Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #21,016 of 46,554
  I was actually sitting here trying to guess how many seconds I would have to wait for that response.

End of argument then, I guess.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #21,017 of 46,554

End of argument then, I guess.

What argument? This whole thread has been objectivists and subjectivists making the usual statements, with the usual outcome (no new information, no change in position on either side) and the usual assumptions with respect to lack of understanding or experience.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #21,018 of 46,554
  What argument? This whole thread has been objectivists and subjectivists making the usual statements, with the usual outcome (no new information, no change in position on either side) and the usual assumptions with respect to lack of understanding or experience.

That's right, I'm done with 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #21,019 of 46,554
hd650....the greatest headfone ever...that landed on my head. 

next day, it should be the dt150...let me check the roster...hmmmmm

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #21,020 of 46,554
Head's up!  New HD650's are going for $313.99 on Amazon right now!

I just bought a pair!  So stoked about this!  I've been jonesing for another pair for a while now (I used to own a pair a few years back but had to sell them).

Don't know how long this price will last for but it's the cheapest I've ever seen a new pair be sold directly by Amazon for.

Now's the time if (like me) you've been on the fence about picking up one of the true classics of high-end headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418546368&sr=8-1&keywords=hd650

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #21,021 of 46,554
Had one in the cart for the past 10 minutes. They don't ship to Canada. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of finding a way to ship it here. Plus, I already have a pair. :D

Edit: Decided not to pull the trigger. Too much hassle to get it shipped and can't use PayPal. Good luck to everyone who needs HD650s... hope you're awake because this is a great price! Maybe grab some extra pairs to sell on Head-Fi for the international members. :wink:

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #21,023 of 46,554
I've always been baffled by why people who think a frequency response graph tells the whole story and that everything sounds the same bother to participate in these discussions. There's nothing to discuss because everything is the same.

please if you're going to play the shocked card, at least don't use a false argument by insinuating that we look only at FR. as it happens, for a DAC it's the one thing you almost never look at because it will almost always be dead flat(as it should). nobody on earth ever though that frequency response graphs could tell the whole story of any gear.
 we're all free to have our ideas and opinions, and I don't mind people thinking I'm wrong in my approach of music, I don't know everything, and I'm merely on the road to somewhere. but plz don't try to shut us down with such a lame strawman argument just because we make you feel insecure talking about things you don't understand. xenophobia never elevated any discussion. 
there is more to the world than what you know, see and hear. reading never made someone more ignorant, and specs are just another way to learn about my favorite gears. if you expect to know all there is to know of an audio gear by listening to it, fine. I find it interesting to know a little more. you don't have to be interested in it. just like someone who cares for measurements doesn't have to be an objectivist or a science guy. measurements are certainly not limited to frequency response, and it might be mind blowing for some, but looking at a graph and listening to music are not mutually exclusive. as it happens they don't involve the same receptors. so contrary to popular beliefs, so called objectivists weren't born with 8 eyes and no ears.
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #21,024 of 46,554
  I wish they would use better materials for the HD650s, going full plastic for a $500 pair of headphones just looks kinda cheap.

I work in materials.  You guys really shouldn't assume that just because it's plastic that it's ***** quality.  There are all kinds of weak ass metals, metal alloys, powdered metals and such out there that are inferior to many plastics, yet get used because the end consumer thinks metal > plastic.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #21,025 of 46,554
i dun mind the plastic, just dun like the paint chipping off :p

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #21,026 of 46,554
My V-Moda M-100's are allegedly near indestructible. My pair are broken.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #21,027 of 46,554
My V-Moda M-100's are allegedly near indestructible. My pair are broken.

Do You consider the M-100 as a worthy closed portable alternative for the HD650?
I am looking for an office (closed) and on the road rig but with similar sound signature as my HD650.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #21,028 of 46,554
Guys, how do I unscrew metal headband part form headband (I have HD600, but I think HD650 has the same design)?
It is connected to plastic earcup holder with some kind of screw or nut (some sort of metal nut with 3 very small grooves).
Right side is too tight, I d like to loosen it a bit.
EDIT: here s the picture of right earcup (headphones are upside down)

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #21,029 of 46,554
I work in materials.  You guys really shouldn't assume that just because it's plastic that it's ***** quality.  There are all kinds of weak ass metals, metal alloys, powdered metals and such out there that are inferior to many plastics, yet get used because the end consumer thinks metal > plastic.

While the 650's are not the flashiest or most luxurious looking, they look just like what they are; serious headphones designed with one goal in mind which is to sound excellent.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #21,030 of 46,554
While the 650's are not the flashiest or most luxurious looking, they look just like what they are; serious headphones designed with one goal in mind which is to sound excellent.

+1 

And I personally think they feel quite nice. And they look like the HE90 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back