Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #13,846 of 23,439
You're making a practically sound point, Bob. I just feel it's redundant having an amp collection, for me. Especially knowing about the experiment you shared (and many others I happened to stumble on). Having a good flat sounding amp (again, o2 comes to mind) is all I need. And I'd like to get the various colors I care for through various headphones, not amps.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #13,847 of 23,439
Sold my HD600's today and probably won't be dropping by here to often so goodbye gents it's been a pleasure.  

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #13,848 of 23,439
And they're mine again!  Been listening to them for about an hour... it took a little while to get used to how much more laid back they are than the DT880s.  But the sound is glorious... so much more enjoyable than the Beyers.  Ahhhh.

Now time to think about a different amp.  I think my Denon receiver worked better with the Beyers.  I have a friend who might sell me his Schiit Asgard... any opinions on the HD600/Asgard combo?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #13,849 of 23,439
  And they're mine again!  Been listening to them for about an hour... it took a little while to get used to how much more laid back they are than the DT880s.  But the sound is glorious... so much more enjoyable than the Beyers.  Ahhhh.

Now time to think about a different amp.  I think my Denon receiver worked better with the Beyers.  I have a friend who might sell me his Schiit Asgard... any opinions on the HD600/Asgard combo?

I might sell my bottlehead crack with speedball next week and extra tubes. As other's have said the crack is a great amplifier for the HD600. I have a new amplifier coming in going to do a quick comparison before letting the crack go.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #13,850 of 23,439

I might sell my bottlehead crack with speedball next week and extra tubes. As other's have said the crack is a great amplifier for the HD600. I have a new amplifier coming in going to do a quick comparison before letting the crack go.

The only tube amp I ever used was the Schiit Vali and I wasn't a super fan of those, they sounded kind of "syrupy"... it could've just been the pairing of the DT880 though.  So that's my only experience with tubes, so I guess I am not a fan of tubes... ?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #13,851 of 23,439

The only tube amp I ever used was the Schiit Vali and I wasn't a super fan of those, they sounded kind of "syrupy"... it could've just been the pairing of the DT880 though.  So that's my only experience with tubes, so I guess I am not a fan of tubes... ?

If you don't like tubes, Asgard 2 is a good way to go.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #13,852 of 23,439
  You're making a practically sound point, Bob. I just feel it's redundant having an amp collection, for me. Especially knowing about the experiment you shared (and many others I happened to stumble on). Having a good flat sounding amp (again, o2 comes to mind) is all I need. And I'd like to get the various colors I care for through various headphones, not amps.

Having different amps of different topologies helps with synergy between headphone and amps.  One of the more common pairings is the HD-600/650 with a BH Crack, it a pairing that is much better than the sum of the parts and one of the most enjoyable combinations that I have heard for under $2000.

I'm not a fan of the O2/ODAC after my experiences with it.  It was not very dynamic and thin sounding with the HD-650, HE-400i and even worse with the HD-700/800, DT-990 and RS2e making all of then really harsh in the mids and highs.

As I've noted before I don't use EQ due to logistical reasons and also because I feel it does more harm than good to the signal, but this is just my opinion (my GF also doesn't like the use of EQ), if it works for others, great.

I like and have various headphones for their own sound signature but to get that sound that they are known for sometimes takes a amp that matches/pairs with them, therefore having different amps is a benefit and its interesting to see how the sound changes on the various headphones just by changing to a different amp.  I guess this is my form of EQ
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #13,853 of 23,439
  Having different amps of different topologies helps with synergy between headphone and amps.  One of the more common pairings is the HD-600/650 with a BH Crack, it a pairing that is much better than the sum of the parts and one of the most enjoyable combinations that I have heard for under $2000.

I'm not a fan of the O2/ODAC after my experiences with it.  It was not very dynamic and thin sounding with the HD-650, HE-400i and even worse with the HD-700/800, DT-990 and RS2e making all of then really harsh in the mids and highs.

As I've noted before I don't use EQ due to logistical reasons and also because I feel it does more harm than good to the signal, but this is just my opinion (my GF also doesn't like the use of EQ), if it works for others, great.

