Sennheiser HD 580 vs. HD 600 ?
Dec 22, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #32 of 53
I'm currently looking for an amp, actually. I'm quite desperate! Hopefully I will be getting one very soon.

Dec 22, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #33 of 53
The biggest difference to me, is in the bass... the HD600 bass is a lot tauter... a lot more there than on the HD580s... in a strange twist of fate... I can now hear the dreaded Sennhesier veil on the HD580s, when compared to the HD600s...

BUT, this isn't as apparent at moderate volumes, its only when you give the 'phones a little bit of stick that the HD600 shine a LOT more than the HD580s... at more normal volumes, I think you'd be hard pushed to pinpoint a difference
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #34 of 53
Duncan -> You've ALREADY got me thinking about what I'm missing, AND I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED MY HD 580's YET! Guess I'm gonna have to get the HD 600's too, soon as my wallet recovers.
frown.gif
(Boy, this little hobby of our's sure is addictive isn't it?)
evil_smiley.gif
GlowWorm

Dec 22, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #35 of 53
GlowWorm...

Put that wallet away!!

Most people can't really tell the difference between the two... just a shade of difference maybe... the only reason that I can seemingly tell such a huge difference, is because i'm a volume junky ~ I think that the carbon / metal finish of the HD600 comes into play there as much as anything psychoacoustic...

So, stick with the HD580s and a nice aftermarket cable, sit back and smile as you realise that you've got 110% of the STANDARD HD600 sound for less cash
biggrin.gif

(unless of course, you abuse the volume control like I do??
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Dec 22, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #36 of 53
Enjoying my 580's at "moderate" volumes now
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have the Clou Blue, but it's still a bit too stiff for me despite Jeff's mods to it. Thus, it's still stock cable for me, until I find the money to get a more expensive (comfortable) cable.

Dec 22, 2002 at 10:50 AM Post #40 of 53
Hmm...I like to move around ,sleep with my phones on, so that to me is an important factor. The Clou Blue, is not THAT bad in this regard, but to me (at least for now) it was enough for me to use the stock cable. Besides, the 580 sounds good enough (for now anyways
very_evil_smiley.gif
) with the stock cable to me.

Dec 23, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by gswpete
Hmm...I like to move around ,sleep with my phones on, so that to me is an important factor. The Clou Blue, is not THAT bad in this regard, but to me (at least for now) it was enough for me to use the stock cable. Besides, the 580 sounds good enough (for now anyways
very_evil_smiley.gif
) with the stock cable to me.

Thanks gswpete, I should be o.k w/ the Clou's, because I generally dont sleep w/ my cans on but w/ my new 580s ya never know?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #43 of 53
anyone ever try testing 2 hd580's against each other (or 2 hd600's)? there are variations due to manufacturing (i mean if every driver off the line sounded the same, why would they have to be matched?
wink.gif
)

if there is a difference, it's probably because of the tighter driver matching and/or the metal rear grill. but then again you could always wind up with a lucky 580 with great matching or listen to the 580 with out the back of the earpiece on.

i'd like to see someone get 50 hd580's and 50 hd600's and see if people could blindly sort them by sound.

Dec 23, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #44 of 53
Hey skippy -> I thought about the same senario myself... Maybe it's a case of "the luck of the draw" w/ the 580's, and you might by "chance" get a pair that have matched drivers within 1db like the 600's do?
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #45 of 53
Ignorance is bliss I suppose, the only way I could tell the 2 headphones apart when I was shopping for them was that the 600 clamped my head tighter and seemed a tad heavier. Playing everything from Tori Amos to Metallica they sounded the same to me. It came down to whether I wanted to spend an extra $100 for the spiffy carbon fiber goodness and metal grills, which was a hard enough decision too. Knowing that I'd need to get a new amp was what made the decision for me, so 580's it was, no regrets.

I believe there's a fellow head-fier who lives about 5 minutes from me who also has a set of 580's, perhaps some listening can be arranged....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back