Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #257 of 380
  Can anyone recommend a good cable to go with these? I'm aware of Moon Audio but don't really want to splash out to that degree and was looking for something more UK/Euro based. 

I would recommend Oyaide's HPC-HD25 cable. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere though.

If you're looking for a custom cable in the EU, a couple of places I'd recommend are Custom Cans in the UK and Forza AudioWorks in Poland. In fact, Jason (of Custom Cans) did the review on page one of this thread!

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #258 of 380
At those prices, you sure you don't want to get the Aluminums. Same drivers as the regular HD25 gain the advantages of the aluminum cup and get the definitive HD25 edition.

As far as parts, the only thing different about the aluminum edition are those cups. The rest of the parts are interchangeable.

Granted I prefer the look of regular black HD25 or blue Amperior over the silver Aluminums. Not a big deal if the sonics are better.

I prefer the all black look as well.... Well on one hand yes the alus are tempting for that price.... But its a oitty they opted for a 2m cable.... Portability is a bit screwed by that and i wasnt planning to change the cable until it stops working...

Is that a fact then? I don't think there is anything on Sennheiser's site or in the tech specs to confirm it - I assume it to be the case as well, but never seen it confirmed officially.

EDIT: Actually forget that, page one of this thread makes it clear they are the same drivers, sorry! Must learn to read more carefully... :confused_face:

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #259 of 380
I'm with you Malfunkt. Looking at the difference in price I'd go for the ALU instantly and not worry about parts. It's still the same robust HD25 which should last many years with normal use. But..a few tenners seem to matter to Pedro or he would have pulled the trigger already. 

it is a question of a few tenners and at the same time its not...

On one hand i know the alu is probably better overall... But on the other habd the amperior was also better (or at least it was supposed to be) and as i said i would always pick the hd25 over the amperior. The other thing is the aluminium cups wich i found heavy for the headband on the amperior (although with the new pleather pads the grip must be better) and the 2 meter cable.

its not that i cant get the alus... After selling my amperiors and hd25s i now have 280 euros to spend on headphones. But my intention is to use the budget to buy a hd25 and a proper over ear wich must be a dt770 or a m50x or maybe all 3 since i have a good proposal.... a mint condition and still in warranty 250ohm dt770 for 80 euros...

i also thought of getting the momentum over ear 2.0 because i loved the sound of the first one (small pads ruined everything) but the cheapest place i can buy them is on amazon.de for 240 wich in my opinion is just toomuch money for a pair.... i think i prefer to invest in 2 or 3 different but good and reliable headphones instead of spending everything in a really good one like the momentum...

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #260 of 380
go_quote.gif

I would recommend Oyaide's HPC-HD25 cable. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere though.

If you're looking for a custom cable in the EU, a couple of places I'd recommend are Custom Cans in the UK and Forza AudioWorks in Poland. In fact, Jason (of Custom Cans) did the review on page one of this thread!

Currently living in Budapest, and I also had good experience with Forza, so +1 for me

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #262 of 380
Go for it! Definitely take the two or even three headphones man. Enough talking already :p

is it such a good deal? :)

i always wanted to try the 32 or 80 ohm version but now they are too expensive (always above 150 new). Problem is i will be forced to get an amp... Usually i like easy to drive headphones but i am sure my ipad air 2 wont be able to power them

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #264 of 380
I had the original and while they are fairly balanced they are far from neutral sounding hp. If strict sound isolation is a must then they are okay, because isolation comes with a cost/sound compromises.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #265 of 380

I took a half hour or so and rewired my HP 25 1 ii with this Oyaide copper cable from Japan.

So I've been with this audio hobby a pretty long time and obviously have heard all kinds of stuff.

But I'll tell you I was blown away at the difference between this cable and the stock cable,
which we all know is made of steel.  The soundstage opened immensely (comparatively speaking),
the sound softened, those were the first two differences I heard.  Then came the tighter bass, the
extra sparkle without harshness to the treble...

I also have the Amperiors (blue).  I've not sat down for a real listening session between the Amperiors
and the rewired 25's so I won't speak to the differences between them.  But I most highly recommend
replacing the stock steel cable of the HP 25 1 ii's with a pure copper cable of high quality, Oyaide or
otherwise.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #267 of 380
I can get a pair of alus for 130 euros. Mint condition bought on thomann 3 months ago. Good deal?

My main worry is the 2 metre cable.... is it suitable for portable use?

Cheers

Sounds like a decent price - cheapest I've seen em go for used on eBay is about 120 EUR. The 2m cable isn't ideal though IMO (first thing I did was swap it out) but it might be something you could live with until you could afford to replace it. I really don't know why Senn decided to go with such a long stock cable for what is clearly a portable headphone.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #268 of 380

The 2m cable isn't ideal though IMO (first thing I did was swap it out) but it might be something you could live with until you could afford to replace it. I really don't know why Senn decided to go with such a long stock cable for what is clearly a portable headphone.

Because these are primarily DJ HP's. & DJ's need decent cable length to move around the decks.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #270 of 380
I can't imagine a more enjoyable headphone. Something about on-ears make the positioning of the drivers stupid easy - something that costs much more for an over-ear to positions correctly.
With the durability of the HD-25 and the user replaceable parts, i'm surprised this isn't more recommended.
Except the comfort. To my disbelief, and while I contemplated selling them, the headband has seemed to relieve much of the pressure. The pressure only bugged me on the edges of my ears though, like at the roof of the earlobe. While I can't say whether I could sit at a desk all day and listen to these, their tolerances have gone from 2 hours to 6+. I was deadshot at getting the HD-25 normal, except for the improved pads of the aluminium.

The biggest difference I have had in these has been in using Custom Cans 8 pound modding kit. There's a YouTube video on it.

I won't speak fondly for the stupid long steel, straight cable.
You won't hear me talking of its prettiness, nor will I speak well of the extra seconds it takes to find the right fit.
With the mod though, it sounds very dynamic with each song it plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back