Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,007 of 7,535

Quote:
i see youre saying the hd598 reveals details just as well as a KNS-8400, and i think the krk does a pretty superb job.

you wouldnt say the k240's do just as well as a job as the hd598?

Sorry, I never meant to say they're as detailed as the KNS-8400. Not even close. It's just that there are SOME details I can here that are also on the KNS-8400. Very, very subtle details. What's weird is that these tiny details are harder to hear when the soundstage becomes even larger. On my old K702 they were so distant sounding and I always thought maybe the K702 was less detailed
biggrin.gif

Honestly I haven't listened to my K240 Studio regularly in at least a year. I don't think it's comparable to the 598. Pretty sure the HD-598 is far more detailed and clear. K240 Studio is one good headphone though. Maybe I need to give the K240 another listen. I actually love my K240 Studio and prefer it to the Sextette!

HD-598 is no detail monster, but it's still very detailed and more so than people give it credit for. Too bad more people were not afraid of ripping out it's stock cable. I don't want to ever suggest this because it voids the warranty. DIY people would find it a nice cheap upgrade that's slightly risky.

One of my favorite CDs for testing headphones is "In the Heart of the Moon" from Ali Farka Toure. Fairly simple stuff and easy to pick out all the tiny details. That CD hates Sennheiser headphones for some reason though. HD-598 is the exception. Sounds best with the Q701, KRK KNS-8400 and my old Audio Technica ATH-AD2000. You'd think that a Sennheiser would be amazing for acoustic guitar music...

Another funny thing to think about is that my DJ100 has more sub-bass detail than my HD-598 and KNS-8400. Does this make it more detailed than those? Not really
normal_smile%20.gif
Lots of stuff in the bass areas that's not really as present on the KNS-8400 and HD-598.

Think I did an old comparison of the 8400, DJ100 and HD-598. I'll have to dig that up. I know that makes no sense because they're so different.

Here's the old comparison I did. It's the 8400 vs the DJ100, HD-598, Sextett and V6.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540079/five-headphones-compared-kns-8400-dj100-hd-598-sextett-and-mdr-7506

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #1,009 of 7,535
Dear tdockweiler,

May I ask what kind of cable that you used to recable HD598 and you only replaced the HD 598's original stock cable or you modded the cable inside the driver of HD 598?

Thanks for reading this post and thanks for your answer.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,010 of 7,535

Quote:
Dear tdockweiler,

May I ask what kind of cable that you used to recable HD598 and you only replaced the HD 598's original stock cable or you modded the cable inside the driver of HD 598?

Thanks for reading this post and thanks for your answer.

Yeah I ripped out the internal wires (and the PCB). I don't suggest this unless you're willing to risk it since you could fry the driver and if you don't like the sound, it's hard to go back to stock. Another negative is that it will now make them dual entry and you need to drill a hole in the shell. Took me about 2 seconds. It voids the warranty too. So if it's an early pair that cracks, you're out of luck. Super glue works though
biggrin.gif
Mine has a tiny crack and hasn't expanded in over 6 months.

I use a cheap wire that's CA-0363 found here:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=CA-0363&Category_Code=

I'm about 90% sure it's actually an un-branded Belden wire. Sounds much better than Mogami, Canare, the HD-650 cable and even the Belden 1192A.
Basically it sounds like the stock signature, but with more detail, clearer sounded and much improved soundstage.

DIY people that are good with a soldering iron should try it.

I really do think the slightly grainy sound of the HD-598 is caused by it's stock cable. It's really not very noticeable though and I never found it a problem. I usually would have to compare it to the HD-600 to hear it and it's only in specific music. Weird..

I replaced my Mogami HD-598 cable with that CA-0363 and it feels like I just got a new headphone..the Mogami makes the 598 even warmer though, which might be nice for some.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,011 of 7,535
Owning both the HD 650 and the HD 598, there is no question, that for me, the 598s are superior in every way to the 650s.  The 650s were the first good headphones I bought, so I keep them around for sentimental reasons.

