Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #21,631 of 46,514
You know, I've been researching since I made my original post, and now I feel like it's in between a Schitt combo (maybe BiFrost + Lyr 2?) and Woo Audio. It seems like people are still plugging the WA7 into a separate DAC; doesn't this eliminate the point of getting a combo? If a Woo Audio Preamp + Schiit DAC go well together I guess that could be even another option?

I know it's a very subjective question for me to ask what sounds better, but it's very hard to make a decision as a newbie to the game with no experience with hi-fi products (my current hps are hd598's).
I haven't heard the woo, but the schiit combo is truly amazing with the 650's. Honestly though IMO, the 650's are just that damn good. Every time I put them on I'm like wow. I believe the schiit combo is considerably cheaper than the woo. Either route you take if the 650's are included you'won't go wrong.

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #21,632 of 46,514
Just got dave Matthews band / live at Berkeley album lastnight, and the 650's are just incredible. You can place every instrument clearly. And there's a lot going on and the 650's nail it. Best audio investment of year for me.happy new year to all!

How do you like that album? How does it compare to their other live shows? I consider the Central Park one the milestone.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #21,636 of 46,514
How would you guys rate the Schiit Lyr 2 with the 650s? And how does it compare to the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2?

I would get the Valhalla 2 over the Lyr 2, assuming you plan on powering the HD-650 or other higher impedance cans ( Beyerdynamic) exclusively. It puts more mw (800) into 300 ohms than the Lyr 2, which puts in 660 mw into 300 ohms. Thus, if you are planning for high impedance cans, the Valhalla 2 is actually providing more voltage than the Lyr 2. This is why many on this thread have waxed enthusiastically over the synergy between their Senns and tube amplifiers (i.e. Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice, Littledot, Woo, Valhalla 2, and so on).

The Lyr 2 is the better option only if you anticipate buying an orthodynamic (Audeze, HiFiMAN, Mr Speakers) or other lower impedance can (AKG) in the future, since these less efficient headphones crave current rather than voltage. Because I own the HD-650 along with headphones from AKG and HiFiMAN, I bought the Lyr instead of Valhalla. But I still hope to buy a Crack or Valhalla 2 just for my Senns alone because I know it makes the better match. MattTCG and others have said so multiple times on this thread and elsewhere. While both amps are great, V2 surpasses the L2 for your 300 and upward ohm Sennheisers. IMO of course.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #21,638 of 46,514
Just got my Asgard 2 today and I don't think I'll be spending much time on Head-Fi anymore :p

The 650's with the Asgard sound incredible and I can't imagine I'll be looking for anything new for a long time. Anyways thanks for all of the help and good luck to anyone still looking :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #21,639 of 46,514
Just got my Asgard 2 today and I don't think I'll be spending much time on Head-Fi anymore :p

The 650's with the Asgard sound incredible and I can't imagine I'll be looking for anything new for a long time. Anyways thanks for all of the help and good luck to anyone still looking :)
Hope that works out well for you. I said the same thing $1200.00 ago, lol

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #21,640 of 46,514
I would get the Valhalla 2 over the Lyr 2, assuming you plan on powering the HD-650 or other higher impedance cans ( Beyerdynamic) exclusively. It puts more mw (800) into 300 ohms than the Lyr 2, which puts in 660 mw into 300 ohms. Thus, if you are planning for high impedance cans, the Valhalla 2 is actually providing more voltage than the Lyr 2. This is why many on this thread have waxed enthusiastically over the synergy between their Senns and tube amplifiers (i.e. Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice, Littledot, Woo, Valhalla 2, and so on).

The Lyr 2 is the better option only if you anticipate buying an orthodynamic (Audeze, HiFiMAN, Mr Speakers) or other lower impedance can (AKG) in the future, since these less efficient headphones crave current rather than voltage. Because I own the HD-650 along with headphones from AKG and HiFiMAN, I bought the Lyr instead of Valhalla. But I still hope to buy a Crack or Valhalla 2 just for my Senns alone because I know it makes the better match. MattTCG and others have said so multiple times on this thread and elsewhere. While both amps are great, V2 surpasses the L2 for your 300 and upward ohm Sennheisers. IMO of course.

Interesting, while I did consider the Valhalla 2, I was skeptical about it for two reasons. First, I love the clean analytical sound of Solid State Amps, and second, it has 4 tubes, which would come out to a higher expense to replace or upgrade them.

I was planning on going with the Asgard 2 until I found out that I would be required to pay tax, which killed a lot of value for me. After quickly browsing Amazon, I found the Lyr 2 for $325 on Amazon in "Like New" condition. So I went with that, and considering it is a hybrid amp, I think it will introduce me to tube sound while still retaining my beloved solid state cleanness I love.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #21,641 of 46,514
Happy new year everyone!

Saor Alba!

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #21,644 of 46,514
How would you guys rate the Schiit Lyr 2 with the 650s? And how does it compare to the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2?

It literally fixed any of the weak spots in the 650s that I had using the bravo audio v3 tube amp. Sounds like completely different headphones now. I wasn't too impressed with it after the first day. But I took the tubes out and reseated them and it made it sound so much better now. I must have seated them in the socket incorrectly yesterday. The 650 shines now!

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #21,645 of 46,514

You know, I've been researching since I made my original post, and now I feel like it's in between a Schitt combo (maybe BiFrost + Lyr 2?) and Woo Audio. It seems like people are still plugging the WA7 into a separate DAC; doesn't this eliminate the point of getting a combo? If a Woo Audio Preamp + Schiit DAC go well together I guess that could be even another option?

I know it's a very subjective question for me to ask what sounds better, but it's very hard to make a decision as a newbie to the game with no experience with hi-fi products (my current hps are hd598's).

The WA7's DAC is competent.  You see folks upgrade because we're seeking that little bit more of perfection...audiophiles are basically greedy 
biggrin.gif

I suggest you purchase it without the external power supply and save yourself $400.  The huge brick (literally the size of a brick) is a great, stock power supply.  This will run you $999 (was $899 during the Black Friday type sale and you might find one used).  This is a perfectly competent unit for powering the 650's.  With some decent 16/44 material, you'll be smiling.

Peace

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back