Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #19,231 of 23,482
I would love to try the schiit loki analoq EQ though but that would require me to upgrade my whole system.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #19,232 of 23,482
Iw tried to boost HD600s bass so many times with APO software, never had good outcomes with that.
I'm just saying.....I use the Loki and I'm very satisfied with both HD600 and HD800 bass.

Unfortunately my only source is iPhone/mojo running Tidal. Plus my EQ skills are poor. :frowning2:
I'm just talking about the bass. You only need to dial up the knob. Trust me...you can do it :)

I would love to try the schiit loki analoq EQ though but that would require me to upgrade my whole system.
Sorry about that. That's why I always separate my dac and amp. Try digital EQ instead?

Iw tried to boost HD600s bass so many times with APO software, never had good outcomes with that.
I tried the APO, but prefer analog EQ. Main advantage of digital EQ is tuning flexibility. Disadvantage is that digital EQ causes me to turn up the volume from my amp.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #19,234 of 23,482
Did you guys ever try EQ?

I have tried parametric EQ and, with the help of published frequency plots, constructed a compensation curve that continues the gentle rise in the mid bass through to the sub bass. It sounds excellent, but it limits my choice in sources. Since I use my HD 600 anywhere I can, I would often find myself without the compensation curve, anyway. And since my main sources are my MBP and my phone (the former sometimes and the latter always paired with my FiiO Q1 amp), neither of which afford the precision I'd need to recreate my curve, I would have to change from this (e.g. run Foobar again via Wine instead of iTunes; resurrect my Rockboxed audio players instead of using my phone) in order to consistently benefit from the EQ.

Since I'm not terribly bothered by the issue, I'd rather stick with the hardware and software flow that I like than rearrange these around consistently being able to EQ. I'm one of the seemingly three people in the world who likes iTunes (judging by the hate it consistently gets online, at least), and if I really need some extra bass, my Q1 has a hardware bass boost function that works well enough—it starts a little high and thus skews more toward the mid bass than sub bass, but it's fine in a pinch.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #19,235 of 23,482
I have tried parametric EQ and, with the help of published frequency plots, constructed a compensation curve that continues the gentle rise in the mid bass through to the sub bass. It sounds excellent, but it limits my choice in sources. Since I use my HD 600 anywhere I can, I would often find myself without the compensation curve, anyway. And since my main sources are my MBP and my phone (the former sometimes and the latter always paired with my FiiO Q1 amp), neither of which afford the precision I'd need to recreate my curve, I would have to change from this (e.g. run Foobar again via Wine instead of iTunes; resurrect my Rockboxed audio players instead of using my phone) in order to consistently benefit from the EQ.

Since I'm not terribly bothered by the issue, I'd rather stick with the hardware and software flow that I like than rearrange these around consistently being able to EQ. I'm one of the seemingly three people in the world who likes iTunes (judging by the hate it consistently gets online, at least), and if I really need some extra bass, my Q1 has a hardware bass boost function that works well enough—it starts a little high and thus skews more toward the mid bass than sub bass, but it's fine in a pinch.
That's pretty much also me haha. If I plug in my headphones to my source and don't end up liking it, it's not the headphone, it's me. I'll return or sell off the headphone and move on to trying something else. Upside to that is that means you can try more stuff. Downside here is that I have an HD600 and I like it a lot so I haven't listened to a whole lot of other headphones :D

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #19,237 of 23,482
Hi Guys.. I need some help.. but holly cow 0_o .. 1283 pages with info..Probably someone already asked these questions but I absolutely don't have time to read all these pages. I own few headphones..shure1540 .. HD25 and IE8 .. but now I want a proper open back headphone and HD600 is a good choice. I work on quiet place but have to move a lot.. have to move from room to room..and I cant use a stationary amp which most of the people use. I need a portable amp.. so could someone recommend me something that could works well with HD600. Yea forgot to mention I use cowon plenue D .. from what I read it could drive phones up to 300Ohm.. but Im not sure if its enough to drive it.. The other thing is the cable.. from what I heard you have a 10 steps long cable.. which will be a problem.. do you have an idea from where I can buy a short cable for HD600.. which will be more comfortable to move with.
Basically 3 questions.
01- Do I really need a portable amp if I use Cowon plenue D.
02- If I need an amp.. what could work well for me. (the price range is max 400$ .. can't afford something more expensive than that).
03- Any suggestions from where I could buy a shorter cable for it ?

I will really appreciate if someone helps me with that :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #19,238 of 23,482
For the amp I recommend the Graham Slee Voyager if you can find it.

Not pretty but works superbly with higher impedence headphones like the HD600, DT150 and also HD25 in my experience.

Robust and a 9v battery lasts for months not hours.

(PS Engage the 'contour' switch on a GSV if you think the HD600 is incapable of an inpactful bass. That is something I have been ridiculed about in the past on these forums but with this amp and others the 600 is very nearly a match for the HD25 and the Beyer tank)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #19,239 of 23,482
Hi Guys.. I need some help.. but holly cow 0_o .. 1283 pages with info..Probably someone already asked these questions but I absolutely don't have time to read all these pages. I own few headphones..shure1540 .. HD25 and IE8 .. but now I want a proper open back headphone and HD600 is a good choice. I work on quiet place but have to move a lot.. have to move from room to room..and I cant use a stationary amp which most of the people use. I need a portable amp.. so could someone recommend me something that could works well with HD600. Yea forgot to mention I use cowon plenue D .. from what I read it could drive phones up to 300Ohm.. but Im not sure if its enough to drive it.. The other thing is the cable.. from what I heard you have a 10 steps long cable.. which will be a problem.. do you have an idea from where I can buy a short cable for HD600.. which will be more comfortable to move with.
Basically 3 questions.
02- If I need an amp.. what could work well for me. (the price range is max 400$ .. can't afford something more expensive than that).

I'd consider the HD58X since it sounds quite good out of a phone or DAP, price is $150 but if you are outside of the US then that might be a problem
Short cables are easy to find since many make cables for the HD6 hundred line, something like this is decent and doesn't break the bank:
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...54744&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hd600+cable&psc=1
I haven't bought this but my old GF did get one for her HD700 which was much better than I expected for the price.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #19,244 of 23,482
open back full size cans are for stationary use. if i need to move to any position except my desk chair, i use KSE1500.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #19,245 of 23,482
Basically 3 questions.

I recommend the Quickstep from Meier Audio, I have the Stepdance (first iteration of the Quickstep) and it powers the HD600 well. SQ is fantastic as well, with literally no hissing at all, if you decide to use your sensitive iems also.
1 disadvantage is that it eats though your 9v battery pretty fast, a 500mah 9v last me around 9-10hrs on low gain. However, you can power it using wall adapter as well, it takes in 6v-16v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back