Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #22,921 of 23,482
Hello, I discovered a small problem with the right headphone jack on my HD600. I bought the headphones on 11/11/2020 and they always played great without errors. I bought an HD650 last year and an HD660S2 more recently, so the HD600s fell out of my current interest for a while, but yesterday I was doing some comparative listening and after some time connected a cable to the HD600. A slight rattling sound can be heard in the right earpiece when touched and gently moved with the plug connector attached. As an electrician, I see it as a transition resistance and a bad contact. I tried four other cables. which I have plugged and unplugged several times and it is clear that the problem is inside the connector. There is a video on YT where you can see a detailed disassembly of the handset, including the driver, and you can also see a detail of the contact spring, and it is precisely at the end pin of the coil connected to the spring that I suspect the problem. Otherwise, without touching the connector, the headphones play fine. Has anyone encountered such a problem?
Sorry to hear this. I have not encountered this, and practically ever intermittent connection I've seen has been due to a decades old cable that needed replacing. I would suggest sending it in so we can fix it for you.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 13, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #22,923 of 23,482
Anyone here tried rotating the ear pads, both through 180° & between ears to even out wear & compression?

I'm trying in order to get more life out of the pads. Seems like an idea...

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #22,924 of 23,482
Anyone here tried rotating the ear pads, both through 180° & between ears to even out wear & compression?

I'm trying in order to get more life out of the pads. Seems like an idea...

that's a great idea

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #22,925 of 23,482
yesterday I painted my CC weights black and cut the foam that's on the outside of driver and fit it in that little circular indentation on the inside of the CC weight. with that foam timber is essentially the same, w the expected changes to the bass, and now the look is pretty much the same as well w the black weights.

i think the CC weights should come in black to match the housing, stock

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #22,926 of 23,482
Sorry to hear this. I have not encountered this, and practically ever intermittent connection I've seen has been due to a decades old cable that needed replacing. I would suggest sending it in so we can fix it for you.
The headphones are currently in a CZ authorized service center, and upon agreement the contact springs will be replaced, all four as a precaution. The service confirmed that this problem occurs occasionally.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #22,927 of 23,482
Update. The rear screens are part of the tuning, so back on, but the dynamat stays. Playing with some finely woven paper and cloth to replicate the foam removed for the CC mod, w/ some favorable results.

Also looking to ID the woven material on the LFF "Code Sex" mods of the HE-6 for possible use on the 600, and also the 500 and SE. It might be that its just to hide the mods, or maybe its part of the mod....
More: Getting weak->strong magnetic stuff (magnetized putty to very strong magnets in flat flexible form) to try and see what that does to my collection. Also going to play with paper and foam backing/fronting. I have lots of time after labor day to try more after market /mods/engineering.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #22,928 of 23,482
I highly recommend the Wiim pro plus/Bryston bha-1/hd600 combo. Most people aren't going to spend so much on a source and amp for HD600's, but it's awesome. I prefer it to the RME adi-2 dac fs/LCD-3F combo I had previously.
I was using the hd600's first with a Fiio BTR7, using Tidal hifi with LDAC 990 and EQ.
I'm still using EQ from the Wiim now. Compared to the Fiio BTR7, the Wiim and bha-1 are slightly more clear and detailed, and more importantly are also smoother and more enjoyable to listen to. The BTR7 sounds etched by comparison. I'm assuming this is partly because of going from an ESS dac to an AKM? I was skeptical about the old saying that HD600's scale really well, but I guess they do. Not massively, but very noticeable.
I wouldn't have spent as much on a headphone amp either, but I wanted an amp that will last, and also going to use the Wiim/bha-1 as dac/pre into some genelecs or other powered monitors soon.
Also didn't want a battery powered set up for longer listening sessions or movies.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #22,929 of 23,482
The HD600s are back from repair and playing great again with no rattles. Changing the springs helped...! :wink:

