Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #7,576 of 9,326
  Little Dot MK2 here with the warmest Mullards in the Little Dot thread.

I gotta say, I am a big big fan of this combo.

Last night I was using this combo:           (Gave the Asgard 2 a break and my Little Dot MK III is waiting for a new Volume Pot)

jRiver 24/96 kHz > Marantz NA 7004 Music Server > Musical Fidelity M1 Dac > Little Dot 1+ w/ Jan 5654's > HD 700 with Black Dragon v2 Cable.  Bass was tight and deep, Mids were clear and highs were not bright.  Again it all depends on music type and Dac.  (Also in jRiver one can really get granular by adding the Parametric EQ and fine tune to exactly what you need.)

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #7,577 of 9,326
I'm seriously thinking of getting the HD 700, which are available really cheaply now. However, the stock cable is just far too long for my purposes and I'd need a shorter replacement. I have the newer Hifiman 400i with the 2.5mm connectors. Does anyone knows if that stock cable (which is a perfect length for me) will work with the 2.5mm connectors on the 700?

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #7,578 of 9,326
  I'm seriously thinking of getting the HD 700, which are available really cheaply now. However, the stock cable is just far too long for my purposes and I'd need a shorter replacement. I have the newer Hifiman 400i with the 2.5mm connectors. Does anyone knows if that stock cable (which is a perfect length for me) will work with the 2.5mm connectors on the 700?

Probably not since the stock 400i cable lacks the flat key of the original HD700 cable.  If you get an after market cable with the extra long step down then it should fit both HD700 and 400i

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #7,579 of 9,326

Yes it does, I've got the balanced version of the HE400i cable and use it with both headphones.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,580 of 9,326
Thanks for your replies. I may get the 700s later this week and I'll let you know if the 400i cable works.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #7,581 of 9,326

Yes the 400i cable works. I had the He-400S which also used the same 2.5mm connector to the headphone and is easily interchangeable with the HD700S. I'm not sure of the purpose the groove in the original cable serves. I actually purchased a custom made cable (cheap, like $30) for the 400S, before I got my HD700, and the custom cable worked too on the 700.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7,582 of 9,326
After my first week with them I'm quite enjoying the HD700, definitely the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Best quality bass I've heard as well although I wouldn't mind a bit more subbass impact. Soundstage is also the widest I've ever heard and combined with great depth and height it still feels pretty natural. Highs are slightly thin so there's some occasional sibilance but nothing bad with good music and source, less strident than my 325is more a bit thin. Resolution is on par with the Grados that's my reference for it so all in all a very enjoyable and crazy comfortable pair of headphones. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping them.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #7,586 of 9,326
  Yes the 400i cable works. I had the He-400S which also used the same 2.5mm connector to the headphone and is easily interchangeable with the HD700S. I'm not sure of the purpose the groove in the original cable serves. I actually purchased a custom made cable (cheap, like $30) for the 400S, before I got my HD700, and the custom cable worked too on the 700.

I got the HD700 yesterday and the 400i cable does not work. (Though the HD700 cable works fine with the 400i). Is there a trick to putting these in since they lack the groove on the stock 700 connector? The 400i connector goes into the 700 jack well enough, though it does not seem to fit as snugly as stock, but there is no sound no matter how much I try to adjust the connector. For the moment, I am using the stock cable with about half the length coiled and held with plastic ties, which is better than using the full 3 meters, but not optimum since the cable kinks easily and I am trying to keep the weight of the coiled cable off the connections. I generally end up with the coil on my lap. I use the 700s with the amp next to my laptop or on a table next to my chair when watching TV, so a heavy 3m cable does not work well.

BTW, I'm very happy with the 700 so far. The imaging is phenomenal.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #7,587 of 9,326

Quote:
  I got the HD700 yesterday and the 400i cable does not work. (Though the HD700 cable works fine with the 400i). Is there a trick to putting these in since they lack the groove on the stock 700 connector? The 400i connector goes into the 700 jack well enough, though it does not seem to fit as snugly as stock, but there is no sound no matter how much I try to adjust the connector. For the moment, I am using the stock cable with about half the length coiled and held with plastic ties, which is better than using the full 3 meters, but not optimum since the cable kinks easily and I am trying to keep the weight of the coiled cable off the connections. I generally end up with the coil on my lap. I use the 700s with the amp next to my laptop or on a table next to my chair when watching TV, so a heavy 3m cable does not work well.

There is no "trick", the HE400i "stock" cable does not work since it does not go in far enough.  After market cable that work for both the HD700 and 2.5mm of Hifiman and Audio Quest headphones have a longer step down barrel, like this:

While the original cable from hifiman lacks the longer step down so it will not fit where the HD700 jacks have the key/flat area on them.  Its what I posted a few days ago.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,588 of 9,326

There's no trick, just put them in there:

Does the connectors your stock cable look like this?

Edit: It's what I posted a few days ago :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #7,589 of 9,326
There's no trick, just put them in there:

Does the connectors your stock cable look like this?

Edit: It's what I posted a few days ago
wink.gif

Yes, they look exactly like that (as far as I know, all OEM cables for the 400i are identical since Hifiman switched from the old screw type connector). But, no, they don't work with my 700. Assuming there isn't a "trick," I can't explain why it works for you but not for me.

There is no "trick", the HE400i "stock" cable does not work since it does not go in far enough.  After market cable that work for both the HD700 and 2.5mm of Hifiman and Audio Quest headphones have a longer step down barrel, like this:

While the original cable from hifiman lacks the longer step down so it will not fit where the HD700 jacks have the key/flat area on them.  Its what I posted a few days ago.

This appears to be correct. Thanks for the responses.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #7,590 of 9,326
Yes, they look exactly like that (as far as I know, all OEM cables for the 400i are identical since Hifiman switched from the old screw type connector). But, no, they don't work with my 700. Assuming there isn't a "trick," I can't explain why it works for you but not for me.

This appears to be correct. Thanks for the responses.

That's indeed strange, are you sure you're pushing them all the way in?

This makes me curious.....

Edit: I'm listening to my pair right now with the HE400i cable so yes it definitely works for me.

On another note I got my Geek Out V2+ back today after not having access to it for a long time (we had a fire in our house) and man does the HD700 sounds good from its balanced output. Made me order a dedicated balanced cable from VE for it straight away so that I don't have to share balanced cable with the HE400i anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back