Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #4,651 of 9,326
  I just got my connectors in from China and I made a balanced cable for my HD700. The sound has improved with smoother treble and more control over the bass, but otherwise it's mostly the same as out of my V200.

no substantial sonic upgrade after the cable upgrade?

i wonder anybody here tried CH700S balanced cable from sennheiser. although at $300++ :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #4,652 of 9,326
Cables make little to no difference. It's all placebo. That's like saying power cables make a difference. I used to believe in that stuff but now think it's all hokus pokus.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #4,656 of 9,326
I found my HD700 for $465 (bidding, well) on Ebay, but it included toxic cables that worth around $150...
so..... I basically bought a HD700 itself for $315.
you should be able to find cheap prices if you be patient..

(I hated  the seller because he sent the hd700 on media mail, he was supposed to send it in priority; which made headphones deliver a week late)

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #4,657 of 9,326
  I got another HD700 from Ebay...
god.... they still sound really fun...
I cry everytime.
Feels like the beyer's T1 is overpriced when I listened to this again lol.
(nah, T1 still sounded really nice to me.)

Just curious: what do you have for an amp? I am on the fence about adding a T1 to the stable, mostly because of what I've read about its synergy with my current amp.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4,659 of 9,326
At the massdrop price i think it's extremely good value. I think i got it at about the same price as MD from an Australian retailer. I do agree the treble is slightly high initially, but after the burn in period its smoothen out

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,661 of 9,326
Ok.

Just got these.

$400 shipped, used, only stipulation is that the stock cable is shorted. An aftermarket one has been provided as a substitute.

Bass immediately sounds offensive. Rolls off too early. Flabby and thick. Wait, why do these sound dark? Aren't these supposed to be bright? Turn them up a little. Holy ****, nothing could have prepared me for that treble. These sound super metallic. Gross, wow. Everything sounds wrong. Midrange is recessed. Upper midrange is almost absent. Treble is violent and sporadic. Ow.

Resolution is good, clarity is not due to recessed upper midrange. Soundstage is above average. Comfort is absolutely fantastic; almost better than HD800. Build is good. Frequency response appears to be the only massive issue with this headphone.

Bizarrely, these are the most tolerable with electronic music. I was expecting otherwise as most electronica is mixed poorly (brightly). The moment anything recorded comes into play, I want to gingerly rip them off of my skull.

More to come as I get used to them.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,662 of 9,326
I'm gonna take a wild stab, admittedly not having experienced the headphones myself (looking into them), and say something is incredibly wrong in your chain somewhere. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,663 of 9,326
  I'm gonna take a wild stab, admittedly not having experienced the headphones myself (looking into them), and say something is incredibly wrong in your chain somewhere. 

No. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,664 of 9,326
I am thinking about replacing the stock cable that comes with the HD700 with either the molecule cable from DHC or the black dragon from Moon Audio.  Anyone tried both on the HD700?  Having a hard time deciding which one i should be getting...  both are just as expensive. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #4,665 of 9,326
  Ok.

Just got these.

$400 shipped, used, only stipulation is that the stock cable is shorted. An aftermarket one has been provided as a substitute.

Bass immediately sounds offensive. Rolls off too early. Flabby and thick. Wait, why do these sound dark? Aren't these supposed to be bright? Turn them up a little. Holy ****, nothing could have prepared me for that treble. These sound super metallic. Gross, wow. Everything sounds wrong. Midrange is recessed. Upper midrange is almost absent. Treble is violent and sporadic. Ow.

Resolution is good, clarity is not due to recessed upper midrange. Soundstage is above average. Comfort is absolutely fantastic; almost better than HD800. Build is good. Frequency response appears to be the only massive issue with this headphone.

Bizarrely, these are the most tolerable with electronic music. I was expecting otherwise as most electronica is mixed poorly (brightly). The moment anything recorded comes into play, I want to gingerly rip them off of my skull.

More to come as I get used to them.

Hard to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back