Sennheiser hd 558 cable replacement question
Dec 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

jrkong

Formerly known as ak47-whaaa
Member of the Trade: SPEAR Labs
Hey everyone, i just got a pair of sennheiser HD 558's and i love 'em but where can i get a shorter cable for them 3 meters is just too long i want a cable i can use for an ipod/iphone

I really need the help

Im an audio noob. XD

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 75
I am looking for a shorter cable with a 3.5 mm plug also.
They have to exist somewhere.

May 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 75
Personally, I just wrap the cable up in a sort of knot.  Loop it around several times, then wrap the cable around itself - then push the end of the cable through one of the outer loops and pull it tight.  Don't have a picture of the knot right now and I don't know what it's called, but it worked for me...also, if you needed to have a smaller plug at the end I'd recommend you just get a Y splitter and use that.

May 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 75

Quote:
Personally, I just wrap the cable up in a sort of knot.  Loop it around several times, then wrap the cable around itself - then push the end of the cable through one of the outer loops and pull it tight.  Don't have a picture of the knot right now and I don't know what it's called, but it worked for me...also, if you needed to have a smaller plug at the end I'd recommend you just get a Y splitter and use that.

i did that with a cable tie but still kinda bulky and there is always the annoying 6.3mm jack that gets in the way of my iphone case so im looking for a better solution

May 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 75

Quote:
i did that with a cable tie but still kinda bulky and there is always the annoying 6.3mm jack that gets in the way of my iphone case so im looking for a better solution

Well, that's what I use the Y splitter for, or just a second extension cable wrapped up...the only alternative I can think of is to reterminate the cable.  Unfortunately, I've never seen any cables other than the stock ones for sale anywhere.

May 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 75
I'm even more interested in just simply having a spare cable for backup. Shorter would be nice, but I just need a spare.

May 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 75
I tried, First they require an order number just to email them, so I just made one up, but they never responded. They only have the cable for the HD 555 for sale which I think is different.

May 10, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 75

Quote:
I tried, First they require an order number just to email them, so I just made one up, but they never responded. They only have the cable for the HD 555 for sale which I think is different.

I'm all but certain that it'd be the same, but then again, I could be wrong.  They have instructions on how to replace the cables here:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/products.nsf/resources/0F7A212762B1AED2C12574330042F5DD/$File/HD_5x5_Changing_the_cable_eng.pdf

You could check it out and see whether it looks the same.

May 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 75
Its absolutely different. The newer HD 518,558, and 598 just have a plug that looks almost like a smaller audio jack but with 3 rings that just plugs into the left speaker. Taking apart the headphone is not necessary at all.

May 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 75

Quote:
Its absolutely different. The newer HD 518,558, and 598 just have a plug that looks almost like a smaller audio jack but with 3 rings that just plugs into the left speaker. Taking apart the headphone is not necessary at all.

to be specific, the input jack is 6.3mm and the output jack is a 2.5mm with a twist and lock design

May 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 75

[size=medium]
Hmmmm. Let's see now. Around $200 for the HD598. Then only $350 or so for a custom cable from Whiplash or ALO.... to use with an iPod.
Makes sense!!
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back