise the MSRP.)  I've my tracking number now and they should be here Monday.  

Edit: here's the thread I started for them on the vendor feedback sub-forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/532059/sonic-sense-pro-audio

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,175 of 46,554
the model i have was $800. i have no idea what it would do with planar headphones. i haven't really looked into them so i am not sure what their power requirements are. i can say that with my HD650's i do have my HeadRoom amp on high gain, but i have never ever, even on a quieter recording, exceeded the halfway mark on the volume knob. it's usually between the 9 and 11 o'clock area on the volume knob. i'd say i listen at moderate levels most of the time, but sometimes my listening level may be slightly above what most consider moderate. i like my hearing and i'd like to be able to enjoy music just as much 20 or 30 years from now so i don't go to crazy to often or for to long.

i can't compare my current HeadRoom amp to anything but a Fiio E5 and Gary's PA2V2. this is the only real high end amp i have used, and i plan to be using it for quite some time. i only got my current headphone and amp combo about a month and a half ago, so i will not be upgrading anytime soon, and i honestly haven't looked into anything else at all since. i don't want to be tempted, and my wallet and bank accounts are pretty empty right now anyway.     

Quote:
And a question for you jasonb - Seeing as the Headroom desktop dac / amp is about $900 and therefore (I'm assuming) more powerful than the Audio GD Fun, can it handle the planar magnetics should you eventually decide to try 'em out?

(Yes of course price doesn't include performance but when there's that much of a difference in price between two products an increase in ability/performance is safe to assume, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back