Sennheiser hd-650 or Hifiman he-400
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 124
Quote:
HD650 are very picky with what you are pairing them with. At the recent NYC meet i tried them with 5 different setups and only Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 was the perfect match while with others including Burson 160D and huge 2pcs Woo Audio they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demands

Do you have several amps recommendation from entry level (standard sufficient result) to expensive one (the best result)?

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #32 of 124
Quote:
For me, when I listened to both the HE400 and HE500, I found the EF5 to be a wonderful match. I haven't tried the Asgard with them yet, but I did try the Lyr. Vote goes to Hifiman there!

Don't want to bother with tubes.  Maybe when I get bored of SS.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #33 of 124
Quote:

Do you have several amps recommendation from entry level (standard sufficient result) to expensive one (the best result)?

As I already said before HD650 amd TubeMagic D1 are made for each other while Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH), Objective 2 and Burson 160D are not good match for them while HE-400 will sound good with most amps

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #34 of 124
Hi everyone. Very interesting topic for me. I have He-400 and I looking for a new amp. Nowadays I use the Asus STX and Hifiman HM-602 (portable player), but I want to get the next step. I was thinking about Hifiman EF5 and ICON HDP, which one is better?

thanks !

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #40 of 124
Quote:
you returned it and brought back (again)? must be special impression there

No i didn't get them again but tried D5000 to see if they have same quality bass as HE-400 and plus comfort of and mids and highs of HD650 and they did match my requirements except that on songs with too high recording level highs were distorted and harsh so i decided to try D7000 and they are exactly what i was looking for but i had HE-400 long enough and compare them with HD650 so that i can be confident enough to recommrnd HE-400

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 124
Quote:
No i didn't get them again but tried D5000 to see if they have same quality bass as HE-400 and plus comfort of and mids and highs of HD650 and they did match my requirements except that on songs with too high recording level highs were distorted and harsh so i decided to try D7000 and they are exactly what i was looking for but i had HE-400 long enough and compare them with HD650 so that i can be confident enough to recommrnd HE-400

Hey olegausany, it turns out that the Hifiman velour pads actually bring out the treble (without any spikes, just a general increase in upper mids ~ lower treble, mid~upper treble is untouched), and tames the mids, the HE400s become extremely tonally balanced with them.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 124
Quote:

Hey olegausany, it turns out that the Hifiman velour pads actually bring out the treble (without any spikes, just a general increase in upper mids ~ lower treble, mid~upper treble is untouched), and tames the mids, the HE400s become extremely tonally balanced with them.

As I already said long time before in the main HE-400 thread I got and did try velour pads and while they gave me better comfort but bass while better than HD650 but not the same as with pleather pads but main reason of return was that on properly recorded tracks treble were not as good as as on HD650 FOR ME and Graphic Equalizer v 0.37 plug-in  for Foobar didn't help while it did excellent job with D7000 (sorry for mentioning them again) .
So my main goal here to let OP know that if can't borrow and try or buy, return and get his money back he should avoid HD650 while we all know that you can easily return HE-400 in case you don't like them. But HE-400 really a better value for your money

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #43 of 124
Quote:
As I already said long time before in the main HE-400 thread I got and did try velour pads and while they gave me better comfort but bass while better than HD650 but not the same as with pleather pads but main reason of return was that on properly recorded tracks treble were not as good as as on HD650 FOR ME and Graphic Equalizer v 0.37 plug-in  for Foobar didn't help while it did excellent job with D7000 (sorry for mentioning them again) .
So my main goal here to let OP know that if can't borrow and try or buy, return and get his money back he should avoid HD650 while we all know that you can easily return HE-400 in case you don't like them. But HE-400 really a better value for your money

Why haven't you just skipped your way to the HE-500?

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 124
Quote:
Why haven't you just skipped your way to the HE-500?

First of all they cost twice mpre than HE-400 but i did try to contact Head Direct in Chine and asked if I can get upgrade to HE-500, I actualy emailed directly to Fang but answer came in from customer service, for $150 as exception for long waiting unsatisfied customer but was told NO. I heard HE-500 at the recent NYC meet by the way and when driven by EF-6 they had overpowering bass FOR ME and when driven by O2 or CTH they didn't sound as goog as my D7000 FOR ME

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #45 of 124
Quote:
First of all they cost twice mpre than HE-400 but i did try to contact Head Direct in Chine and asked if I can get upgrade to HE-500, I actualy emailed directly to Fang but answer came in from customer service, for $150 as exception for long waiting unsatisfied customer but was told NO. I heard HE-500 at the recent NYC meet by the way and when driven by EF-6 they had overpowering bass FOR ME and when driven by O2 or CTH they didn't sound as goog as my D7000 FOR ME

Sorry,I don't usually factor cost into comments like that. It is a better headphone and does happen to be more $.
I was just curious anyhow. What about a modded T50RP? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back