Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #991 of 7,535
Oh my god :frowning2:  Just got in my 598s... and they don't fit the jack for my computer.  The 1/4 -> 1/8 stepper is too wide to fit in the spot it has to go into :/ 

This is what it won't fit into:

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #998 of 7,535
Hey all! Two questions:

I'm running my HD598 from a E9 but I'm having to jump from room to room in my house while listening because we're a little crowded. So I'm thinking about something portable...

Can anyone do a comparison of HD598 who has both the E11 (or JDS cmoy or Ibasso amps, etc.. pretty much anything under $150 or so) and the E9 and give me a sense of what I'd be missing if anything if I went portable? I know the HD598 doesn't need a ton of power but when I tried a E11 (though just for a few minutes; I don't own one), it didn't seem to give me what the E9 did. But I could be wrong. I want to be wrong because lugging the E9 around is a nuisance. So can someone tell me if I'm wrong? Really hoping to find someone who can compare the E9 and a $50-150 portable?

Second question:

Who knows where to find a shorter cable for the HD598? The 10 feet is a pain for sitting at the desk and going from room to room. Not looking for top of the line...

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #999 of 7,535

Not sure if you can just get a shorter one. I'd try reterminating the stock cable if you're up for it.
Quote:

Who knows where to find a shorter cable for the HD598? The 10 feet is a pain for sitting at the desk and going from room to room. Not looking for top of the line...

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,003 of 7,535
Guys, do you think that the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 is enough to drive the HD598?
It does have a "Headphone load impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω".

I'm just asking because I'd like to know if I'm using the HD598 to their full potential or not.

Thanks you.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,004 of 7,535
Wish me luck!

I sent an email asking to have replaced my cracked HD 598's. (Don't worry, my model its from the first series, and one of the first on Head-Fi, yours should be fine now).

Trouble is, there's no service centre or dealer nearby and despite Sennheiser's assurements that they will replace them for free as long i can prove i'm the original owner (yes i have the papers and the original box), i'm pretty sure they'll ask me to pay the transportation back and forth. Which is something i don't agree, paying for something that it's really not my fault.

Anyway i'll keep you updated.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #1,005 of 7,535
Am I the only one here who thinks these are VERY detailed and quite revealing? No, not like a studio monitor, but the level of detail is actually very high. I do have it recabled though (cheap stuff) and this might help a bit.

I remember once comparing them to the HD-600/HD-650 and found them even more detailed and revealing. HD-650 fans will say otherwise, but that's OK
normal_smile%20.gif

Of course this is with budget (under $350) amps. I won't be surprised if the HD-650 could be made more revealing with a new cable and $1000 amp+dac. Well, duh. I've foun the HD-598 doesn't improve too much with amp upgrades. Not like the HD-600 and HD-650.

Heck, these things can even pick up recording hiss, static and all that other annoying stuff with ease. With my new cheapy recable, there's some details I'm hearing that I've only heard on the DT-880, KRK KNS-8400 and Koss A/250 (detail monster!). I don't even think it's there on my Q701, but i'll need to check.

I think often that some details are easier to hear on headphones with different sound signatures. For example, there's some detail I can hear on the KNS-6400 that's not there on the 8400. Does it mean the 6400 is more detailed? Not really.

It seems like so many people on here say headphone A is more detailed than headphone B, but don't give proof of this. Like does the detail suddenly go missing? To me it seems like when a headphone is fairly revealing, that detail almost never goes missing. Often due to frequency variations, it's easy to get fooled into thinking one headphone is more detailed, but it really is just that this "detail" is more forward and present.

Someone should do a review of all the detail monsters and take notes of each tracks. Maybe I can do this when I get bored. I'm willing to bet money the HD-598 is more detailed than the HD-650. It'd make for a nice comparison. People say the HD-650 is very detailed, but yet say it's not meant to be. Huh?! Isn't that a strength of the HD-650? Not being too revealing and make lower quality recordings sound fairly decent? To me, the HD-598 is good a taming some very bad tracks, but is a bit more revealing than the HD-600/650. A tiny bit more unforgiving. Yes, I said it.

I think the HD-598 holds up very well to the Q701 when it comes to the level of detail. Loses out on sound clarity a bit, but the HD-598 is a bit more musical IMO. I love both about equally though.

I'm really surprised there are not more HD-600 vs HD-598 reviews. I think the 598 is far better than the HD-600 and HD-650 and not just due to preferences. People (me included) say the HD-650 is technically better, but I think this is just an excuse without doing a review. Too bad I no longer own the HD-650.

BTW I know the science guys will love this, but I think all the HD- headphones are held back by their crappy stock cables. I think there is a reason for their selection though. I guess they're not bad, just that it holds back what they're capable of. The HD-598 stock cable is a joke..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back