Sennheiser HD 598 vs Astro A40??
May 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 76
May 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones are full bass, full treble, good sound stage, clear vocals.
The Dt990s gives a "movie theater" like sound.
But I'm sure you would be happy using the HD598, It would have half-way decent bass.
The HD598 would work well for use with portable media players over the DT990s.
The DT990 are $70 cheaper then the HD598s.
$100 cheaper if you got a DT990 store demo (eBay).

Thats good to hear! would you know how the sound stage performs up against the 598s? I assume thats one of the main things that matters for gaming?

Quote:
This thread makes me kind of upset.

I just ordered a Asus Xonar STX along with the HD598's for competitive gaming... was that a bad choice? Sorry for thread jack, just had to ask.

no no problem at all! glad the information could help you. I haer that they are excellent for competitive gaming anyway, better even then the 990 pros, my dilemma is that i'll be doing more single player, in which case bass could help quite a bit (for the movie theatre effect), and apparently the 990s are better in that than the 598s, just want to hear a couple more opinions for gaming. But i really like the look of the 598s, a lot more than the 990 pros

May 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 76
I am going to throw another screw in the works just because I can.

AKG K242HD or K240mkII.

they suit the STX well, have big soundstage, good midbass impact. and if you really wanna blow your mind, swap the opamps in the I/V section with AD797 (for absolute detail) or THS4032 (for smooth sound and detail.)

The difference is crazy, and easily clobbers my Denon D2000 in all the fields it would not have previously.

and its at a bargain price atm

May 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 76
Quote:
Thats good to hear! would you know how the sound stage performs up against the 598s? I assume thats one of the main things that matters for gaming?

no no problem at all! glad the information could help you. I haer that they are excellent for competitive gaming anyway, better even then the 990 pros, my dilemma is that i'll be doing more single player, in which case bass could help quite a bit (for the movie theatre effect), and apparently the 990s are better in that than the 598s, just want to hear a couple more opinions for gaming. But i really like the look of the 598s, a lot more than the 990 pros

they are not really "better" I think both are good and its more down too personal preference.

May 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

they are not really "better" I think both are good and its more down too personal preference.

thanks for clearing that up. i just cant really test them in anyway except by buying them so i just want to make 100% sure of my purchase..one thing that has me worried is of the hd598s will let me down bass wise. if i knew id be happy with that then id get them straight away.

May 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

thanks for clearing that up. i just cant really test them in anyway except by buying them so i just want to make 100% sure of my purchase..one thing that has me worried is of the hd598s will let me down bass wise. if i knew id be happy with that then id get them straight away.

well with the 598s its a different kind of bass, too me it sound less present that with the dt990 but It sound like it goes deeper, I had too listen too them for a while for me too start too like it alot, but if you still find that its lacking you can 1, eq them using your sound card too up the bass 2. Put some felt behind the grill of the headphones

May 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 76
Quote:
well with the 598s its a different kind of bass, too me it sound less present that with the dt990 but It sound like it goes deeper, I had too listen too them for a while for me too start too like it alot, but if you still find that its lacking you can 1, eq them using your sound card too up the bass 2. Put some felt behind the grill of the headphones

did you ever feel that your 598s are boringk? its just that ive read in a couple of places that they give out a boring sound quality, and i definately dont want that for a $250 headset

May 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #23 of 76
The HD598 is indeed quite boring bass-wise. But it beats the DT990's mids hands down IMO, although the DT990 has better detail. Overall, the HD598 has a more airy sound and better soundstage than the DT990 as well. I know many will hate me but I just can't be pleased with beyer cans somehow. Just my 2 cents. It's better for you to try them out yourself.

May 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 76
The HD598 is indeed quite boring bass-wise. But it beats the DT990's mids hands down IMO, although the DT990 has better detail. Overall, the HD598 has a more airy sound and better soundstage than the DT990 as well. I know many will hate me but I just can't be pleased with beyer cans somehow. Just my 2 cents. It's better for you to try them out yourself.

have you tried what SONIC BOOM suggested? That is:

Quote:
1. eq them using your sound card too up the bass 2. Put some felt behind the grill of the headphones

just want to know whether this will help the bass out, because i do want them to sound as life-like as possible, and having a dull bass (especially with gaming, with explosions and bullets flying everywhere) will just sound fake?

May 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

have you tried what SONIC BOOM suggested? That is:

EQ does help, but it beats the purpose of the HD598, since it is a mid-centric headphone. While it's lacking in bass, I'm perfectly happy because if I was looking for bass I wouldn't be buying the 598 in the first place. If you are new to head-fi then at first you must decide on what do you want from the headphones, because ultimately, you will have to forfeit some others. There's no headphones that excel in everything, and IMO, it's better not to alter a headphone's sound signature.

May 28, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

EQ does help, but it beats the purpose of the HD598, since it is a mid-centric headphone. While it's lacking in bass, I'm perfectly happy because if I was looking for bass I wouldn't be buying the 598 in the first place. If you are new to head-fi then at first you must decide on what do you want from the headphones, because ultimately, you will have to forfeit some others. There's no headphones that excel in everything, and IMO, it's better not to alter a headphone's sound signature.

Thanks for clearing that up. As you know i am very new to this whole audiophile genre. I would be mainly using my headphones for gaming (since im investing in dolby headphone with virtual surround i want explosions and bullets to sound as realistic as possible, so mainly FPS)  and music (mainly rap and pop). But my main concern is gaming. Would you have a suggestion as to what type of headphone i should be using for those categories? ie. would i need something with better sound stage (i hear the 598s are better in that) or would bass be what im mainly concerned about (where the 990 pro excel). 

May 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. As you know i am very new to this whole audiophile genre. I would be mainly using my headphones for gaming (since im investing in dolby headphone with virtual surround i want explosions and bullets to sound as realistic as possible, so mainly FPS)  and music (mainly rap and pop). But my main concern is gaming. Would you have a suggestion as to what type of headphone i should be using for those categories? ie. would i need something with better sound stage (i hear the 598s are better in that) or would bass be what im mainly concerned about (where the 990 pro excel). 

Actually you want the best IMAGINING you can get, with good soundstage, not the biggest.

Imaging is more or less the accuracy and placement of the sounds.

May 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

I've always used my HD598 for gaming and watching videos/movies, and I have no complain whatsoever. It's even better with FPS with the great soundstage you get with the HD598. You should definitely check this out too, mostly on why headphones with dolby 5.1 or 7.1 is not necessarily better in gaming compared to others without it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added

May 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #29 of 76
Quote:
I've always used my HD598 for gaming and watching videos/movies, and I have no complain whatsoever. It's even better with FPS with the great soundstage you get with the HD598. You should definitely check this out too, mostly on why headphones with dolby 5.1 or 7.1 is not necessarily better in gaming compared to others without it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added

+1 dolby Idose not do anything for me, in fact I find it harder too use dolby gaming because everything sound so distant its hard too pin point the direction anything is coming from 

May 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #30 of 76
Quote:
+1 dolby Idose not do anything for me, in fact I find it harder too use dolby gaming because everything sound so distant its hard too pin point the direction anything is coming from 

Yeah but I really like dolby surround sound in movie theaters though. Give me the chill 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back