Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #9,241 of 23,456

HiFi

And that's from someone who also owns a T1, has owned a lot of other headphones including an RS1, HD700, SRH1840 etc, and has extensively demoed an HD800.

In this case, the price doesn't relate to the performance.  The HD600 are a true hidden diamond.

I have to disagree. The HD600 doesn't sound Hi-Fi to me. It sounds very slow, lacks clarity and it's not exactly detailed either. I was also amazed that the HD600 has no soundstage for an open headphone which is strange.

But for $300 it's a very good headphone.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #9,242 of 23,456

The HD600 doesn't sound Hi-Fi to me. It sounds very slow, lacks clarity and it's not exactly detailed either.

The only times I've found the HD600 "slow" were when

1. I used a CMOY on it
2. I was using really old earpads

Did you own the HD600? I've noticed how most commonly known things about the HD600's sound seem to come not from those who have been perpetually using them with new earpads - on meets for example you get a lot of people using them ahead of you, the owner isn't likely to whip out a new earpads to get others' skin cells and sweat on them, and then there's confirmation bias on top of that.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #9,243 of 23,456
  ^ Not to me, I prefer the 650 cable with my 600s 
smile.gif

Grokit,,&all,
Have any of you guys had any experience with a Cardas cable called Cardas Audio Cross

Thanks,
Mike

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #9,244 of 23,456

I have to disagree. The HD600 doesn't sound Hi-Fi to me. It sounds very slow, lacks clarity and it's not exactly detailed either. I was also amazed that the HD600 has no soundstage for an open headphone which is strange.

I'd think that most folks here would disagree with you. "No soundstage," no way, strange that anyone would say that.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #9,245 of 23,456
Pulled the trigger this week!

Setup will be ...

MacAir or PC > Modi/Magni > HD600

Is there anything else I need in that chain or any tips that can be given to maximize my listening experience?  Burn In (mythical or not)?

Super stoked given the 35% off deal I got on the HD600's - should have all of them in time for some nice long listening time over the long weekend Thanksgiving holiday here in the US.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #9,246 of 23,456
  Pulled the trigger this week!

Setup will be ...

MacAir or PC > Modi/Magni > HD600

Is there anything else I need in that chain or any tips that can be given to maximize my listening experience?  Burn In (mythical or not)?

Super stoked given the 35% off deal I got on the HD600's - should have all of them in time for some nice long listening time over the long weekend Thanksgiving holiday here in the US.

You can maximize your listening experience with a big smile. You certainly have enough to get going. Enjoy.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #9,247 of 23,456
Bye bye Extra~

Why not tell you Dad he,s throwing his money out the window,and that the HD600 is really what you want
If he says no,then ask him to keep the receipt for the Monster,or,whatever junk headphones he's planning on buying you,then return them
apply that money to the headphones you really want..
Thats what I do,with my oldest,just makes life easier for me,Christmas shopping in my area,is a killer

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #9,248 of 23,456
  I'd think that most folks here would disagree with you. "No soundstage," no way, strange that anyone would say that.

I said no soundstage for an full sized open headphone. If the soundstage of an open full sized headphone isn't wider than IEM's, I find that very strange. But my opinion isn't fact since it's just my opinion.

But it sounds very good nonetheless.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #9,249 of 23,456

As you don't list your gear for comparison (in your profile) it's very difficult to counter comment. What were you driving it with? What are you comparing it to? do you own one? How long did you listen for to come to that conclusion?

I find your comment on sound stage strange. It doesn't have a large soundstage like the T1 or HD800 but to me that's a strength not a weakness. The soundstage on the HD600 is believable, and has good sense of depth. More than anything it seems natural. When you get a lot of owners of both the HD800 and HD600 saying they still spend a lot of time with the latter, you know it's still hifi.

I still use it a lot - despite having the T1

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #9,250 of 23,456
As you don't list your gear for comparison (in your profile) it's very difficult to counter comment. What were you driving it with? What are you comparing it to? do you own one? How long did you listen for to come to that conclusion?

I find your comment on sound stage strange. It doesn't have a large soundstage like the T1 or HD800 but to me that's a strength not a weakness. The soundstage on the HD600 is believable, and has good sense of depth. More than anything it seems natural. When you get a lot of owners of both the HD800 and HD600 saying they still spend a lot of time with the latter, you know it's still hifi.

I still use it a lot - despite having the T1

The gear used for comparison was the Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC + AMP with various full sized headphones (HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800, Denon 7X00, and so on .... ) The aim was to buy a new full sized headphone for home use that beats the Shure SE846 + Chord Hugo. The HD600 didn't make it to the final selection despite it's attractive price point. I bought the HD800 in the end which was an easy decision from all those headphones. 

A full sized headphone doesn't need to have a soundstage as big like a HD800, but it should have a soundstage that is much wider than an IEM still.  Else i don't see the point of having an open back design. That's just my opinion. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #9,251 of 23,456

I said no soundstage for an full sized open headphone. If the soundstage of an open full sized headphone isn't wider than IEM's, I find that very strange. But my opinion isn't fact since it's just my opinion.

But it sounds very good nonetheless.

IMO most IEMs can't hold a candle to the HD600's or most quality open back cans. I don't think this notion is going to gain much traction around here.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #9,252 of 23,456
  IMO most IEMs can't hold a candle to the HD600's or most quality open back cans. I don't think this notion is going to gain much traction around here.

That's why I was also very surprised. The HD800 however demolished my Shure SE846, it wasn't even close. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #9,253 of 23,456

The gear used for comparison was the Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC + AMP with various full sized headphones (HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800, Denon 7X00, and so on .... ) The aim was to buy a new full sized headphone for home use that beats the Shure SE846 + Chord Hugo. The HD600 didn't make it to the final selection despite it's attractive price point. I bought the HD800 in the end which was an easy decision from all those headphones. 

A full sized headphone doesn't need to have a soundstage as big like a HD800, but it should have a soundstage that is much wider than an IEM still.  Else i don't see the point of having an open back design. That's just my opinion. 

Thanks.  We'll agree to disagree then
smile.gif
.  Your opinion of what counts as a good/sufficient soundstage and mine are obviously a little different .....

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #9,254 of 23,456

Thanks.  We'll agree to disagree then
smile.gif
.  Your opinion of what counts as a good/sufficient soundstage and mine are obviously a little different .....

Ofcourse. It's just an opinion nonetheless.
normal_smile .gif
  Maybe I'll pick up a HD600 one of these days anyway because they are so cheap and I was very impressed how they sounded. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #9,255 of 23,456

Ofcourse. It's just an opinion nonetheless.
normal_smile%20.gif
  Maybe I'll pick up a HD600 one of these days anyway because they are so cheap and I was very impressed how they sounded. 

Maybe a little head time with them will change the way you see hear things. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back