Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #17,476 of 46,554
Will do!!! I will compare the the Valhalla, E09K and the MF Xcan v3 on my HD650's, limited yes, but it was what I have been using to date. Randy, what types of music do listen to? My taste is very broad, classical, jazz, indie folk, Grateful Dead, classic rock, grunge, country, classic folk, opera.

My tastes are very broad too, but surprisingly quite different.  50% of my music is country, after which rap, top 40, alternative and rock are all pretty close.  Lately I've gotten into electronic music, specifically dubstep.  I also sprinkle in some easy listening stuff like Sinatra and the rat pack stuff.

Edit: My last.fm profile is in my signature.  You can see all of my listening habits there. :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #17,478 of 46,554
My tastes are very broad too, but surprisingly quite different.  50% of my music is country, after which rap, top 40, alternative and rock are all pretty close.  Lately I've gotten into electronic music, specifically dubstep.  I also sprinkle in some easy listening stuff like Sinatra and the rat pack stuff.

Edit: My last.fm profile is in my signature.  You can see all of my listening habits there. :wink:

Yes it's definitely broad as well, I'll spin some Country and report on that. Might have to dig for the Brat Pack though:sunglasses:!

On another note, my HD650's are newer, what are the main differences between the newer and older versions?

May 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #17,479 of 46,554
After a couple of weeks of further listening I had to post some more thoughts. As I listen to Bird of Sorrow by Glen Hansard on my Modi/Valhalla/HD650 I am just still in awe how crazy good this combo is. The emotion of the music is just right there with you. The precision of the intonation of the singing is front and center. It draws you in and doesn't let you go. Closing you eyes and listening to this song is just pure bliss. I can only imagine what other incredible moments are still to come. Check out this song with these headphones and let me know what you think.

May 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #17,480 of 46,554
Interested to hear what you think of the Modi/Valhalla pairing with the HD650. I need a pile of Schiit for my 650s!

I am currently running my HD650s out of Gungnir/Lyr combination, which seems to make them happy.

May 17, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #17,481 of 46,554
  I'd like to confirm the different iterations of the HD650.  Is the latest (and greatest?) one the silver screen driver?  This is the one that supposedly has better treble (less veiled) correct?

And it is easy to tell just by looking at the outside of the headphone into the grill right?  If you see white/silver (as opposed to the earlier black), then it is the newer version.

Has there just been the two - black and silver/white?

None. There's no difference between the "old" and the "new" one. It's all the pads. Used pads will let you hear less highs and more bass.

I've my second pair HD650s here (dark mesh, Serial: 02XXXX), obviously an older model. But it has new pads and it sounds clear and snappy, I can't hear any veil.

May 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #17,482 of 46,554
Doing my first listen through the Crack w/Speedball.

My chain: FLAC on PC > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Digital Coax > Schiit Bifrost Uber > Crack w/Speedball > HD650 (silver mesh so newer one I'm guessing)

More awesome than it already was through my Schiit Lyr.  Don't think I'll continue to pursue "end-game" gear because I have a feeling I'll spend ~$5k+ to end up disappointed.  These headphones are seriously awesome.

I'm excited to have my friends listen to them!

May 17, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #17,483 of 46,554
  Doing my first listen through the Crack w/Speedball.

My chain: FLAC on PC > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Digital Coax > Schiit Bifrost Uber > Crack w/Speedball > HD650 (silver mesh so newer one I'm guessing)

More awesome than it already was through my Schiit Lyr.  Don't think I'll continue to pursue "end-game" gear because I have a feeling I'll spend ~$5k+ to end up disappointed.  These headphones are seriously awesome.

I'm excited to have my friends listen to them!

Congrats on you BHC & SB

May 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #17,489 of 46,554
I have old dark mesh HD650s and i don't hear a veil.I guess it depends on your amplification.

May 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #17,490 of 46,554
My Schiit is here!!!!

I am letting everything burn in before serious listening, though the Valhalla sounds great, right out of the box, more to come! Music requests are now being accepted :sunglasses:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back