Sennheiser hd-650 or Hifiman he-400
May 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 124
I think the HD-650 is extremly fun and engaging to lissen to. I am pretty much addicted to this can. I dont really know why people is saying that the HD 650 is boring, and makes me wonder if they really have lissened to the can. First of all it does a superior job with every genre, so its a all-rounder. And second its completley smooth and very not harsh sounding wich make it maraton lissening session phone to. 
And for the third, its make me get completley lost in the music. 

But well.. the bass doesnt go down to 20 hz. And the highs is not what people call crystal clear either. If thats what people thinks is fun then this can is boring. 

May 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 124
Quote:
I think the HD-650 is extremly fun and engaging to lissen to. I am pretty much addicted to this can. I dont really know why people is saying that the HD 650 is boring, and makes me wonder if they really have lissened to the can. First of all it does a superior job with every genre, so its a all-rounder. And second its completley smooth and very not harsh sounding wich make it maraton lissening session phone to. 
And for the third, its make me get completley lost in the music. 

But well.. the bass doesnt go down to 20 hz. And the highs is not what people call crystal clear either. If thats what people thinks is fun then this can is boring. 

It can be a little "too laid back" for some.   Also, it has more picky amping requirements than most.  With the wrong amp it picks up the infamous "sennheiser veil" which I presume to be mostly the result of either poor impedance matching or insufficient voltage.  Someone plugging into a sound card or a DAP with HD650 will walk away highly disappointed compared to a Denon or something like that.  That accounts for much of the dislike from some.

It was my go-to can for over 5 years before I started pushing it aside for some more "fun" headphones and relegated HD650 back to "relaxation duty."  However after acquiring the above mentioned silver cable last week, HD650 is once again my go-to can.  It added just a little forwardness to the upper mids without really dragging the treble out to sparkle that made it engaging again.  It is truly the most addictive of my headphones.  I absolutely agree (though Raven finds it fatiguing) that it's the best marathon listening and least fatiguing and makes it very easy to get lost in.

"Fun" headphone is generally a term referring to any headphone with a "u" or "v" shaped frequency curve, meaning recessed mids compared to the bass and treble.  HD650, HE-500, LCD-2, HD800, are not "fun" as they are either flat all the way down, or have elevated mids (an upside-down smile curve.)  Thus they are "flat", "balanced" or "warm."

Bass response can be important, and it can be considered a "weakness" for HD650 to not present all the bass information depending on the genre.  But the lack of that extension is what makes its addictive, warm, non-fatiguing sound as well.  In either case, it's part of the design. 

HE-400 has far more bass presence and extension.  It also has a very slight "fun" curve, making it very different.  Classical, especially sounds very different on the two since HE-400 is far more dynamic (loud to soft) in the same passage.  It's really hard to compare the two.  Especially after my recable, I like both equally each for different reasons.  that bass on the HE-400 and the huge dynamics gives a great concert hall, in the balcony sound for example for orchestral.  The double bass and tympani sound just right.  HD650 is a closer, more intimate, front-mid presentation. 

It's like choosing different seats.

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 124
Nice thread and make me have spirit to ask more.
Overall sonic characteristics which one better & more mature, wewcomer planar hifiman or old veteran HD650?
What area HE400/HD650 show weaknesses?
What about Sennheiser's famous technical achievements with micro details , do Hifiman better it, or still lagging behind?

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 124
Hd650 is boring by me.  I crave the LCD-2's again......grrrrr but I may have to settle for the he-400 for now until I can get another HP I want.....
deadhorse.gif

I can watch movies with it.  THats fine... but music... not all the songs I like with the HD650.... Thats why I'm selling it...

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 124
Quote:
Hd650 is boring by me.  I crave the LCD-2's again......grrrrr but I may have to settle for the he-400 for now until I can get another HP I want.....
deadhorse.gif

I can watch movies with it.  THats fine... but music... not all the songs I like with the HD650.... Thats why I'm selling it...

do you have great amp to drive it? people here still very much appraise HD650 above planars's expensive setup.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 124
Quote:
The 650 need a capable amp to sound their best.  When amping is up to the task, however, the 650 perform in a whole 'nother realm.  The best I heard them was with the Darkvoice THA-337.

Looks like HE400 great on flexibility, cheaper setup. But even HE500 doesnt like so choosy about amp, just need amp with good current.
Isn't $270 Crack amp give you nice sounding on HD650?

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 124
HD650 are very picky with what you are pairing them with. At the recent NYC meet i tried them with 5 different setups and only Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 was the perfect match while with others including Burson 160D and huge 2pcs Woo Audio they were lacking deep bass classical and jazz demands

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 124
Makes me wonder what my HD650s would sound like with something better than an E9.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #28 of 124
Quote:
Makes me wonder what my HD650s would sound like with something better than an E9.

E9 sounds pretty neutral in general so maybe try moving on to tubes? For a very affordable Tube amp, I suggest the Hifiman EF2A. It should be a nice match with the HD650s and if you can get your hands on a Darkvoice 337 like someone mentioned above, I don't think you can get a better match than that. I can only think of a few DIY and summit Fi amps that might be a better match

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #29 of 124
Quote:

E9 sounds pretty neutral in general so maybe try moving on to tubes? For a very affordable Tube amp, I suggest the Hifiman EF2A. It should be a nice match with the HD650s and if you can get your hands on a Darkvoice 337 like someone mentioned above, I don't think you can get a better match than that. I can only think of a few DIY and summit Fi amps that might be a better match

I'm actually thinking about HE500s and then a month or so later getting a Schiit Asgard.

Or maybe just trying the Mad Dogs modded Fostex since they're reputed to get pretty close to LCD-2s.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 124
For me, when I listened to both the HE400 and HE500, I found the EF5 to be a wonderful match. I haven't tried the Asgard with them yet, but I did try the Lyr. Vote goes to Hifiman there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back