Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #15,033 of 46,554

I'm continuing to use the LCD-2.. and it's impressing me (more) with every passing hour of use.  The Ember is a wonderful match w/ it, btw.  It isn't a 'tube-y' sounding hybrid, either.. it's just very clean and transparent to the tube used.  An hour or so ago, I rolled in a USA-made Amperex PQ 6922 w/ a "D-Getter" (it's said this tube comes fairly close to approximating the sound of the famed/obscenely expensive/practically extinct/holy grail of tubes, the 'pinched waist').  Anyways, I hooked up the LCD-2.. and oh my goodness.. I was stunned with the sound flowing into my ears.  I'm tempted to get my hands on a relatively inexpensive SS desktop amp (an Audio-GD amp, perhaps?) out of curiosity and see how the LCD-2 likes that.

Back to the 650/Crack: my SB'ed Crack isn't stock.. the output caps are film caps, and the last PS cap is bypassed with an AuriCap.  Also, I have an Alps Blue Velvet pot.

Have you tried the Ember with the 650's and the Amperex PQ 6922?  I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you do.  Also, could you send a link to where you bought the tube please?  I just rolled in a Westinghouse 12au7/ECC82 black carbonized plates tube raised []-getter tube and it opened up the 650's even more than the other tubes I have.  Better sound stage, much more detail.  Thank

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #15,034 of 46,554
Here's a great HD650 stand, doesn't compress the headband or pads at all:

http://wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html

Appreciate the suggestion, but I actually already own one of those. If you squint, you might be able to make part of it out in my avatar in fact. I agree that it is a very nice, solid, low profile stand. I'm just looking for something cheaper for some of my lesser headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #15,036 of 46,554
  Thanks! I have seen some cheaper (~50% off) at ebay. Has anyone tried them?

Yes, I was stupid enough to buy the cheap Chinese knockoff pads for HD 650/HD 600 on ebay. They are not the same quality at all and they won't even sit snug in the cup because the locking mechanism on them is a bit to big. They come popping out all the time. Will trim the plastic on them to see if it works out. Have also sent the seller a complaint. Bought thinking it would be fun to try something other than stock pads, and it's ok that they don't have the same quality foam etc, but at least they should fit.

I'll get originals from ebay.de next time. They're cheaper there than locally. Here the pads are like 1/6th the price of a new pair of 650's, which I find utterly ridiculous.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #15,037 of 46,554
What's the difference in sound quality between the Schiit Vahalla and Lyr when paired with the Uber Bifrost? I'm strongly considering the Uber Bifrost, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two amps, specifically how they affect the HD 650s.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #15,038 of 46,554
  What's the difference in sound quality between the Schiit Vahalla and Lyr when paired with the Uber Bifrost? I'm strongly considering the Uber Bifrost, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two amps, specifically how they affect the HD 650s.

The Schiit Vahalla is a bit brighter and pairs better with the HD650 than the Lyr, IMO.  

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #15,039 of 46,554

The Schiit Vahalla is a bit brighter and pairs better with the HD650 than the Lyr, IMO.  

I see you have the Lyr listed in your signature. What's your reason for using that over the Valhalla? For your other headphones?

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #15,041 of 46,554

Actually the Lyr is a very good all-rounder amp and I prefer the Valhalla over Lyr only for the HD650. 

I see. Well, I'd prefer not to destroy my wallet completely so I'm hoping I won't be tempted to get different headphones. The HD 650s themselves sound great, but I need a good amp and DAC. I'm currently using the HeadRoom Desktop Amp, but it feels as though something is missing. I'd also like to dabble in the tube world.

Another question: How hot does this combo run? I've read that these Schiit amps can get quite toasty. I don't mind that in itself, but I typically place my on a glass desk, near my mouse/right hand. Am I going to start feeling uncomfortable after a while because of the heat?

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #15,042 of 46,554
  I see. Well, I'd prefer not to destroy my wallet completely so I'm hoping I won't be tempted to get different headphones. The HD 650s themselves sound great, but I need a good amp and DAC. I'm currently using the HeadRoom Desktop Amp, but it feels as though something is missing. I'd also like to dabble in the tube world.

Another question: How hot does this combo run? I've read that these Schiit amps can get quite toasty. I don't mind that in itself, but I typically place my on a glass desk, near my mouse/right hand. Am I going to start feeling uncomfortable after a while because of the heat?

All the Schiit amps run hot, but I think you won't have issues with your glass desk specially if you put it on the Bifrost. My Lyr is also near my mouse on the right hand.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #15,043 of 46,554

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #15,045 of 46,554

Yes, I was stupid enough to buy the cheap Chinese knockoff pads for HD 650/HD 600 on ebay. They are not the same quality at all and they won't even sit snug in the cup because the locking mechanism on them is a bit to big. They come popping out all the time. Will trim the plastic on them to see if it works out. Have also sent the seller a complaint. Bought thinking it would be fun to try something other than stock pads, and it's ok that they don't have the same quality foam etc, but at least they should fit.

I'll get originals from ebay.de next time. They're cheaper there than locally. Here the pads are like 1/6th the price of a new pair of 650's, which I find utterly ridiculous.

Many thanks, you saved me the frustration. Would you know of any ebay.de seller in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back