Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #691 of 23,482
I've had both of them and of the two the HD600 remained in my stable. "Why?" you may ask an the answer is quite simple. The HD600 were/had: neutral, transparent, detailed, more treble, less mirdrange coloration, much tighter bass, and wider soundstage. They were just perfect for Jazz and older rock. Heck even modern music sounds really good on them. They have just enough treble/bass to not sound tilted and the midrange was not as colored and thus became more revealing.

The HD650 to me sounded too mushy or fluid. They also had a distinct lack of treble and definition of the sound to my ears. They could sound really good on overly bright (aka Hot) mastered recordings but on older stuff that is already smooth they just tended to sound like poo. Also the added bass tended to drown out micro details and also bled into the midrange. The soundstage also sounded quite smaller from the added bass. Any easy way to describe the HD650 sound would be like plugging a 32Ohm headphone into a OTL tube amp with 60Ohms of output impedance. The sounded is full bodied but the bass can become too powerful and muddy , the highs roll off, the mids fill in a bit too much. so to me the HD650 sound represents "tube bloat" that you hear when plugging a lower impedance headphone into a OTL tube amp.

HD600 Sound: Far more neutral, more detailed, more transparent, bigger soundstage.

HD650 Sound: Warmer tube like sound, full bodied bass, rolled highs, compressed soundstage.

Quote:
As an owner of the HD650's, and having noticed a few posts where users indicate preference for the HD600's, I was wondering if former or current owners of both could say what they preferred about the HD600??

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #692 of 23,482

Quote:
I've had both of them and of the two the HD600 remained in my stable. "Why?" you may ask an the answer is quite simple. The HD600 were/had: neutral, transparent, detailed, more treble, less mirdrange coloration, much tighter bass, and wider soundstage. They were just perfect for Jazz and older rock. Heck even modern music sounds really good on them. They have just enough treble/bass to not sound tilted and the midrange was not as colored and thus became more revealing.

The HD650 to me sounded too mushy or fluid. They also had a distinct lack of treble and definition of the sound to my ears. They could sound really good on overly bright (aka Hot) mastered recordings but on older stuff that is already smooth they just tended to sound like poo. Also the added bass tended to drown out micro details and also bled into the midrange. The soundstage also sounded quite smaller from the added bass. Any easy way to describe the HD650 sound would be like plugging a 32Ohm headphone into a OTL tube amp with 60Ohms of output impedance. The sounded is full bodied but the bass can become too powerful and muddy , the highs roll off, the mids fill in a bit too much. so to me the HD650 sound represents "tube bloat" that you hear when plugging a lower impedance headphone into a OTL tube amp.

HD600 Sound: Far more neutral, more detailed, more transparent, bigger soundstage.

HD650 Sound: Warmer tube like sound, full bodied bass, rolled highs, compressed soundstage. 

Does the HD600 sound much like the DT880/600?  Looking for a complement to the DT880/600's - something not too similar.  Heard good things about the HD600, but would like something sufficiently different.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #693 of 23,482
The hd600s mids are fuller than the Beyers and the bass slightly less tight. I know you want a complement and not a replacement but I would just like to say that I like the hd600s much more than the beyers. I just find them to be more musical. I say buy an hd600! :)

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #694 of 23,482
No it really doesn't sound anything alike. I would say it's a lot more forgiving than the DT880 is and also a bit more relaxed sounding and perhaps not as detailed or critical. It's worth a shot so give one a try.

Quote:
Does the HD600 sound much like the DT880/600?  Looking for a complement to the DT880/600's - something not too similar.  Heard good things about the HD600, but would like something sufficiently different.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #695 of 23,482

Quote:
So... is anyone using their HD600s for gaming and movies?

I tried using them for such but I found my other headphones better suited for those (Denon AH-D7000).  Can't top the bass on those cans for movies with considerable LFE.   :)

Either way, the HD600 shouldn't disappointed it's a versatile headphone.

