Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #481 of 737
You should try it at some stage - especially if you like the HD600 or HD800

Agreed, I have the HD800S's and the HD630VB's are a great all arounder. I'm enjoying them more and more. The variable bass dial is growing on me. What I thought was a gimmick actually helps with tuning in certain types of music. I've been comparing them to the very portable Denon AH-MM400's and the HD630VB's have a little more sub-bass. The Denon's are louder at the same volume levels and have naturally good bass without any adjustments. But the HD630VB's are more musical and a couple of volume clicks can match the Denon's loudness. The HD630VB's are very well done despite the old school design choice.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #482 of 737
Sorry, but the variable bass slider on this headphone is beyond tacky.

Actually works really well imo... effect seems subtle except at the most extreme positions- I think it's a pretty nifty thing to integrate this type of passive analog tuning feature into the headphone itself (as opposed to seemingly increasingly popular integrated DSPs like Bose or the Audeze Cypher cable).
No longer really interested to get my own 630vb after hearing (pretty happy with On2 as portables) but I hope Sennheiser develop this idea further.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #483 of 737
Actually works really well imo... effect seems subtle except at the most extreme positions- I think it's a pretty nifty thing to integrate this type of passive analog tuning feature into the headphone itself (as opposed to seemingly increasingly popular integrated DSPs like Bose or the Audeze Cypher cable).
No longer really interested to get my own 630vb after hearing (pretty happy with On2 as portables) but I hope Sennheiser develop this idea further.

It is a DSP in 630VB 
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #484 of 737
It is a DSP in 630VB :xf_eek:

AFAIK this headphone does not posess a battery (nor any internal computation) so I think it is necessarily some kind of passive analog filter electronics which do not require power (except signal).

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #485 of 737
AFAIK this headphone does not posess a battery (nor any internal computation) so I think it is necessarily some kind of passive analog filter electronics which do not require power (except signal).

Well... 

That is correct. Calling it a DSP is wrong from me as it doesn't fall in this category since the processing is done outside of the digital (discrete) domain and the processing is rather analogue / analogue signal processing. 

The circuitry is quite simple actually 
biggrin.gif

And that is good. The simpler the circuit, the better for the sound / signal degradation. 

On the other hand, I still don't like the signature itself. I love HD600, HD800S, ie800 and other headphones from Sennheiser though.

Sennheiser's cheaper HD380 Pro actually works well for my ears and for anyone looking for a cheaper monitor, I do recommend it wholeheartedly 
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #486 of 737
How much time did you spend with it George? For someone who likes the HD600 and HD800S (and I have both) the 630VB definitely is part of a similar sounding family ....

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #487 of 737
How much time did you spend with it George? For someone who likes the HD600 and HD800S (and I have both) the 630VB definitely is part of a similar sounding family ....

Not enough and not in ideal conditions by any means 
redface.gif

I will take your word for and and make timme to test 630VB again soon! 

A quite curious about it! 

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #488 of 737
I'm really enjoying them out of the Oppo HA-2SE. It really opens them up. The Oppo added some upper end to mix.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #489 of 737
Just bought these brand new for 290$. I wanted a headphone that I can take on holiday with me as my holy grail of headphones, the $2200 Pioneer SE Master one stay safely at home.

Will provide a review when they arrive.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #490 of 737
  Just bought these brand new for 290$. I wanted a headphone that I can take on holiday with me as my holy grail of headphones, the $2200 Pioneer SE Master one stay safely at home.

Will provide a review when they arrive.

Super cool! 

I'm actually looking for more impressions! 

Maybe I missed a gem with those 
biggrin.gif

I don't know why I wasn't so impressed at my first try, maybe I forgot my EQ from another pair engaged on my source so this might had distorted my perception over the sound 
redface.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #491 of 737
I just listened to the HD630vb at my local BestBuy using my Macbook Air and some decent files... WHOA! They blow the HD598 and especially MOMENTUMs out of the water in every aspect. 

I am super impressed and loved that if the certain song I was listening to needed more oomph I could simply turn the dial instead of using an EQ or swapping headphones. My new favorite closed back headphones for sure! (I rarely enjoy closed back at all)

Everything about them was nearly perfect IMO. The sound signature was fantastic wherever the bass was set!  

The original price is a JOKE but if you can buy them used or on sale for around $350 or lower go for it! 

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #492 of 737
I've listened to these for about a week now. They are massively underrated.

The build quality is fantastic and come in a nice case, these would have been a 10/10 if they had a detachable cable.

Sound quality wise they took me by surprise. These headphones can compete with ones worth 3 times as much. I have the HD650 and HD800s. Certainly they are better across the board than the HD650 but don't have the detail and wide soundstage of the HD800s. Yes those two are open back but 630VB is impressive for a closed back cans.

Comparing to my old Victor JVC DX1000 which are closed back, the Bass, mids and highs are very similar. The DX1000 may just have a slight edge in the clarity of the mids.

Nothing yet compares to my Pioneer SE Master 1 (the holy grail in headphones) but then those are almost $2500 headphones and I bought the 630VB for only 290$ which I think is an absolute bargain.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #493 of 737
Yes, this does sound like an interesting headphone. Wish I needed another headphone so I would have an excuse to try it!

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #494 of 737
I've been listening to mine through my newly acquired Mojo. The Mojo is really an incredible Dac/Amp. It really opens up the HD 630VB's much better than Oppo HA-2SE to my ears. I'm hearing more details and musical separation. The bass is tighter and more dynamic even without using the bass dial. Then with a slight adjustment you can dial the bass in and add the perfect amount of bass to any genre of music. These headphones are great and sound really good with either amp, but with the Mojo you have a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back