Quote:
Am I the only one here who thinks these are VERY detailed and quite revealing? No, not like a studio monitor, but the level of detail is actually very high. I do have it recabled though (cheap stuff) and this might help a bit.

I remember once comparing them to the HD-600/HD-650 and found them even more detailed and revealing. HD-650 fans will say otherwise, but that's OK
normal_smile%20.gif

Of course this is with budget (under $350) amps. I won't be surprised if the HD-650 could be made more revealing with a new cable and $1000 amp+dac. Well, duh. I've foun the HD-598 doesn't improve too much with amp upgrades. Not like the HD-600 and HD-650.

Heck, these things can even pick up recording hiss, static and all that other annoying stuff with ease. With my new cheapy recable, there's some details I'm hearing that I've only heard on the DT-880, KRK KNS-8400 and Koss A/250 (detail monster!). I don't even think it's there on my Q701, but i'll need to check.

I think often that some details are easier to hear on headphones with different sound signatures. For example, there's some detail I can hear on the KNS-6400 that's not there on the 8400. Does it mean the 6400 is more detailed? Not really.

It seems like so many people on here say headphone A is more detailed than headphone B, but don't give proof of this. Like does the detail suddenly go missing? To me it seems like when a headphone is fairly revealing, that detail almost never goes missing. Often due to frequency variations, it's easy to get fooled into thinking one headphone is more detailed, but it really is just that this "detail" is more forward and present.

Someone should do a review of all the detail monsters and take notes of each tracks. Maybe I can do this when I get bored. I'm willing to bet money the HD-598 is more detailed than the HD-650. It'd make for a nice comparison. People say the HD-650 is very detailed, but yet say it's not meant to be. Huh?! Isn't that a strength of the HD-650? Not being too revealing and make lower quality recordings sound fairly decent? To me, the HD-598 is good a taming some very bad tracks, but is a bit more revealing than the HD-600/650. A tiny bit more unforgiving. Yes, I said it.

I think the HD-598 holds up very well to the Q701 when it comes to the level of detail. Loses out on sound clarity a bit, but the HD-598 is a bit more musical IMO. I love both about equally though.

I'm really surprised there are not more HD-600 vs HD-598 reviews. I think the 598 is far better than the HD-600 and HD-650 and not just due to preferences. People (me included) say the HD-650 is technically better, but I think this is just an excuse without doing a review. Too bad I no longer own the HD-650.

BTW I know the science guys will love this, but I think all the HD- headphones are held back by their crappy stock cables. I think there is a reason for their selection though. I guess they're not bad, just that it holds back what they're capable of. The HD-598 stock cable is a joke..

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,013 of 7,535
Well, my HD598 just got delivered earlier on and so far I'm impressed. I don't know why I put off buying these for so long. They are just what I was looking for in a headphone, a good all around open can with a nice soundstage. These are a big step up from my AD-700.

The one thing that I was wondering is if something like a fiio e9 would net me much of an improvement paired up with my titanium hd with these headphones. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,014 of 7,535

Quote:
Well, my HD598 just got delivered earlier on and so far I'm impressed. I don't know why I put off buying these for so long. They are just what I was looking for in a headphone, a good all around open can with a nice soundstage. These are a big step up from my AD-700.

The one thing that I was wondering is if something like a fiio e9 would net me much of an improvement paired up with my titanium hd with these headphones. 