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #22,930 of 23,482
I highly recommend the Wiim pro plus/Bryston bha-1/hd600 combo. Most people aren't going to spend so much on a source and amp for HD600's, but it's awesome. I prefer it to the RME adi-2 dac fs/LCD-3F combo I had previously.
I was using the hd600's first with a Fiio BTR7, using Tidal hifi with LDAC 990 and EQ.
I'm still using EQ from the Wiim now. Compared to the Fiio BTR7, the Wiim and bha-1 are slightly more clear and detailed, and more importantly are also smoother and more enjoyable to listen to. The BTR7 sounds etched by comparison. I'm assuming this is partly because of going from an ESS dac to an AKM? I was skeptical about the old saying that HD600's scale really well, but I guess they do.
I wouldn't have spent as much on a headphone amp either, but I wanted an amp that will last, and also going to use the Wiim/bha-1 as dac/pre into some genelecs or other powered monitors soon.
Also didn't want a battery powered set up for longer listening sessions or movies.
I've now also added a balanced cable. Detail may have improved very slightly, and instrument separation did improve some. Very happy with this system.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #22,931 of 23,482
Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers … Richard Thompson / Sandy Denny … Humphrey Bogart / Lauren Bacall … Patrick McNee / Diana Rigg …
CC5FC2D4-327A-48F4-A584-C85800284CA3.jpeg

Sennheiser HD-600 (modified) / Woo WA3 (OTL) …

Sep 5, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #22,932 of 23,482
Update on mods:

Magnets - no; the center magnet has a weak charge, no way to access S pole so magnetizing just one pole would have unpredictable results

To me the tuning of the 600 is denigrated by the CC mod and all foams and no foam. I can’t get the stock foam back in and it was lightly glued so trying out foam and filter paper over that center bump to get it back towards stock tuning.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #22,933 of 23,482
Update on mods:

Magnets - no; the center magnet has a weak charge, no way to access S pole so magnetizing just one pole would have unpredictable results

To me the tuning of the 600 is denigrated by the CC mod and all foams and no foam. I can’t get the stock foam back in and it was lightly glued so trying out foam and filter paper over that center bump to get it back towards stock tuning.

Try using the CC weight, but cutting the stock outer foam to fit the shape on the inside of the CC weight. I don't stick those CC foams in the driver hole. Laying a small disc of the stock outer foam inside the CC weight has yielded excellent results for me in terms of preserving the original tuning/timbre, whilst gaining the benefits of said CC weights.

I have two 600s. I had one w out the CC mod to compare and I did for some time. To my surprise the 600 in the above config won out. Cutting the stock outer foam to fit the inside of the CC weight is the key though. I didn't like the CC mod before trying that. Through trial and error I have learned that having that stock outer foam in place on the outside of the driver is super important to preserving the tuning magic the 600 has going. Removing it is a problem to my ears. It had to be incorporated into the mod.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #22,934 of 23,482
Try using the CC weight, but cutting the stock outer foam to fit the shape on the inside of the CC weight. I don't stick those CC foams in the driver hole. Laying a small disc of the stock outer foam inside the CC weight has yielded excellent results for me in terms of preserving the original tuning/timbre, whilst gaining the benefits of said CC weights.
Haven’t tried that yet. Has it shifted in or out since you put it in?
I have two 600s. I had one w out the CC mod to compare and I did for some time. To my surprise the 600 in the above config won out. Cutting the stock outer foam to fit the inside of the CC weight is the key though. I didn't like the CC mod before trying that.
Yeah the two semi open ones too much bass, the thick ones - what bass?
Through trial and error I have learned that having that stock outer foam in place on the outside of the driver is super important to preserving the tuning magic the 600 has going. Removing it is a problem to my ears. It had to be incorporated into the mod.
I have time. I’ll try that and maybe other mods until I’m satisfied

Thanks

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #22,935 of 23,482
Haven’t tried that yet. Has it shifted in or out since you put it in?

Yeah the two semi open ones too much bass, the thick ones - what bass?

I have time. I’ll try that and maybe other mods until I’m satisfied

Thanks

It doesn't shift once you put the disc in because you want to cut the foam as best you can to fit the shape of the circular indent on the underside of the CC weight. It'll fit right in and stay in place fine.

By using this method you're basically mimicking what you had stock and this preserves the tuning in the midrange/treble, but you get the added improvements in the mid and lower bass from the CC weights, so you get the best of both worlds. The biggest difference for me was the improvements to kick drums versus stock. There's just more presence. They're more alive than stock. I'm never going back! 😆

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back