Sennheiser Gains New MOMENTUM
Aug 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #46 of 461
Quote:
Mid September per this link.  Also could this be Sennheiser's first basshead can?  Competition for the M-100?  Classy vs. sassy :)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/sennheiser-momentum-headphones/

Also trying to figure out which other Sennheisers have a 32 ohm, 40mm driver to narrow down the driver used in this one.  I am encouraged that it does not use the HD25 driver.

I think i am going to cancel the VTF100. This looks more simplistic yet classic. The sennheiser rep in the video says this will have more bass emphasis

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #47 of 461
Quote:
I think i am going to cancel the VTF100. This looks more simplistic yet classic. The sennheiser rep in the video says this will have more bass emphasis

I still want to do a side-by-side comparison first, so I will keep my preorder, but it looks like the Momentum has been aptly named since it appears it will be available before the M-100.  I hear what you are saying about the Sennheiser rep saying it will have more bass emphasis.  I would prefer to hear that in Jude's impression :)

I have yet to find a "basshead" can with detailed mids and properly extended highs.  If Sennheiser can pull that off with the Momentum, IMO they will be a formidable competitor in their price range, but there I go speculating again.  I just want one headphone that sounds great whether I am listening to Rihanna or Dan Fogelberg.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #48 of 461
Although details are scarce, these tick a lot of boxes for me.  Ugh...

Reluctantly looking forward to Jude's impressions. (please be critical!)

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #52 of 461
Quote:
This uses a 32mm transducer. Is the transducer the same as the "driver"?

I could be completely wrong, but I watched a video on headphone manufacturing so I am now an expert :wink:  The transducer is the cylindrical magnetized coil that fits behind the driver.  The driver has a larger circumference than the transducer, plus in the Sennheiser video, the Sennheiser rep mentioned a 40mm/32 ohm driver.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 461
popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #54 of 461
Will these be in black as well? Wow, kind of excited although I'm a bit skeptical at the price. M-100 vs Momentum comparisons should be interesting.

Looking forward to your impressions Jude. And please include an isolation comparison of these vs. HD25/DT1350 isolation! That would be really appreciated.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #55 of 461
I like how the representative emphasized thar they're also focusing on the treble. Something about V-moda, Phillips and other companies rolling off the treble never sat right with me.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #56 of 461
Quote:
I like how the representative emphasized thar they're also focusing on the treble. Something about V-moda, Phillips and other companies rolling off the treble never sat right with me.

It depends what music you listen to. I understand why V-MODA does it because I have talked to Val about it. Much of it is to prevent hearing loss at high volumes which big treble peaks will make worse. If you're like me and listen to jazz and classical, the treble peak gives instruments some "air". Modern fashion headphones, I imagine which are aimed at younger people, tend to have a difference balance. My old example of this was the first time I heard Beats in an Apple Store. They sounded fine with the pop that was on the iPods but rubbish with the jazz I like. 

When I'm in Tokyo in October for the headphone festival I'll try and get a good listen to a pair.

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #58 of 461
Phillips Citiscape Uptown + AKG K240 = Sennheiser Momentum, from what I can see.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #59 of 461
Regarding color choice, it was a no-brainer for me with the Amperior- blue.  With Momentum, it is difficult to decide between brown or black.

There are hundreds of black headphones, brown is unique in this price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back