Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #19,336 of 46,499
It was a schiit valhalla. I thought it was ok, but nothing high end like a woo audio tube amp.  The combination of the HD650 and schiit valhalla seemed a bit "slow and muddy" and couldn't keep up.  The T1 I had previously did much better with it as the decay is much quicker.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #19,337 of 46,499
  It was a schiit valhalla. I thought it was ok, but nothing high end like a woo audio tube amp.  The combination of the HD650 and schiit valhalla seemed a bit "slow and muddy" and couldn't keep up.  The T1 I had previously did much better with it as the decay is much quicker.

Seriously?  Because I've read a number of posts describing the Valhalla as a fantastic amp for the 650.  Is it the 650 you didn't care for or is it really the combination of the two that doesn't work for you?

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #19,338 of 46,499

I'm not surprised if it was "slow and muddy" in compare to the T1.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #19,339 of 46,499
  I used to own HD650 and paired them with a tube amp and couldn't keep up with fast hitting metal music so I sold them.  Now that I am using a solid state amp, would things be different this time around?  I was trying to buy a pair of akg 712 pros on ebay but the seller sent me a 612 and I am done dealing with him so I am asking for a refund and am back at the beginning and evaluating choices again.    If the hd650/audio gd nfb11 with es9018 chip combo works then I'll give it another try.

I could never really warm up to the HD650 on an OTL tube amp either; it sounded very boomy, and had no idea why people like these things.  On the solid state Matrix M-Stage with the Tam Audio class A OPA627 mod they're a completely different headphone.  They're so tight it's like getting hit in the head with a foam bat.  In fact, they're almost too far the other direction and it's difficult to read, work, or do anything else while listening.  Undoubtedly this has to do with the impedance hump in the low mids, which is likely inductive, and requires dampending.  I get the impression OTL tube amps aren't very good at that, despite output impedance and power ratings.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #19,341 of 46,499
  I could never really warm up to the HD650 on an OTL tube amp either; it sounded very boomy, and had no idea why people like these things.  On the solid state Matrix M-Stage with the Tam Audio class A OPA627 mod they're a completely different headphone.  They're so tight it's like getting hit in the head with a foam bat.  In fact, they're almost too far the other direction and it's difficult to read, work, or do anything else while listening.  Undoubtedly this has to do with the impedance hump in the low mids, which is likely inductive, and requires dampending.  I get the impression OTL tube amps aren't very good at that, despite output impedance and power ratings.

Depends on the OTL amp...

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #19,344 of 46,499

Seriously?  Because I've read a number of posts describing the Valhalla as a fantastic amp for the 650.  Is it the 650 you didn't care for or is it really the combination of the two that doesn't work for you?

It just didn't work for me with the type of music that I listen to.  If I were to listen to something like lets say Chris Isaak's Wicked Game it would be outstanding.  I will probably see if any higher end audio stores here has it and can listen to it on a solid state amp with the music that I listen to.  Right now it's between this and the akg 712pro.  

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #19,345 of 46,499
  ^^ The T1 is one of the fastest, most detailed and resolving headphones. It's not fair to compare the HD650 to the T1. 

Yeah and I had it modded with Toxic Cables Silver Widow too which was super amazing.  I wish I kept it and used it with the audio gb nfb11 with es9018 chip.  I'm sure it  would have been even better than the bifrost/valhalla combo.  I liked the bifrost a lot.  It was the valhalla that just didn't pair well with the music I like which is speed metal.  It was good with most other types of music. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #19,346 of 46,499

The Valhalla 2 is awesome with these cans! I find that poor recordings to sound bad, muddy and congested. I.e. metal recordings are usually pretty poor on places like youtube, but listening to some of my roommates CDs they sound much much better. Is the HD650 the best headphone for metal and complex music? no, is it bad? no.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #19,347 of 46,499
  I used to own HD650 and paired them with a tube amp and couldn't keep up with fast hitting metal music so I sold them.  Now that I am using a solid state amp, would things be different this time around?  I was trying to buy a pair of akg 712 pros on ebay but the seller sent me a 612 and I am done dealing with him so I am asking for a refund and am back at the beginning and evaluating choices again.    If the hd650/audio gd nfb11 with es9018 chip combo works then I'll give it another try.

Like others have said, the 650s aren't known for being fast headphones at all. It has been a while since I owned the 650 so I won't say they were slow, but I most certainly remember them not seeming to be very nimble either. Steady and polite I would say.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #19,348 of 46,499
This is the final point I'll make on this as no-one here wants to talk politics. Quebec is not a country, Scotland is. We are merely attempting to assert our position within the UN and become a normal country again. Finally, polls can deliver any result the questioner wants, however our private polling shows the independence movement miles ahead. Watch this space.

I certainly will watch, and as I said I have no vested interest directly, and not knowing the reality of life in Scotland I have no knowledge whether one outcome is better than the other. My surname is Girvan of which there is a town and lake named of in Scotland so I have some connection to Scotland on an emotional level anyway. Cheers.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #19,349 of 46,499

Like others have said, the 650s aren't known for being fast headphones at all. It has been a while since I owned the 650 so I won't say they were slow, but I most certainly remember them not seeming to be very nimble either. Steady and polite I would say.

I'm wondering if a custom silver cable would make it a little faster.  I'm sure that going with a solid state amp this time would make some difference.  In the flagship headphone thread it is mentioned that the hd650 is good for rock and metal and to use a silver cable.    I think I'll try to find a place that carries it and audition it.  I'd like to give it another chance.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #19,350 of 46,499

I'm wondering if a custom silver cable would make it a little faster.  I'm sure that going with a solid state amp this time would make some difference.  In the flagship headphone thread it is mentioned that the hd650 is good for rock and metal and to use a silver cable.    I think I'll try to find a place that carries it and audition it.  I'd like to give it another chance.

The SS amp will likely make much more difference than changing the cable will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back