I like and have various headphones for their own sound signature but to get that sound that they are known for sometimes takes a amp that matches/pairs with them, therefore having different amps is a benefit and its interesting to see how the sound changes on the various headphones just by changing to a different amp.  I guess this is my form of EQ
biggrin.gif

I am also against EQ only if it degrades fidelity. The EQ in foobar2k isn't well done nor the parametric eq plugin. But with Jriver I felt its parametric EQ was done really well I don't notice a loss of fidelity. I also like the surround field effects in Jriver I don't notice a degrade in quality in using that either. I didn't like crossfeed, I tried the meir crossfeed plugin and a few others didn't like any of them, nor the crossfeed options in Jriver.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #13,854 of 23,439

What amp are you getting?  If I had the funds then I would be looking at a EC Balancing act, Red Wine Isabellina or Liquid Glass, heard these three and they impressed the most so far.  I know they are way out of the price range of mortals but . . . one can dream.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #13,856 of 23,439
  Here's the one I use, it's about the half the price of the Lunashops silver cable you listed. Definitely will be thicker than that Lunashops silver cable since I have one like that for my HE560 and it's thinner than I thought it would be. But this one doesn't make much difference in sound (to me at least, I wouldn't say I have very sensitive ears though, YMMV), has a sturdy well-relieved plug, and is mesh-sleeved below the y-split. I use this maker's cables for 3 of my headphones, HD558, HD600, Fidelio X1:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022?var=&hash=item41935b0cb6:m:mtZMuMijDUrlNJ_hKZKwgyg

Ah, I didn't hear much of a difference, but then again, my ears are quite so sensitive and I didn't swap them out for very long anyway so not much critical listening. It just struck me as pretty much the same overall. But it's better built for sure. I ended up with an different cable altogether, the one I linked above, because I didn't want such a long cable.

Just a PSA I just received the 5 Ft. cable from this provider.

I am a huge fan. The original cable really feels kind of like my old Playstation 1 AV cable and just isn't quite what I'm looking for in something to connect my WA6 to my HD600s. 

This new cable feels quite nice and is a very good length that doesn't hang all over the place. 

I am not a cable guy really but in case anyone is wondering, it sounds exactly the same as the stock cable. So, if you are on the fence I certainly wouldn't worry about it being of lower quality. Of course, YMMV, and as I mentioned I never have heard a difference between cables. 

Basically I give this minor upgrade an objective 4/5 (would prefer real 1/4" termination) but a 5/5 in terms of value. It was easily worth the $16 or so, especially compared with some of the $200 offerings on eBay. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #13,857 of 23,439
Those are NewFantasia cables.  I agree that they represent great bang for the buck.  My HD600's sport the 6' version.  That length works much better for me than the 10' HD650 cable I previously used.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #13,858 of 23,439
  _gl,

There may indeed be wide variances although folks who have the newest models with their firmer earpads, etc. seem to believe that the drivers are closer matched and more consistent than in years past.

Regardless I am thoroughly enjoying your GlissEQ curve #4 in the Convolver Plugin in my foobar2000 / Schiit stack setup for which I thank you for sharing 
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
beerchug.gif

Interesting, and thanks : ).

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #13,859 of 23,439
Listening to the remastered score to The Abyss by Alan Silvestri and many times I almost gasp at how amazing it sounds with my old friend Mr. HD600. My Denon receiver is absolutely formidable (tons of power, extremely dynamic, natural and balanced highs/mids/bass, big soundstage very transparent... noticeably better than my old Schiit Magni 2) and I now chalk up my original hesitation to just needing to get used to the HD600 sound again. The only thing I forsee upgrading is my Schiit Modi 2 DAC and probably going for a Bifrost Multibit. And then maybe $1K+ amp when my funds increase. I suspect that since Denon also makes audiophile cans and dedicated headphone amps, they put more attention into their reciever headphone outputs than other receiver manufacturers but this is pure speculation on my part. Or I just got lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back