I started a whole thread on that very same premise, and I still don't know the answer. What I gathered is some say it will barely help, some say it's totally worth it and others fall somewhere in between.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580108/does-absence-of-an-amp-and-or-dac-really-bottleneck-the-hd-598

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,015 of 7,535
Jan 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,016 of 7,535
I got my HD-598s about a week ago and at first I didn't really care for them. They sounded anemic and the bass was just not there, sure they sounded nice and balanced but I definately expected more for the money. Normal listening habits during the past week had pretty much been exclusively listening to Pandora through my computers headphones jack. Disappointed with my new cans, I started researching more about Grado headphones as those seemed to really get great reviews, as well, specifically the 225is which are in the same price range. So, I went down to my local Hi-Fi shop who is an authorized retailer of Grado to demo the whole prestige line along with comparing them to my HD-598s. I started with the HD-598s and slapped in my copy of Dire Straights Brothers in Arms and let so far away spin up and good lord they sounded sweet! Bass was thumping and the headphones just seemed to open up. It's like the horse blankets had been thrown off my cans! This was what I was expecting! now I put on the 225i's. They were waaaay to bright and bass was not there, not compared to the Senns. For me the HD-598s were far and away the better headphone in every catergory. I even let the owner of the shop listen and he was very impressed. The problem I am now faced with is that my hi-fi shop was using a $700 tube pre-amp and an Adcom amp probably another $700 (didn't catch the price on that one). Anyway, I think the HD-598s benefit greatly from quality electronics and now I need to research headphone amps and DACs in order to get me back to the experience I crave for these headphones.
Anyone have a good recommendation for great bang for the buck headphone amp and or DAC? So far, I've read good things about the V-CANs. Anyone tried those?

In summary, I am now a believer in these headphones if paired with quality electronics

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,018 of 7,535
Compare 598 to SR80i? That's a lot like comparing a friendly old St. Bernard to a Jack Russell terrier. :wink:

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,019 of 7,535
I remember Headfonia said that HD 598 is a remarkable headphone that you need to use expensive DAC-AMP to use all of potential of it and when you can do it, surely it can beat HD 650 in many genres.

Quote:
I got my HD-598s about a week ago and at first I didn't really care for them. They sounded anemic and the bass was just not there, sure they sounded nice and balanced but I definately expected more for the money. Normal listening habits during the past week had pretty much been exclusively listening to Pandora through my computers headphones jack. Disappointed with my new cans, I started researching more about Grado headphones as those seemed to really get great reviews, as well, specifically the 225is which are in the same price range. So, I went down to my local Hi-Fi shop who is an authorized retailer of Grado to demo the whole prestige line along with comparing them to my HD-598s. I started with the HD-598s and slapped in my copy of Dire Straights Brothers in Arms and let so far away spin up and good lord they sounded sweet! Bass was thumping and the headphones just seemed to open up. It's like the horse blankets had been thrown off my cans! This was what I was expecting! now I put on the 225i's. They were waaaay to bright and bass was not there, not compared to the Senns. For me the HD-598s were far and away the better headphone in every catergory. I even let the owner of the shop listen and he was very impressed. The problem I am now faced with is that my hi-fi shop was using a $700 tube pre-amp and an Adcom amp probably another $700 (didn't catch the price on that one). Anyway, I think the HD-598s benefit greatly from quality electronics and now I need to research headphone amps and DACs in order to get me back to the experience I crave for these headphones.
Anyone have a good recommendation for great bang for the buck headphone amp and or DAC? So far, I've read good things about the V-CANs. Anyone tried those?

In summary, I am now a believer in these headphones if paired with quality electronics

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,020 of 7,535

Quote:
Compare 598 to SR80i? That's a lot like comparing a friendly old St. Bernard to a Jack Russell terrier. :wink:

I was thinking more of a poodle vs a Greyhound.
biggrin.gif

The HD-650 would be like that yellow dog from "Funny Farm"

IMO all those other headphones are nearly complete opposites of the HD-598.
The D1100 is like a bass monster compared to the HD-598.

The Beyers are mostly cold and analytical compared to the HD-598. Not sure about the DT-990.

if you want to imagine an HD-598, take an SR-225i and combine it with an HD-600. Is that way off? probably, but I can't come up with something better.

It's kind of like an HD-600 that doesn't bore me to death and with more detail and treble...along with a much larger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back