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #696 of 23,482

Quote:
No it really doesn't sound anything alike. I would say it's a lot more forgiving than the DT880 is and also a bit more relaxed sounding and perhaps not as detailed or critical. It's worth a shot so give one a try. 

I agree they sound nothing alike but I would say that although the hd600s are more relaxed attack and treblewise, they are more forward and engaging in the mids over the dt880s.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #697 of 23,482
So the consensus is HD600's offer a flatter frequency response for those who prefer that?

Is resolution the same? I owned the HD600's about 6 years ago and by memory only it seems that the 650's are better resolving at the high and low end.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #698 of 23,482
Yes, quite true. The DT880 is very polite sounding and it's mids are a tad reserved.

Quote:
I agree they sound nothing alike but I would say that although the hd600s are more relaxed attack and treblewise, they are more forward and engaging in the mids over the dt880s.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #699 of 23,482

Quote:
So the consensus is HD600's offer a flatter frequency response for those who prefer that?

Is resolution the same? I owned the HD600's about 6 years ago and by memory only it seems that the 650's are better resolving at the high and low end.

The resolution seemed the same to me when I compared them side by side (silver driver material versions of both cans). I feel it is only the frequency response that is slightly different on both these cans making one seem better than the other depending on what songs one is playing. With some audiophile recordings ala Patricia Barber, the hd600 slaughters the hd650 IMO while music like older Lenny Kravitz for example may be more enjoyable on the 650s when one craves more bass.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #700 of 23,482
So I left my Shure's at home (940) and brought my HD600s to work....
so smooth sounding, so intimate (listening to The Promise Ring - Stop Playing Guitar), definitely
different than the 940s. I think I'll probably bring them more to work... at least a couple of times
a week.

Archos 7 --> JDSLabs Cmoy --> HD600s

(and yes, the little Altoids can can handle these with ease)!

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #701 of 23,482
My M3 just arrived, plugged HD600s into it. OMG!! HD600s became a beast, wide soundstage, very nice instrument separation, bass became so deep and tight. Now I believe that these seriously need a good amp to sing.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #702 of 23,482

Quote:

The HD600 has a midrange that can best be described as rich, and depending on the amplification, can reach well into the "fun" zone. At the same time the mids do not exactly barge through the overall sound signature, as it maintains a pretty nice balance, although that is what I consider the dark aspect of the 600s.. I think that is one of the most engaging aspects of its sound.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #703 of 23,482

Quote:

What amp was used for your HD 600 impressions?

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #704 of 23,482
Was refurbishing the HD580 I own.

HD650 Cable (My cable is pretty ripped, 14yrs old lol) - Ebay - Check

Ear Pads - hand-washed - semiCheck

Top Pad (came deflated) - grado s-cush folded - semidemiCheck

foam (closer to the ears, kind of broken) - defoamed - semiCheck

Main point is, HD600 grills, from Senn AU:

[size=10pt]Thank you for your enquiry regarding accessories/spare parts for the Sennheiser HD600 ,[/size]

[size=10pt]Parts available, please find pricing and information below.[/size]

[size=10pt]Part No.                                  091570[/size]
[size=10pt]Description                           Replacement Capsule[/size]
[size=10pt]Purchase Price                    [/size][size=10pt] $118.00 (inc GST) each[/size]

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #705 of 23,482

Quote:

Main point is, HD600 grills, from Senn AU:

[size=10pt]Thank you for your enquiry regarding accessories/spare parts for the Sennheiser HD600 ,[/size]

[size=10pt]Parts available, please find pricing and information below.[/size]

[size=10pt]Part No.                                  091570[/size]
[size=10pt]Description                           Replacement Capsule[/size]
[size=10pt]Purchase Price                    [/size][size=10pt] $118.00 (inc GST) each[/size]

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I think you'll probably find that the capsule is piece that holds the drivers & includes the drivers themselves.  The grills are much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back