Seeking Electronic Music Recommendations
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #31 of 37
There are 500+ pages of electronic music in this thread
Link starts at current selections.

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #32 of 37

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #33 of 37
Earthena - Symphony of the Crown (2021). Yes, I finally managed to end up listening to this song over a month later. And it was worthwhile, in the end.

1693919953784.png

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #35 of 37
that's a really big genre.. give me some stuff you like.

(This is lifted word for word..)
"
So where did it all begin? How did it all start? Who was the first guy who said "Holy ****, this buzzing, spitting, throbbing, pulsing din of an inane sequence of noises that might arguably call itself music sounds totally awesome on ecstasy!" And what made him do that?

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. To try and pinpoint the exact origins of electronic music, you first have to look at how it's made. Because as amazing as it sounds, electronic instruments did not always exist. The vast majority of them are barely more than 20 years old. And it's not like you can just pick up a sampler, synth and drum machine and jam away. Unlike conventional music, electronic music isn't played, per se. It is PROGRAMMED. So any study of the history of electronic music is really a study of its programmers--that is, the people who make the machines that make the sounds that make the music what it is. Without some guy tinkering with diodes and transistors, electronic music is just a fancy, lifeless hunk of junk. Just sitting there. Not doing anything.

Because of this, more than any other music medium, electronic music thrives on technology to make it what it is. And moreover, to make it better and different than what it was. Other instruments have remained largely unchanged since their original design centuries ago, but electronic music is constantly evolving and changing its sound with the application of technology. A new oscillation, patch or filter could take it in an entirely new direction. It is the one form of music where the equipment manufacturers have probably a greater control over the final musical output than the artists. Acid wasn't invented by a musician, it was invented by Tadao Kikumoto, creator of the Roland TB-303 Bassline. Without the 303, there is no acid. Without Kikumoto's ****ed up design schematic, there is no 303. Up until recently, electronic musicians were practically at the mercy of the designers who programmed the sounds into the machines. In a way, the instruments don't make the music, the instruments ARE the music. It's a very Macluhanesque way of looking at things, I know, but trust me: It all makes sense.

[...]

All electronic music that exists today originated in three principle nerve centres: The Caribbean (Jamaica), the American Midwest (Detroit and Chicago), and Western Europe (France, Italy and Germany). There are other hot points that have contributed lots of good things along the way, like Japan, India, Great Britain, Scandinavia and other areas of America, but chiefly these are the Big Three.

The Caribbean fermented reggae and dub, introduced MCing, exported rapping to New York where it promptly became the most popular music in the world, kickstarted dancehall and DJing, and was the womb of the Breakbeat and Jungle sections of this guide.

The American Midwest enriched us with jazz, soul, RnB, funk and blues, morphed into electro, merged with hip hop, toyed with disco, championed the 'black gay club' aesthete, combined all-night dancing with ecstasy, and was the flowerbed of the Techno and House sections of this guide.

Western Europe cultivated electronic instruments, attracted freaky arthouse intellectual scenes like the futurists, dadaists, existentialists, and beats which all which helped found post-modernism, developed minimalism and musique concrete which transformed into industrial merchant services for small businesses, created spacey film soundtracks, ambient and krautrock, sent disco to America and promptly took it back when America got sick of it, and was the test tube of the Trance, Hardcore and Downtempo sections of this guide.

"

I wont even attempt to explain all the genres
See here
Over the past few years, my listening has veered almost entirely toward instrumental electronic stuff. I started with Tangerine Dream, loving most of their 70’s/early 80’s output. I also like a lot of Jean-Michel Jarre—some of it’s a little cheesy, but I like a lot of it, including Equinoxe Infinity. I’ll be exploring his catalog more soon. I’ve gotten Timewind by Klaus Schulze—not bad, but not my favorite. I feel I need to find more of his stuff. I of course have Vangelis’s Blade Runner soundtrack, and probably need to find more. Also somewhat in this vein, I really like Tycho. Any other recommendations for instrumental electronic stuff? Not so much club/dance stuff, more space stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back