Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,201 of 9,326

Contacted Sennheiser Canada , and they said said no problem "Send it in" but it looks like it'll be a 4-5 week turn around before parts are available
frown.gif
, that sucks!

Ok my HD700s are off to Sennheiser, see you folks in 4-5 weeks, hopefully sooner  than later. If they replace them then I'll need to another couple weeks of burn-in, oh well back to my HD580/600s and AKG K701s.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,203 of 9,326
Well it's settled. I've put my HE-400 up for sale. The HD 700 made me do it.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,204 of 9,326
Sennheiser should put steel on that part.

I feel the sound of 700 is great, some said it's treble is too bright and not nature. Any compare with hd800 here?

The HD700, to my ears, is not "too bright." Others will disagree, of course. To my thinking, however, it's more accurate to call both the HD700 and 800 "energetic" or "detailed" or "lively." If you're sensitive to fully present treble, however, you may prefer the HD600 or HD650.  Or, better yet, the LCD2. All these phones are known to "shelve" the treble, thus producing a sound some might be inclined to call “warm,” or “dark,” or even “analogue.” The HD700 and HD800 take a different approach. You’ll either love this or you won’t.

Regarding the HD800—here’s something you should keep in mind: they are incredibly detailed headphones. Yes, they are more detailed than the HD700, and by a good margin too. So if detail is your fetish, by all means, buy the HD800! But remember, your choice of amp will make or break the HD800, so choose wisely. With the right equipment, however, the HD800 produces very smooth treble, the type you can just forget about. What you’ll hear instead of treble is music—or rather, instruments in their respective environments. If you’re the type to listen to music in a dark room, then you’ll hear even more: the resonance of an acoustic guitar and its echo as it splashes off a studio wall, say, or the subtle inhalation of breath in what you once thought was a silent moment. Indeed, you will even hear unintentional background noises:  a distant cough, a whispered curse, someone’s squeaky tennis shoes.

In my experience, only the HD800 can extract these kinds of details from my music. But this isn’t always a positive thing. I think in some ways the HD800 overshoots its mark. Sure, the HD800 is rightfully considered a window into your music, but it’s also a window into the production of that music. In this regard, the HD700, hits the bull’s-eye: it stops just shy of all those distracting “micro-details,” allowing you the opportunity to just relax and enjoy your music. If I’m in an “analytical” mood, I always reach for the HD800: really, nothing else will do. But if I need to unwind, I’ll reach for either the HD650 or the HE500, or even the HE400—a controversial headphone I still love. But mostly, nowadays, I just reach for the HD700—and I think that tells you a lot.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,206 of 9,326

Someone posted this up a handful of pages back.  Apparently, it fits the HD700 pretty dang good.  I saved it in case I decide I want to start bringing mine to the office one day or something.
http://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-SL-HP-07/dp/B009NE7B06

Yes, I posted that the Slappa case is a near perfect fit. The only exception would be that the headband area is large enough that when shaken, you would be able to hear the headpiece going back and forth. The earpieces would not be moving though. And the case has plenty of space in the center for cables/dacs/amps if placed in a baggy. I transport HD700, USB OTG adapter (4 inches), a 2ft usb cable, an HRT microStreamer, a FiiO E12, and a 4" 3.5mm cable all in the center of the case. And the HD700 replacement cable i got off ebay. It all fits, and I feel comfortable jamming it into my tightly packed laptop bag. I'd wager that if my bag were slightly crushed, that my laptop lid would crack/damage before this case and its contents.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,207 of 9,326
The HD700, to my ears, is not "too bright." Others will disagree, of course. To my thinking, however, it's more accurate to call both the HD700 and 800 "energetic" or "detailed" or "lively." If you're sensitive to fully present treble, however, you may prefer the HD600 or HD650.  Or, better yet, the LCD2. All these phones are known to "shelve" the treble, thus producing a sound some might be inclined to call “warm,” or “dark,” or even “analogue.” The HD700 and HD800 take a different approach. You’ll either love this or you won’t.

