Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 6, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2,972 of 12,475
Deal me in as well. I'm currently listening to the new mimby and it's really great. It made me think gumby would be the next upgrade for the office, but I'm thinking it may be best to wait and save for the mighty Yggy. Love to read the impressions of the journey from Gumby to Yggy.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,973 of 12,475
  Me too, actually. What were your thoughts between the Gumby and the Yggy?

Another level up in detail and accuracy. I've stated it on many posts. What Shiit did with multibit DAC's changed the way I feel about redbook CD's. Never new they could sound like this, and since I have allot of redbooks (been collecting since they were introduced), the platform fits my needs perfectly.

I have seen some say that the Yggy is more analytical than Gumby (because it has more detail/accuracy), and that it loses some of the musicality. I guess it depends on the listener.

I drive an MJ2, and with the tubes, I find the Yggy / MJ2 stack it to be the right combination for me. I like the max detail Yggy provides as I feel I am relistening many of the songs I've herd for decages and finding details I never knew were there, and the MJ2 (w/ nice tubes) brings in nice harmonics to enhance the musicality. I like the color tubes bring to the table. Combined, the blend has been magical in enhancing many listening pleasure. Early on, I was constantly turning my head as I thought there were people or something in the room with me. Sounds would seem to come out of nowhere.

There is always "better" stuff out there, but with my old ears, I'm enjoying what I got. It's more than good enough.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,974 of 12,475

Another level up in detail and accuracy. I've stated it on many posts. What Shiit did with multibit DAC's changed the way I feel about redbook CD's. Never new they could sound like this, and since I have allot of redbooks (been collecting since they were introduced), the platform fits my needs perfectly.

I have seen some say that the Yggy is more analytical than Gumby (because it has more detail/accuracy), and that it loses some of the musicality. I guess it depends on the listener.

I drive an MJ2, and with the tubes, I find the Yggy / MJ2 stack it to be the right combination for me. I like the max detail Yggy provides as I feel I am relistening many of the songs I've herd for decages and finding details I never knew were there, and the MJ2 (w/ nice tubes) brings in nice harmonics to enhance the musicality. I like the color tubes bring to the table. Combined, the blend has been magical in enhancing many listening pleasure. Early on, I was constantly turning my head as I thought there were people or something in the room with me. Sounds would seem to come out of nowhere.

There is always "better" stuff out there, but with my old ears, I'm enjoying what I got. It's more than good enough.

My experience with redbook as well. While I will keep MJ2 for the tube and LISST approach, I'm probably going to add Raggy just to have Schiit's SS statement in a headphone amp.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,976 of 12,475

My experience with redbook as well. While I will keep MJ2 for the tube and LISST approach, I'm probably going to add Raggy just to have Schiit's SS statement in a headphone amp.

Right, people think that redbook isn't good enough but the truth is that most people don't have the proper equipment to extract all of the detail that redbook has to offer.  An understandable reason is that this type of gear is expensive.  

The rag is a flat out better amp than the mj2.  I'm not saying that everyone prefers the rag, some will just like tubes better, but there's no question about it's superiority. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,978 of 12,475
  3 weeks since I ordered and still no yggy shipped and no word from them :frowning2: 

Have you emailed and/or called them? that seems unusual for that long of wait.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,979 of 12,475
  3 weeks since I ordered and still no yggy shipped and no word from them :frowning2: 

Before I ordered mimby, I inquired about the availability of yggy and they replied right away on email and said they were waiting for parts, and I could order one and be added to the list. Best of luck!

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #2,980 of 12,475

Like others related, the lack of response seems unusual. Even with it being summer (vacations, etc.) and weekend, I've found them responsive.

By the way, I don't know what the status was when you ordered, but it currently says "Status: backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship in approximately 3 weeks."

Hope you hear something soon -- in more ways than one. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2,981 of 12,475
His message is ambiguous. I think he means to say Schiit didn't reach out to him because the DAC was not ready to ship in three weeks, which is very different than the situation of emailing them without response.

They are not going to message you; you have to message them yourself.

Also, I am fairly certain they are doing all they can do to ship your DAC as soon as they can. As far as I am aware, they do not charge you until it is shipped.

It must be a problem upstream.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #2,982 of 12,475
@V1001 I'd just wait and it'll turn up when it turns up. They don't have customer service reps and they didn't become this successful from forgetting people's orders.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,983 of 12,475

Are there any sq-related disadvantages in using the RCA unbalanced outputs on the Yggy as opposed to the balanced outputs?  I have the yggy feeding my pre-pro via the XLR outputs in order to service my speakers, but I also have it feeding my Violectric 281 via the RCA unbalanced cables, and i am wondering whether I am shortchanging the Violectric/Headphone connection in any way, sq-wise...  I use the 4-pin balanced out connections on the V281 almost exclusively for headphone listening, so it would be somewhat less than ideal if the sound is at the input point was less than optimal.

The second question is whether there is a good way of splitting the signals from the Yggy's Balanced XLR outs so that they can alternatively be used with either the pre-pro for speakers, or the Violectric V281 for Headphones...

If this second option (of using an XLR splitting connector) is viable, could anyone suggest an appropriate splitter cable?  I have attempted using the type pictured below in a slightly different application, with different components, and it did not work out too well (of course, it is always possible that I may not have used it correctly)... 

Any helpful suggestions would be welcome :

I suspect it depends more on the performance of the V281 when run balanced vs. single-ended than it does Yggdrasil's output.

I'm not sure about that.  My theory, and it's just a theory at this point, is that the combiner circuit in the RCA output path (which is obviously not used in the XLR output path) is affecting the RCA output SQ to a noticeable degree.  So, one way to bypass that circuit in a chain where you require RCA is to make a custom 3-pin XLR to RCA cable (with XLR pin 3 unterminated).  Another is to buy a $200+ Jensen isomax isolator with XLR in and RCA out.  Yet another might be to use adapter, but I simply don't trust those to be wired the way I want.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #2,984 of 12,475
  @V1001 I'd just wait and it'll turn up when it turns up. They don't have customer service reps and they didn't become this successful from forgetting people's orders.

The website did say 3 weeks. I was hoping that was worse case and it would come sooner. It's just painful waiting is all and not having a DAC. I miss listening to good music. I have my amps hooked directly from my motherboard sound right now. Which actually sounds very good for what it is. But is no substitute. 

Only one time did I ever see that they were shipping right away. That was shortly before I ordered mine. Now I'm really wishing I'd have ordered then. I'm sure it will go out this week, hopefully Monday if I'm lucky. I just have this sneaking suspicion that everything got delayed because they were working on building stock for the new Modi multibit that just came out. Plus they made an announcement about some other new product that is supposed to change the industry. That is going to bite if everything got pushed back even further. Although I sure hope I didn't buy the yggy to soon and this new product is something I should buy instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back