Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #46 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi everyone on the forum!
I've recently bought HD201 and quickly realized it was mistake :) Maybe i am not audiophile - I am completely happy with Creative GW T20 as music speakers - but i like good audio and could not live with cheap headphone's sound.

After couple of days, lurking into forums and reviews i decided to buy HD 558 or HD 598. And this is it - i don't know which model. I plan to use my new headphones with FiiO E7 DAC/Amp.

I usually listen to TripHop, Chillout and Smooth/Acid Jazz. Sometimes switching to techno/trance (@work, when i need it).
My new HPs will be used in pair with laptop and E7 as i mentioned above (Do they work correctly? Any experiences?)

I am nearly decided to go for 598, expecially very little diffrence in price and fact that i am not good at modding and even such simple modification of 558 (in order to improve) makes my head dizzy :) But i am concerned about "highs" of 598 - i am not bass freak but i'd like to hear nice, smooth "lows" as well. And this "cracking" problem. Hope its solved by Sennheiser now.

I'll buy my chosen HPs in next few days and share my impressions then.

I had them both for a couple weeks. Now I just have the HD598 because I simply find it superior, and in more than one way. I was also planning on a HD558 vs HD598 comparison, but I think I may just do a standalone review. We'll see.

First, it's more comfortable. Much more comfortable. Second, it sounds more refined, and flat out just sounds better. Third, it actually looks better, but that's just preference. (It looks a lot cooler in person than in pictures).

I was worried about the brightness as well, because I am pretty strict when it comes to treble. But the HD598 have never fatigued me the slightest in the treble. They are energetic, yet have smooth and non fatiguing treble. I actually find it quite amazing that they were able to give it great energy and involvement without making the treble step out of line. Bottom line, it's my favorite headphone I've ever tried.

Besides, even if you got the HD558, you WILL have the urges to upgrade later, and it will happen. I would just save the money and go straight to the top of that series with the HD598.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #47 of 7,535
This might sound weird, but can anyone recommend the right sort of source/amping these cans need to sound best?
Will these just simply improve on most fronts if they were being driven by a powerful amp (easily capable of a 600 ohm HP)?
Has anyone had experience with the E7 E9 combo, possibly with the HD598 itself? Was looking at this as I already have the E7, so maybe the E9 can give that extra grunt. 

In particular, I was looking to make them sound a tad warmer. I listen to 80's thrash metal which as many of you will know has god-awful production (in most cases) with overly emphasised high end. Any experience or suggestion to this? maybe EQing?
Aside from this, I've found that (especially with well produced music) these do give AWESOME bass when the music demands it, and I've had to re-rip all my compressed music, lossless on these is GREAT.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #48 of 7,535

Quote:
This might sound weird, but can anyone recommend the right sort of source/amping these cans need to sound best?
Will these just simply improve on most fronts if they were being driven by a powerful amp (easily capable of a 600 ohm HP)?
Has anyone had experience with the E7 E9 combo, possibly with the HD598 itself? Was looking at this as I already have the E7, so maybe the E9 can give that extra grunt. 

In particular, I was looking to make them sound a tad warmer. I listen to 80's thrash metal which as many of you will know has god-awful production (in most cases) with overly emphasised high end. Any experience or suggestion to this? maybe EQing?
Aside from this, I've found that (especially with well produced music) these do give AWESOME bass when the music demands it, and I've had to re-rip all my compressed music, lossless on these is GREAT.

Don't take my word for it, but I don't think so, the max output for the E7 is 300 ohms(or somewhere around that) and the impedance for the 598s are 50 ohms i don't think adding an additional x oms with the e9  amp will make a difference...

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #49 of 7,535
High impedance hps need voltage while low impedance hps like hd598 craves current. That's why many tube amps that handle hd650 find won't do the job for hd598.

Without proper amping, the volume is there but sounds lifeless and boring.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #50 of 7,535

Quote:
High impedance hps need voltage while low impedance hps like hd598 craves current. That's why many tube amps that handle hd650 find won't do the job for hd598.

Without proper amping, the volume is there but sounds lifeless and boring.

