Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 7,535

Quote:
I use them primarily for metal, including some of the most sick types of it, and I don't have any issues with them, actually I found them quite good with it, especially with progressive metal. Maybe black metal sounds a bit strange, but I think it's due to the fact that BM recordings are far from hi-fi quality, thus the production errors really come forward.

Ditto.  No problems on the 598 w/ Korn, Disturbed, Godsmack, Danzig, etc for me.  The SS is ideal for classical orchestra but the FR and Prat handles all genres well IMO.  If he had been talking about the HD595 that would make sense.  The 598 is something completely different yet w/ similar sound sig.  Hard to grasp I know.  

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #32 of 7,535

Quote:

Quote:

Here in Sennheiser, our products need to pass through stringent quality tests before they are released to the market. However, there may be instances where a small batch of products may still suffer some undesired quality issues. In this case, we've heard of customers writing in about cracks on their HD 598 headbands. But this does not mean that all units of HD 598 that we've produced will crack after a few days of usage.

Nevertheless, we've decided to act on this by changing the material to improve and make it even better. And you may rest assure that we'll stand by our 2-year warranty claim. So long as you bring in your HD 598 with your receipt / proof of purchase to our service centres, we'll provide you with a replacement unit. 

Cheers!

I am glad that Senn have taken a proper fix but it's better to know how to avoid buying those that have not have the new "fix". By serial number, by year of production, by color of the package?
I am gladly to be the owner of the HD 598 but I do not want to take a chance. 

Off the topic but the AVR denon 3310ci line has a lot of issue regarding the HD radio module and the wireless internet function but people over AVS forum have narrow down to the serial number of certain batch to buy without the mishaps. I.E, serial number start with 90xxxxxxxxx and after is a good batch.

Such information if can be obtained and I am sure Senn has such information is tremendously helpful.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #33 of 7,535
Just received it, and right out of the box, bass was lacking especially for me who had M50 previously.  However, even after an hour, I feel more balanced sound, and hoping it to improve over time further.  The headphone is lighter than M50, and the airy sound adds to the overall smooth feeling that I've heard about Senns HPs.  Frankly, rock music is not as fun as M50 feels more precise in general.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #34 of 7,535

Quote:
Just received it, and right out of the box, bass was lacking especially for me who had M50 previously.  However, even after an hour, I feel more balanced sound, and hoping it to improve over time further.  The headphone is lighter than M50, and the airy sound adds to the overall smooth feeling that I've heard about Senns HPs.  Frankly, rock music is not as fun as M50 feels more precise in general.

Those two would be awesome complementary phones.  They take two completely different music presentations but do their thing very well and make listening very enjoyable.  I think you have every Genre covered w/ those two phones.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #38 of 7,535

Quote:
But HD558 are quite similar, right?

Somewhat close after the foam mod.  Without the foam mod they are the same house sound w/ 2 different presentations if that makes sense.  Honestly, some might like the 558 more for their musical tastes and content.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 7,535
Do you think the 558 does female vocals better than the HD-598? Do you think they're more forward sounding without being too shouty? I imagine the soundstage and clarity is about the same.
I love my HD-598, but lately I've been using my HD-650 nonstop. For games somehow I've been preferring the AD700 because of the very slightly better clarity and super huge soundstage.
Too bad the AD700 has a slight dip in the mids and they're kind of bright. For music I still prefer the HD-598 by far, but the AD700 is a good alternative since they're so different.
HD-650 is awful with gaming and I was hoping it'd be "OK". Sometimes it feels like a closed headphone with a very good soundstage.

Quote:
Somewhat close after the foam mod.  Without the foam mod they are the same house sound w/ 2 different presentations if that makes sense.  Honestly, some might like the 558 more for their musical tastes and content.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 7,535

Quote:
Do you think the 558 does female vocals better than the HD-598? Do you think they're more forward sounding without being too shouty? I imagine the soundstage and clarity is about the same.
I love my HD-598, but lately I've been using my HD-650 nonstop. For games somehow I've been preferring the AD700 because of the very slightly better clarity and super huge soundstage.
Too bad the AD700 has a slight dip in the mids and they're kind of bright. For music I still prefer the HD-598 by far, but the AD700 is a good alternative since they're so different.
HD-650 is awful with gaming and I was hoping it'd be "OK". Sometimes it feels like a closed headphone with a very good soundstage.

No, 598 is better for female vocals unless you want a more intimate, smoky lushness rather than clearer vocal nuance and micro detail.  Unmodded the 558 is a touch warmer and more forward than the 598 in mids.  The 558 can be more shouty (forward?) but warmer.  598 has same or a bit better clarity and far better SS and imaging. The foam and grill design really matter there IMO.  That's where the magic happens.  All my ears of course.  Sounds like the AD700 SS would be too much for me to tolerate for music.    

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #41 of 7,535
I just bought my set last week (praying I got the fixed headband version), can anyone give an average burn in time for the 598? 

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #42 of 7,535
Three weeks of daily use. And do not play weird noises on them, stick with real music.
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #43 of 7,535
Neah, you must use lossless pink noise for the best effects :wink: Seriously though, about 50 hours or until the start sounding better, whichever comes first.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #44 of 7,535
Hi everyone on the forum!
I've recently bought HD201 and quickly realized it was mistake :) Maybe i am not audiophile - I am completely happy with Creative GW T20 as music speakers - but i like good audio and could not live with cheap headphone's sound.

After couple of days, lurking into forums and reviews i decided to buy HD 558 or HD 598. And this is it - i don't know which model. I plan to use my new headphones with FiiO E7 DAC/Amp.

I usually listen to TripHop, Chillout and Smooth/Acid Jazz. Sometimes switching to techno/trance (@work, when i need it).
My new HPs will be used in pair with laptop and E7 as i mentioned above (Do they work correctly? Any experiences?)

I am nearly decided to go for 598, expecially very little diffrence in price and fact that i am not good at modding and even such simple modification of 558 (in order to improve) makes my head dizzy :) But i am concerned about "highs" of 598 - i am not bass freak but i'd like to hear nice, smooth "lows" as well. And this "cracking" problem. Hope its solved by Sennheiser now.

I'll buy my chosen HPs in next few days and share my impressions then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back