Scotch
Aug 5, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #91 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Do you guys all have smoking jackets and monocles, too?

- Chris

Naw, you want the cognac thread!
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #92 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
the macallan 60 yrs peter blake edition
i think springbank 1912
etc,etc

Yes, maybe (I'll check, don't remember offhand)

Adam

Aug 14, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #93 of 653
Today while my wife was getting her hair done at the mall, I went into the bookstore and checked out a couple of Scotch books. One was the Michael Jackson job that Tyson has mentioned and the other was by some Scotch tasting dude whose name I've forgotten.

Wow, there are major differences in taste! Those guys are more out of whack than audio ratings! Examples: Jackson gives the Glenlivet 12 a rating over 80! He didn't think much of the Dalwhinne 15 giving it something in the 70's, while the other book had it at 95! Well, after this, and Tyson's invitation, I've been emboldened to make some notes even though I'm very much a noob. I'm using a cute little nosing glass exactly like the one pictured in Jackson's book.

Glenlivet 12: pineapple/malt in nose. citrus and tropical fruits followed by sweet malt.

Glenmorangie 10: cinnamon, toffee, honey nose. sweet nutty malt with honey very long finish and still there two hours later! This has considerably heavier and smoother mouth feel than the Glenlivet.

Glenmorangie sherry: very sweet, lots of sherry hazelnut? Even smoother, and thicker in feel than the 10. very slight smoke in finish.

Glenmorangie Madiera: Like a cross between the sherry finish and 10yr.

Glenmorangie Port: Like the sherry except that the nose is definitely more port-like. A little darker in color and perhaps very slightly more smoky

Laphroaig 10: This one really taught me some stuff about water mixing. At about 50/50 the nose of this is a little seaweed mixed with various petroleum distillates: tar, pine tar, gasoline and some menthol and turpentine. On the tounge it is peat covering malt, a little tar. Oily, but thin feel. "Interesting" was the nicest thing I could say about it.
Later, I took a good taste of it neat (I usually start with a tiny, neat taste before mixing the water). Big difference! It starts off VERY sweet and malty and is then followed by mild seaweed and tar with a long smoky finish. This I like a lot!
I also found a shot of this to be good in a tall glass of very cool water. Curiously refreshing!

Dalwhinnie 15. Great balance. The nose is malty with a little grass/peat and a hint of honey. On the tounge it is very smooth and dry with some subtle orange/honey over the malt. The finish is very complex with a little smoke coming in at the end.

biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #94 of 653
Hey, those are awesome impressions, great job! I find that during the summer I tend to like the islay malts (laphroaig, lagavulin, ardbeg) a bit less, and the highland malts (glenmorangie, Dalmore, Macallan) a bit more, just seems to fit better.

Your notes have inspired me to go try some of my Glenmorangie 10 again, see if I can pick up the cinnamon that you mention - cheers
cool.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #95 of 653
What do y'all think of Drambuie--the Scotch-based liqueur from the Isle of Skye?

Aug 18, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #96 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Do you guys all have smoking jackets and monocles, too?

- Chris

I do have a gold smoking jckt w/ black satin lapels. Unfortunately, it seems to have shrunk in the closet sometime since college.

Great thread Tyson. I agree w/ most of you tasting notes though I've not tried half the whiskys you have.
Sorry, but I do most often drink my Scotch w/ 2-3 ice cubes and though it is more difficult to do "critical" tasting that way, it's still the way I enjoy whisky the most.

Thanks for all your "hard" work.
CPW

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #98 of 653
Added Lagavulin 12 - Cask Strength.

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #99 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
What do y'all think of Drambuie--the Scotch-based liqueur from the Isle of Skye?

My downfall. utterly irresistable. Nectar of the gods. It's like sucking honey out of the nipples of life
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #101 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1

good when very cold winter days are raging , but more of a woman taste wine then a serious taste one ( my an-alcoholic 1/2 cent opinion )

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #102 of 653
Scotch=tweak. It always sounds better. I preferred the Balvenie 10 to the 12. The others were so good I can't remember.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #103 of 653
Well, I'm in North Carolina for a few weeks and it is almost impossible to buy any good liquor here! Until I get back to California, I'm going to have to switch from scotch to port; wine and beer sales are unrestricted.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #104 of 653
I put some single malt on my heavenly hash ice cream last night and it was quite nice... and before the hard core scotch drinkers start screaming at me, this was after drinking a lot of the same single malt neat
smily_headphones1.gif

It was just some 18 year old glenlivet... nothing special. I usually only buy the really good stuff as birthday gifts for my Dad.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #105 of 653
My Dad, serious scotch lover, turned me onto Finlaggen - is really good bang for the buck! maybe different label Lagavulin for half price? Tastes a lot like that is so, at least the one I got from Dear Old Dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back