Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,171 of 9,327
My feelings concerning the HE-500 shift from day to day; some days, I feel that the HE-500 is quintessentially linear in character, never exaggerating any part of the frequency response, always reproducing my music with the most impressive faithfulness and warmth--and the very next day, KAPOW, my opinion shifts, and I think "Oh my! This sounds just a little boring." I still plan to keep my Hi-FiMan headphones, mostly because I'm not married to one sound-signature, and what bores me today may enthrall me tomorrow. My feelings, by contrast, regarding the HD700 are rock-solid. The 700's sound-signature just does it for me, and though I might opine from time to time that the HD700 isn't the measure of its bigger brother, I'm convinced that the  HD700 produces the most satisfying bass I've ever heard. Sure, the HD800 reaches deeper (far deeper) into well-recorded/well-mastered music; its bass, consequently, is cleaner and more holographic. But the HD700, by contrast, is concealing something special up its sleeves—that's to say, its bass is strikingly lean yet thumpy. I can't explain this any better; it seems almost paradoxical. Many headphones achieve this kind of bass presence by beefing up the mid-bass, which almost always detracts from the mid-range (Think Denon headphones). But somehow this is not the case with the HD700; its bass is scrupulously clean, but when my music requires slam, the HD700 always produces it with startling authority. IMHO, this is the HD700's most impressive attribute. 

Get the Emotiva for the HE-500 if you want bass impact. But I know what you mean on the bass. My chain gives the HD800 that same kind of "wet" bass as others have described for planars that adds body and tactility to instrumentation.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,172 of 9,327
MERDE!!

Thought I was noticing a slight dB differences between the left and right drivers, the right having maybe 2-3 dBs more volume (might just be my imagination), so in trying to see if it was how the left ear cup was sitting on my ear and while moving it around trying different positions I heard a slight crack. Sure enough upon visual inspection I managed to somehow crack the silver edging on the front, and they’re less than 3 weeks old.
frown.gif

Hate to need to worry if they are indeed fragile little creatures
Anyone know if these are totally modular like the HD600 series, maybe I can just order the trim although I’ll contact Sennheiser tomorrow to know for sure.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,173 of 9,327
  MERDE!!

Thought I was noticing a slight dB differences between the left and right drivers, the right having maybe 2-3 dBs more volume (might just be my imagination), so in trying to see if it was how the left ear cup was sitting on my ear and while moving it around trying different positions I heard a slight crack. Sure enough upon visual inspection I managed to somehow crack the silver edging on the front, and they’re less than 3 weeks old.
frown.gif

Anyone know if these are totally modular like the HD600 series, maybe I can just order the trim although I’ll contact Sennheiser tomorrow to know for sure.

Oh jeez. That sucks. They don't seem that fragile. I can't imagine replacement parts being too hard to come by (much like the HD 600 and HD 650), but I also have no experience sourcing them. Definitely interested in what more experienced users have to say about this.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,174 of 9,327
Having owned both the HD700 and HD800, I can confirm that despite similar appearances, the build quality of the HD700 is far inferior. On the same part next to the pads, the HD800 has a metal frame. As such, the issues HD800 owners deal with are chipped paint as opposed to a cracked frame. Shame Sennheiser had to skimp on details like this for a headphone that was originally retailing at $1000.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,175 of 9,327
Get the Emotiva for the HE-500 if you want bass impact. But I know what you mean on the bass. My chain gives the HD800 that same kind of "wet" bass as others have described for planars that adds body and tactility to instrumentation.

Before I got my Bryston BHA-1 I was using the Pre section of a Bryston B60R SST (integrated 60 watt) to control my 2BLP pro 60 watt amp (pro version which has a headphone out with the proper resistors) which was great, obvious noise at full volume which I'd would never even get close to, but it was a great combo to run difficult phones.

Was going to get Bryston to mod my B60s 'headphone out' so that it was powered by the amp section (same as the 2BLP pro) and not the preamp, but  decided a better solution was just to sell the B60R and get the BHA-1.  What's great is that I still use the 2BLP pro off the balanced pre outs of the BHA-1, they both sound very similar but the 2BLP pro has a lot more gain and I use that for watching movies.
wink.gif

Integrated and power amps will normally have more inherent hiss or noise, which may not be evident unless turned up all the way but may still impart some signature on the noise floor, the BHA-1 is dead silent and it's noticeable by its absence.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,176 of 9,327
  Having owned both the HD700 and HD800, I can confirm that despite similar appearances, the build quality of the HD700 is far inferior. On the same part next to the pads, the HD800 has a metal frame. As such, the issues HD800 owners deal with are chipped paint as opposed to a cracked frame. Shame Sennheiser had to skimp on details like this for a headphone that was originally retailing at $1000.

My thoughts exactly, love this phone but this little incident has me concerned as I'm sure at one point or another I'll end up dropping them. My other Senns, AKGs and Grados have suffered the inevitable crash to the floor a few times over the years without damage.
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,178 of 9,327
  MERDE!!

frown.gif

Contact Sennheiser, they will replace them if you have warranty for sure. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,179 of 9,327
You might even be able to get them replaced from the vendor you bought it from if still within return period.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,180 of 9,327
I found something I don't like about the can! Kinda happy I did too because I didn't want it to be a "love is blind" relationship. The indents for the band adjustment, they are far too weak to keep the adjustment in place as I move the can on and off my head. I use four clicks on each side for me. It doesn't change all the time, but I am aware of it when placing them on and taking them off as the drivers will sometimes slide downward. The resistance is greater towards the longer end, but my head isn't that huge. Alright, nothing to see here. Move along.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,181 of 9,327
  I would seriously suggest staying away from the HD700. Wait for Senn to release an HD750. The HD700 has caused tinnitus for some people (hearing damage). 

This might be a sad coincidence, but I got tinnitus into my left ear soon after I got my HD700s. It's been four weeks now and this has been by far the most stressfull situation in my life so far... :frowning2:

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,182 of 9,327

This might be a sad coincidence, but I got tinnitus into my left ear soon after I got my HD700s. It's been four weeks now and this has been by far the most stressfull situation in my life so far... :frowning2:

sorry to hear that mate... I have tinnitus as well, and my best advice to you would be to just relax and not fret about it... you do get used to it after a while and forget about it. Having white noise around you helps as well. I usually leave the fan on in my room to generate white noise and it helps to drown out the ringing in my ear.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,184 of 9,327
Contacted Sennheiser Canada , and they said said no problem "Send it in" but it looks like it'll be a 4-5 week turn around before parts are available :frowning2: , that sucks!

What's problem on your 700?

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,185 of 9,327
What's problem on your 700?

MERDE!!

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back