Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #662 of 23,499
I need help deciding between two amps for the HD600.

The Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball (tubes), or the Dynalo (SS)?

I like a lively presentation, with neutral bass.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #663 of 23,499
I found that the Gilmore Lite (Dynalo-based) was a great pairing with the HD600's (old black silk version). Amazing really, and I would love to try that long-sold rig again. I found the Gilmore Lite w/DPS to actually be a better match than the Asgard, which is a very affordable, good option for these cans. The Dynalo brought a neutral clarity to the mix that was well-received by these ears.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #664 of 23,499

Quote:
I found that the Gilmore Lite (Dynalo-based) was a great pairing with the HD600's (old black silk version). Amazing really, and I would love to try that long-sold rig again. I found the Gilmore Lite w/DPS to actually be a better match than the Asgard, which is a very affordable, good option for these cans. The Dynalo brought a neutral clarity to the mix that was well-received by these ears.

Agree. The GS-1 complements the HD600s dark and laid back signature by adding speed, transparency, and ease to the equation.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #665 of 23,499
Quick question (also an HD600 owner - older version).  Why do you describe it is dark and laid back?  I can understand the laid back - but I'd describe my 600 more as warm and sweet - rather than dark.  It's not overly bassy and the highs to me are perfect - sparkly when they need to be and very enjoyable.  I can understand the old HD650 being described as dark (smooth, lush, bassy, highs are less present) - but surprised you'd describe the HD600 as dark.

BTW - not being critical at all - just wanting to learn.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #667 of 23,499

Quote:
Quick question (also an HD600 owner - older version).  Why do you describe it is dark and laid back?  I can understand the laid back - but I'd describe my 600 more as warm and sweet - rather than dark. 

Darkish might be a more accurate description, but it works out the same when trying to build synergy in assembling the component chain. By the same scale and with its mid-bass hump trickling over to the lower midrange, and its polite top end, the HD600 is also neutralish rather than neutral.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #668 of 23,499
Just ordered the HD600's today.  Amazon dropped the price to $315 w/free shipping.  I'm sure I could have waited and got them a little cheaper but this is a lot better than $399. (Which they have been for the last few days)  Can't wait to hear them!

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #670 of 23,499
You can get it new from an authorized dealer for <300 at ebay. Search for razordogdeals' listing, and make a reasonable offer. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #671 of 23,499

Quote:

Darkish might be a more accurate description, but it works out the same when trying to build synergy in assembling the component chain. By the same scale and with its mid-bass hump trickling over to the lower midrange, and its polite top end, the HD600 is also neutralish rather than neutral.

Is there a headphone under $400 that is completely neutral?

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #672 of 23,499

Quote:
Quick question (also an HD600 owner - older version).  Why do you describe it is dark and laid back?  I can understand the laid back - but I'd describe my 600 more as warm and sweet - rather than dark.  It's not overly bassy and the highs to me are perfect - sparkly when they need to be and very enjoyable.  I can understand the old HD650 being described as dark (smooth, lush, bassy, highs are less present) - but surprised you'd describe the HD600 as dark.

BTW - not being critical at all - just wanting to learn.

Do you know if the new version is much different? I would be buying from Amazon, I don't know if they would have the new version or the old version.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #673 of 23,499

Quote:

Do you know if the new version is much different? I would be buying from Amazon, I don't know if they would have the new version or the old version.

Chances are they'll have the newer version - I have no idea if there is a difference between the newer and older HD600.  Evidently there is a change between the new/old HD650 - but I haven't seen anyone comment re a major difference between new and old HD600's yet.

I've been following your posts.  Easiest question to ask yourself .....
Is most of your music faster paced?  Then go with the DT880.  If a lot of your music is more relaxed (including slower classic rock) - go with the HD600.

Both are really good cans.

If you want a good combo for all-rounder + something for faster rock/blues, look at the HD600 + MS1i.  Covers all the bases IMO.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #674 of 23,499

Quote:
Chances are they'll have the newer version - I have no idea if there is a difference between the newer and older HD600.  Evidently there is a change between the new/old HD650 - but I haven't seen anyone comment re a major difference between new and old HD600's yet.

I've been following your posts.  Easiest question to ask yourself .....
Is most of your music faster paced?  Then go with the DT880.  If a lot of your music is more relaxed (including slower classic rock) - go with the HD600.

Both are really good cans.

If you want a good combo for all-rounder + something for faster rock/blues, look at the HD600 + MS1i.  Covers all the bases IMO.

I can't decide between the two because I listen to such a broad range of music. I honestly need them both, but I don't have enough money right now.

I wish that I could get by with just one. I need to spend the rest of my money on a speaker system.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #675 of 23,499
Sennheisers are really versatile enough for a variety of music - and the HD 600's are NEUTRAL. 
rolleyes.gif

HD 485 -> HD 600 would be a great upgrade. The HD 600's are more analytical and they have a much more sane quantity of bass. Both the HD 485's and 600's are more fun than the HD 650's I think - not that the HD 650's are boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back