Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #17,431 of 46,554
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31638_Sennheiser-HD-650.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=29324163&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

Not a bad deal, comes with rebranded VSONIC GR07. 

May 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #17,432 of 46,554
  Just got myself a pair from a user here! Schiit took forever to ship my Modi/Magni so they should be coming in today. They sound decent on my Asus Xonar DG and hope the Modi/Magni will bring it out more.

Please tell me how that turns out!
I have the a Xonar too. 

May 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #17,433 of 46,554
  Just got myself a pair from a user here! Schiit took forever to ship my Modi/Magni so they should be coming in today. They sound decent on my Asus Xonar DG and hope the Modi/Magni will bring it out more.

Congrats and enjoy. 

Let us know how things work out!!! 

beerchug.gif

May 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #17,434 of 46,554
Review on B&H website.............

Sturdy box, wimpy transformers

By Tony the Tinkerman
from Somerset County, NJ
About Me Experienced

I got this device to reduce the annoying computer whine I experienced when I connected my desktop computer to my earth-grounded stereo setup. I had the two connected with simple unbalanced cables, but since the signal ground in the computer's sound card was the same as the main power ground, there is a lot of high frequency hash from all the digital switching going on, and it rides on the connection as a common mode signal. This noise has a very low source impedance, so it cannot be helped by further grounding. Isolation transformers seemed the only solution.

The Pureformer did the job all right--the hash was at least 10 or 15 dB lower--but I started hearing really nasty distortion on music with even moderate levels of bass. Using a signal generator and an oscilloscope, I was able to see the problem: core saturation at low frequencies. At 20 Hz, the transformers could only handle a signal of about 140 mV before distorting. Naturally, at higher frequencies the threshold was higher, reaching 570 mV at 40 Hz and a decent 2.1 V at 100 Hz. The problem is that signals with this kind of bass are very easily encountered with normal music from consumer electronics.

Opening up the metal box revealed two dinky little transformers. Truly adequate performance would require quite a bit more metal in the transformer cores. No wonder the manufacturer doesn't provide much in the way of specs!

I tamed the problem by reducing levels 10 dB, but that's not an ideal solution. At some point I'm going to have to get a couple of better transformers.

I am checking "recommended" with the caveat that you keep signal levels very low.

Yes, I would recommend this to a frien

May 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #17,435 of 46,554
I got my HD650s today. They sound amazing right out of the box! So you guys say it'll get better as it burns-in. I'm listening to it out of Meridian Explorer's headphone jack. Seems to drive HD650s very well.

May 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #17,436 of 46,554
So far I've listened to: Lady of my Life by George Benson, Instant Crush by Daft Punk, North Pole by Solid Globe (State of Trance 600 album), China Girl by David Bowie. These headphones sound perfect all genres. Very versatile.

May 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #17,437 of 46,554
  So far I've listened to: Lady of my Life by George Benson, Instant Crush by Daft Punk, North Pole by Solid Globe (State of Trance 600 album), China Girl by David Bowie. These headphones sound perfect all genres. Very versatile.

If your's are brand new...then yes, they will sound better after they burn in.

May 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #17,439 of 46,554
First, my Schiit Valhalla is on it's way, set to arrive Saturday. The Folks at Schiit are amazing, Nick and Laura kudos!!!! I ordered the Valhalla today at 4:00 PM Central and just received an email with the tracking number, awesome customer service!!!

I look forward to noting my impressions of the synergy with my HD650's, limited comparisons in-house, a Fiio E09K and a Music Fidelity ax-Can v3, more to come....

May 14, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #17,440 of 46,554
Continuing to enjoy the journey with my new HD 650s...

I've been listening to a wide variety of stuff I haven't listen to for while; tonight I played Cream "White Room" and was really blown away at the sound of Ginger Baker's drums.  I replayed that track about 5 times and I think I am starting to get why people really love these phones.

May 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #17,442 of 46,554
It's very early days yet as I received the HD650 today, but I think I'm another one of those weirdos who prefers it to the LCD-2. For me, the better headphone will always be the one that gets me tapping my toes and lost in the music more - I really couldn't care less about which headphone is technically better.

Out of the T1, SR325is, LCD-2 Rev 2 and HD600 listening through the V200, the HD650 is the winner for pure musical enjoyment, to my ears.

It will be interesting when the HE-500 arrives though.

May 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #17,443 of 46,554
Yep, I've never listened to a headphone which got me moving as much as these. They've got such a fantastic sense of meter, I guess we call it PRAT and I am constantly playing air bass, drums, keys, horns, guitar and clapping, tapping and stomping away. I find I can only sit down for a few minutes before I'm up on my feet, they just sound best when I'm moving along with the music.

May 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #17,444 of 46,554
Everyone seems to want the HE-500s.  Why is nobody getting the HE-560s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back