Seattle minimeet #3 impressons
Aug 23, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
FYI, the Grado HP-1000 models were not exotic audiophile and consumer headphones. They were designed and sold for studio use only. Most consider them the ultimate studio engineering headphones.

DJ'ing headphones. Feh, I used to DJ in clubs for more years than I care to remember and I never found a pair of "DJ" headphones that were neutral and accurate.

Fair enough on the Grados... just offering my opinion after about 5 minutes of listening in a noisy environment to maybe 2 or 3 different sources -- so my comment should very much be taken in a "for whatever it's worth" sort of context.

Is there actually a category "DJ'ing headphones?" I know there are cans marketed & sold as good for studio use, mastering, DJ'ing, etc. There's a certain sound I associate with a lot of headphones that are marketed for those kinds of uses (the Sony 7506 is a classic example), and it seems they're almost always closed or semi-closed for isolation from external noise. Aside from measurable dips/peaks in frequency response, I'm not sure neutrality and accuracy can be objectively quantified.

As an aside, on the whole 'objectivism vs subjectivism' thing -- I often find myself reading debates on the Net with amusement, but rarely have anything to add myself... I'm sitting on the fence, sometimes leaning one way and sometimes another. Clearly there's equipment that measures well and sounds poor, and also equipment that measures poorly but sounds good. I tend to use measurements as a guide (price is not a very good guide, particularly at the high end), but my ears are the final judge. Even something that's almost universally regarded as neutral and accurate isn't worth it to me if I don't enjoy listening.

Anyway... thanks again for hosting a memorable meet, and for helping out with transportation... 'preciate it!

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 61
Fair enough.

FWIW, Bob Ludwig at Gateway uses HD600s for mastering. But I take that with a grain of salt since he also firmly believes that dynamic compression is the soul of rock and roll.
rolleyes.gif

I'm curious. What do you consider to be the "sound" of "DJ" headphones?

FYI, when you edit posts substantially, please let people know what the edits are otherwise someone may not read through your post again when they respond. Either that or you just write a separate post.

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

I'm curious. What do you consider to be the "sound" of "DJ" headphones?

Other than referring to the Sony V6/7506 as a classic example of the "sound," all I can say is somewhat tipped up lows and highs, and either a flat or recessed midrange. Add to that less than spectacular soundstaging (a "center of head" effect is probably preferable when listening "critically" for mastering type purposes), and a high sensitivity (~106dB or so). The fact that most of those cans are low impedance probably contributes to the "sound" because of impedance matching issues.

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #20 of 61
LMAO @ the chip burning. Sounds like a good time. So, who's going to identify the suspects in the pics?
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #21 of 61
Could people please stop linking directly to the pics on my site? I don't mind personally, but don't want an Email from my ISP complaining about heavy bandwidth usage. Please grab a pic and put it on your own server or one of the 'photo album' sites if you want to link it here and/or elsewhere. I'll give people 24 hrs to do this before I change filenames.

I thought I'd leave everyone unidentified, since I don't know who wants to be associated with their pictures and who might prefer to remain anonymous. Needless to say, I'm not in any of the pics I took.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #22 of 61
The power cord is just a little over an inch think. The Elrod Statement is 1.5 inches by 3 inches (a rectangle essentially). When you bend it, it bends in segments.

Actually it was a resistor that essentially exploded from the surge caused by the power tube as it was gasping before death. I'm sure that a couple of other resistor bit it as well. Hopefully none of the transistors.

There was no cover to the amp. I was standing far enough away that I couldn't see the resistor below the side of the case. It must have flashed at least 2 inches up from the board.

In the picture above in which Eric pointed himself out, I'm the one at the back listening to the HP-1s.

We'll leave it to everyone else to identify themselves.

Needless to say, fewtch is the ugly one. (You'll have to post a pic to disprove that one buddy.)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 23, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

In the picture above in which Eric pointed himself out, I'm the one at the back listening to the HP-1s.

We'll leave it to everyone else to identify themselves.

Needless to say, fewtch is the ugly one. (You'll have to post a pic to disprove that one buddy.)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, sir!
wink.gif

SALUTE2.jpg

Arrr matey, arrr arrrrr...

Aug 23, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

I'm the owner of the Emmeline HR-2. In all fairness to the amp, Ray Samuels told me that he tuned the amp for use with the Grado RS-1s which few will deny is a bit bright (especially with bowls). That is, he purposefully rolled off the highs to make up for the RS-1s because I told him that I don't like overly bright. Of course, I ended up acquiring a pair of HP-1s instead of the RS-1s. The amp is back on its way to Ray. I haven't decided if I will have him tune that amp back to neutral or if I will wait for his new tube amp.

I am starting to see why people have mixed feelings over the HR-2. When I was having it built, Ray asked me what headphones I was going to be using and what my sources were. If the amp is being tailored for individual customers, their listening tastes and equipment then I can see how mating with different equipment can sound less than optimal.

Having seen and listened to a number of HR-2 amps as they were being built and during the burn in I can say that the amps are exactly the same one to the next. Yours was a special I would assume. In fact I think that people would be amazed at the steps that are taken during assembly to assure consistency from one amp to the next.

Aug 23, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 61

I am starting to see why people have mixed feelings over the HR-2. When I was having it built, Ray asked me what headphones I was going to be using and what my sources were. If the amp is being tailored for individual customers, their listening tastes and equipment then I can see how mating with different equipment can sound less than optimal.

Hi Wilson...
All my amps are built the same way & inspected against my source which is Meridian 508 24 bits. All are burned-in before shipping to insure that when they settle they are a match to my source. You have indicated to me that RS-1 headphones was coming & many times indicated that you hate the bright amps
as you like to hear the warmth in your music. I do have RS-1
& that amp was tuned specially for you to match the RS-1.
I do not calibrate every amp defferently as they all should sound the same. depending on source interconnectors & AC cords
& what amp you used to have before purchasing Emmeline HR-2,
people come to different conclusions as to what they think about the sound.
Ray Samuels

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
You mean like people with good hearing noticing the rolled off highs and people with suspect hearing not noticing it (or denying it)

Biggie.

What's the point...... Why can't you accept,(like all the reasonable people around here) that we all hear things differently?

Find the person who hears exactly like you do and go have a bunch of kids....please!

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
What's the point...... Why can't you accept,(like all the reasonable people around here) that we all hear things differently?

I'm not talking about what you hear, but about what you don't hear.

Biggie.

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Acoustic Zen Gargantua Mk II power cord

Dang! That thing looks like the beer funnels we used to use in college
wink.gif
!

Looks and sounds like you had fun guys. Coolness.

Aug 23, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 61

Notorious,
How could you ever,in a million years,with every bit of knowledge you have ever gained,know what anybody else does and doesn't hear?That's rediculous.

BTW,The meet looks like a bunch of fun and I'm glad you guys are keeping the meets going through the summer.I wanted to maybe do a summer Chicago mini-meet but we always do things big around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back