Regarding the HD800—here’s something you should keep in mind: they are incredibly detailed headphones. Yes, they are more detailed than the HD700, and by a good margin too. So if detail is your fetish, by all means, buy the HD800! But remember, your choice of amp will make or break the HD800, so choose wisely. Withthe right equipment, however, the HD800 produces very smooth treble, the type you can just forget about. What you’ll hear instead of treble is music—or rather, instruments in their respective environments. If you’re the type to listen to music in a dark room, then you’ll hear even more: the resonance of an acoustic guitar and its echo as it splashes off a studio wall, say, or the subtle inhalation of breath in what you once thought was a silent moment. Indeed, you will even hear unintentional background noises:  a distant cough, a whispered curse, someone’s squeaky tennis shoes.

In my experience, only the HD800 can extract these kinds of details from my music. But this isn’t always a positive thing. I think in some ways the HD800 overshoots its mark. Sure, the HD800 is rightfully considered a window into your music, but it’s also a window into the production of that music. In this regard, the HD700, hits the bull’s-eye: it stops just shy of all those distracting “micro-details,” allowing you the opportunity to just relax and enjoy your music. If I’m in an “analytical” mood, I always reach for the HD800: really, nothing else will do. But if I need to unwind, I’ll reach for either the HD650 or the HE500, or even the HE400—a controversial headphone I still love. But mostly, nowadays, I just reach for the HD700—and I think that tells you a lot.

Well said, I think you accurately portray the signature sound of the HD700 and 800 to a T.
For me and anyone interested If you like this type of sound signature take the opportunity if possible to audition them, they are extremely revealing and comfortable.
The greatest attributes for the phones are bass is tight and very accurate never muddy and uncontrollable, the mid are very detailed same with the highs and the imaging is extremely focused and dead center.

I was just listening to the remix of Rush Vapor trails a record that was plagued with compression issues, clipping etc before this new remix, and man it's been fun as a Rush fan to experience all the new details which these phones do so well.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,208 of 9,326
Jan 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,209 of 9,326
I found for some pop songs, hd700 is sibilant. Wondering if sennheiser compared the sound with actual singer?

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,211 of 9,326
Jan 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,213 of 9,326
I am using sony cd2000es and rega ear, played about 50 hours.

The Rega Ear brings back memories, back in 2003 it was a toss up with the Creek OBH-11, but in the end I went for the Creek OBH-11SE rev B class “A”.

Not to knock the Rega but the "Ear" and Creek OBH-11/11SEs have been dethroned a long time ago and you're HD700s deserve a lot better.
But like all things in life it comes down to budget; but you can be assured that your Senns will sound better and better as you improve the upstream components.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,214 of 9,326
  The Rega Ear brings back memories, back in 2003 it was a toss up with the Creek OBH-11, but in the end I went for the Creek OBH-11SE rev B class “A”.

Not to knock the Rega but the "Ear" and Creek OBH-11/11SEs have been dethroned a long time ago and you're HD700s deserve a lot better.
But like all things in life it comes down to budget; but you can be assured that your Senns will sound better and better as you improve the upstream components.
wink.gif

I don't think amplifier has any improvement on technology. Actually this review also said about sibilant,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Seems I only have it on some pop songs, not as heavy as the review.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,215 of 9,326

I don't think amplifier has any improvement on technology. Actually this review also said about sibilant,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Seems I only have it on some pop songs, not as heavy as the review.

I was reminiscing on my original foray into dedicated head-amps and that as I moved up the chain the improvements were rewarding in terms of overall sound quality and music appreciation.
Yes and it is true amplifier design had not changed radically for many years, most of the current advancements are mostly addressing the noise floor and the ability to handle impedance matching by giving more attention to the importance to the power supply with regards to voltage and current requirements for different headsets. With regards to the Rega and Creeks the power supplies IMO were not fully integrated into getting optimum performance from the amp itself, to some the advancements over the last ten years may appear subtle but the current crop of headphones, like the HD700s for example are quite capable of revealing those improvements.

As impressive as DavidMahler's undertakings are they are still only the opinions of one man.
For example on his review of the HD700s
Weakness
SIBILANT: Harsh treble is typically accompanied by sibilance, so this particular commentary is kind of redundant. The HD700's sound signature happens to be noticeably sibilant.”

I agree with most of his observations but I’ve yet to experience neither harshness nor sibilance with regards to the treble so I would need to totally disagree with that assessment after more than fifty hours of intense listening with a vast array of music genres.
If ones does hear it on the occasional song I would be more inclined to blame the recording, not the phones.

I should add that David Mahler may in fact heard what he  heard, the question is why, or why don't I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back