Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #2,431 of 6,778
I actually had the HDVA600 retired and was only using the Sony WM-1A as a source. For the HD660S it made no real difference, but I must say for the HD660S2 it is a revelation. Mike you are buying the HD660S2 sooner or later, with this amp you won't regret.
Thanks Rob for mentioning the Sennheiser amps. I missed a lot. Oh that authority....

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,432 of 6,778
I actually had the HDVA600 retired and was only using the Sony WM-1A as a source. For the HD660S it made no real difference, but I must say for the HD660S2 it is a revelation. Mike you are buying the HD660S2 sooner or later, with this amp you won't regret.
Thanks Rob for mentioning the Sennheiser amps. I missed a lot. Oh that authority....
Peter, I’ll do you a deal, if you get the NDH 30 and give it fair open minded trial I’ll do the same with the HD660S2, Ok? At least we know we will be using the same amp! 😉

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,433 of 6,778
Just got a pair of 660S2.

I have been looking at Sennheiser from afar for a while now and, after reading many different opinions here and there, I bought them.

Until I write my review, here's a bit of a spoiler which will give you a hint in terms of my feelings towards them: my Audeze LCD-2 Classics, Grado RS2e and Sony MDR-Z1R are now for sale 😅

In the meantime… I sold all my other headphones ('just have a Massdrop x Focal Elex on its way as it's been a long time I wanted to try Focal).

While the 660S2 already were excellent via the Sony WM1AM2 (4.4 / uncapped) — I'm currently experiencing one of the best synergies I've heard in almost 10 years of hobby via the Schiit Jotunheim 2 & Multibit DAC 🥰

These Sennheiser HD660S2 are genuinely stunning – there's hardly anything missing.

They're an extremely well-rounded and mature pair of headphones I'd easily recommend to anyone.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,434 of 6,778
I bought the HD600 instead, and to my great surprise they sound several classes better than my 660s, so I couldn't be happier at the moment.
I might buy the S2 when they drop in price, but if they are an evolution of the 660s sound signature I will pass, I will give my 660s to my mother so they stay in the family, but they have no place at my home anymore.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #2,435 of 6,778
Peter, I’ll do you a deal, if you get the NDH 30 and give it fair open minded trial I’ll do the same with the HD660S2, Ok? At least we know we will be using the same amp! 😉
Lol. I suspect both of these headphones will sit on Peter's desk for a very long time.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,436 of 6,778
I bought the HD600 instead, and to my great surprise they sound several classes better than my 660s, so I couldn't be happier at the moment.
I might buy the S2 when they drop in price, but if they are an evolution of the 660s sound signature I will pass, I will give my 660s to my mother so they stay in the family, but they have no place at my home anymore.
What exactly do you like about the 600 better than 660s?

600 is the one 6 series headphone I've never heard.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,439 of 6,778
Nice try Mike, you nearly got me...

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,440 of 6,778
I don't understand why there's so much talk about the NDH 30 here. If I wanted to read about that headphone I'd go into that specific thread. If you're comparing with the 660S2 that's one thing, but all this talk specifically about the NDH 30 by itself in here is weird.
It can come across as shilling, even if it's intended in good faith, to have it show up over and over and over is an unusual pattern. You go around other threads and there's plenty of cross-talk (forgive the pun) but it's never so directed and continual about one particular alternative like this. Not even the first Sennheiser thread with it going on - it was even more out of place in the original 660S thread since that headphone has for some time now been more of a ~$300 can, half the price of the oh-so-vaunted competitor.

Plenty of good points have been brought up by members here as to why the two headphones HD-6602 and NDH-30 bear comparison and I'm not arguing against that, at least this time there's price parity - but man, it is a heavy layer nonetheless. I know y'all are different folks but the evangelistic pro-Neumann angle is so consistent that it can read at times like it was all written by one person.

It's great that it has made such an impression on owners, but that discussion seems to take up all the air in the room when it comes up, total derail in places. But, it's not my forum, I'm not trying to moderate anybody, just mildly exasperating if that's not the discussion you came to the Sennheiser HD-660S2 thread for.

I dunno, it probably isn't totally fair of me since comparisons to HD-600/650 don't bug me at all, and the Neumann is kind of a Frankenstein's monster of Sennheiser parts from the acclaimed former Sennheiser designer - I get it - maybe one day I'll try it and my third eye will open and I too will be shouting about it from the roofs :k701smile:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #2,442 of 6,778
Lol. I suspect both of these headphones will sit on Peter's desk for a very long time.
… while he listens via ZMF Atrium 🤣

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,444 of 6,778
It can come across as shilling, even if it's intended in good faith, to have it show up over and over and over is an unusual pattern. You go around other threads and there's plenty of cross-talk (forgive the pun) but it's never so directed and continual about one particular alternative like this. Not even the first Sennheiser thread with it going on - it was even more out of place in the original 660S thread since that headphone has for some time now been more of a ~$300 can, half the price of the oh-so-vaunted competitor.

Plenty of good points have been brought up by members here as to why the two headphones HD-6602 and NDH-30 bear comparison and I'm not arguing against that, at least this time there's price parity - but man, it is a heavy layer nonetheless. I know y'all are different folks but the evangelistic pro-Neumann angle is so consistent that it can read at times like it was all written by one person.

It's great that it has made such an impression on owners, but that discussion seems to take up all the air in the room when it comes up, total derail in places. But, it's not my forum, I'm not trying to moderate anybody, just mildly exasperating if that's not the discussion you came to the Sennheiser HD-660S2 thread for.

I dunno, it probably isn't totally fair of me since comparisons to HD-600/650 don't bug me at all, and the Neumann is kind of a Frankenstein's monster of Sennheiser parts from the acclaimed former Sennheiser designer - I get it - maybe one day I'll try it and my third eye will open and I too will be shouting about it from the roofs :k701smile:

Comparisons are fine and informative. But we got mult instances of literal paragraphs upon paragraphs in here of peeps just opining specifically about the NDH 30 haha

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2,445 of 6,778
In the meantime… I sold all my other headphones ('just have a Massdrop x Focal Elex on its way as it's been a long time I wanted to try Focal).

While the 660S2 already were excellent via the Sony WM1AM2 (4.4 / uncapped) — I'm currently experiencing one of the best synergies I've heard in almost 10 years of hobby via the Schiit Jotunheim 2 & Multibit DAC 🥰

These Sennheiser HD660S2 are genuinely stunning – there's hardly anything missing.

They're an extremely well-rounded and mature pair of headphones I'd easily recommend to anyone.
The Elex is a great headphone and will be a nice partner for your Senn's. Two very different presentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back