Do you know what type of amp an E9 is? would it work well in the way you described? Sorry am not familiar with amps, past headphones have been low impedance in ears that only really needed a portable.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #52 of 7,535

Do you know what type of amp an E9 is? would it work well in the way you described? Sorry am not familiar with amps, past headphones have been low impedance in ears that only really needed a portable.

It's a sold state desktop amp. This reviewer liked the e9 with the similar hd558:

http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-dekstop-amplifier/

Based on the amount of positive feedback I have read around here about the e7/e9 combo I assume it's a safe bet.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #54 of 7,535
i am seriously considering this headphones.. but like ACDOAN said.. how could i know whether the product i am about to buy is the revised one with the better material or not?? is there anything that could make me tell if the item is the "new version" right from the box??

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #55 of 7,535
I also asked the same thing, for a serial number or anything, but havn't recieved an answer yet. I am still with the broken pair.
confused_face.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 7,535
heard them yesterday.  A good store near my that has crazy high end speakers and a bunch of headphones you can listen too.  The entire Grado line and a bunch of Senns from 400 - 800.     I am not a headphone expert, just started really looking and getting into these recently.  The 598's sounded good, were comfy and I am sure will fit my gaming/movie requirements.

I think i will be getting these.  I was waiting for FA-011 reviews, but heard something in the thread that kinda made me think other wise

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #57 of 7,535

headstar..if in my country the hd598 is almost 300U$, do you think it will be worth it? initially i wanted to buy hd558, but after hearing both, I really prefers 598 a lot.. however, i can get hd558 for only 160$ here.. so, coupled with the uncertainty of hd598's material quality, its really a big dilemma now.. 
Quote:
I also asked the same thing, for a serial number or anything, but havn't recieved an answer yet. I am still with the broken pair.
confused_face.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #58 of 7,535
HD 598 sounds fantastic, but the price difference for you, from one to another its also fantastic.
But then, don't buy HD 558 for the cracking issue alone, those crack too, the plastic color doesn't matter, its a design flaw.
I have studied carefuly my HD 598 and HD 448 wondering why the first have cracked in just a few days after i took them, while HD 448 are much older and have no problems at all.
And the issue its right there at the joint between the cups and headband. On HD 448 that piece that comes from inside the headband, its free to move, right above the external piece (see foto 2), allowing a much better angle and better fit, for people who have the ears more at the back. On the other side, the movement of that piece on HD 598 its restricted (you can see that by looking at both pairs, 598 its almost parrallel to the headband, while 448 has a wider angle), and its resting inside putting pressure on the exterior piece (the one with Sennheiser name on it, see foto 1). So that means while you wear them, that piece is pushing into the other until it makes it crack in a desperate tryout to achieve the ideal fit. I wish they can solve this only by hardening the plastic but i am not sure, as long as the desing remains identical the pressure will still be there, and they will crack. (see foto 3) If you check back on the first page, the crack wasn't there, now its on both sides, and has a size of about 0,5 inch or 12mm.
I still hope one day i will be able to recieve a new pair that won't have this issue, and also that i won't have to pay additional to have it delivered. In the end i really don't think it is my fault at all.
My answer can't be but mixed, for the sound they worth every money, comfort and look too, but the cracking problem its a big disappointment.
(Note: Click on the photos to see them full size)

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #59 of 7,535
If the headband on the HD598 is identical in its' composition and design to the headband of the HD595, the problem should be solved by a change in the plastic to a softer, less brittle plastic.  I have had a pair of HD555's and HD595's with the cracking problem, and the crack is due not to the swivel joint on the upper headband, but due to the combination of the inflexible, brittle plastic on the outer and inner section of the part of the headband that couples the upper headband to the earcup, with the flexing and twisting that that portion undergoes when the headphone is put on the head and when worn by the user.  A change to a softer, less brittle and more impact resistant plastic, like that of the HD448, would most likely solve the problem.  I will be receiving a pair of HD598's fresh from the newest shipment to Sennheiser USA, in a few weeks (they have been backordered for a while now), and I will be able to confirm if the change has worked or not then.

--Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back