Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #8,611 of 13,350
I've had my Asgard 2 on for about 4 hours this morning and it is warm. I can grab and hold the chassis firmly without any issues. the same for the volume knob. I would guess it's slightly warmer than the Bifrost sitting underneath is. In fact, the stack makes a nice little hand warmer in the winter.

My Valhalla is warmer and I may not want to firmly grip it for a long time but I can certainly touch the volume knob without issue.

I would venture to say that temperature is a lot like sound quality in that it can be perceived differently by different people.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #8,612 of 13,350
What we gotta know is how the Black Lyr, Valhalla2 and Magni stack up!
You're killin' us here! :darthsmile:

Nice Schiit Stack and a great "space heater"!:wink:

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,613 of 13,350
  I can take some temperature measurements. I'll do that tomorrow. The Valhalla was so hot that I could not leave my hand on it.

But keep in mind it is designed to run hot. Max power into 300 ohms is about 1 watt. Power consumption of the Valhalla 2 is rated at 40 watts. A lot of that 40 watts is creating heat.

Results of my unofficial temperature testing of my Valhall 2. Driving 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650s:

The amp has been running about two hours. playing everything from Brahms to Ana Popovic.

Ambient room temperature.....69.2F------20.7C

Amp temperature as taken with the probe taped to the Schiit logo on the top of the Valhall 2.

Max temperature recorded......108.3F----42.4C

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #8,614 of 13,350
  ^^ Lyr 2 is fantastic with the he560. Put a decent set of Russian tubes or similar for $50 and you'll be in heaven. The Asgard 2 is also very good but the lyr 2 fits your description of what you want best. 

gL!!

Thanks Matt. I'm leaning towards the Lyr2.
Any russian tubes in particular you can recommend which really brings out the bass? Price range $50-$100.  

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8,615 of 13,350

Results of my unofficial temperature testing of my Valhall 2. Driving 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650s:

The amp has been running about two hours. playing everything from Brahms to Ana Popovic.

Ambient room temperature.....69.2F------20.7C

Amp temperature as taken with the probe taped to the Schiit logo on the top of the Valhall 2.

Max temperature recorded......108.3F----42.4C

As an engineer, I can appreciate this.  (Even had a friggin probe handy, with ambient temperature measurement.)
No more posts with subjective adjectives describing the temperature! 
(but I am sure people will ask anyways!)  Thanks for taking the time to put this beast to rest.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8,616 of 13,350

As an engineer, I can appreciate this.  (Even had a friggin probe handy, with ambient temperature measurement.)
No more posts with subjective adjectives describing the temperature! 
(but I am sure people will ask anyways!)  Thanks for taking the time to put this beast to rest.

Thanks. QA / QC was my field (now retired) so I eat this stuff up.

Asgard 2 due tomorrow so I'll soon have a really big Schiit pile. LOL

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #8,617 of 13,350
  Thanks. QA / QC was my field (now retired) so I eat this stuff up.

Asgard 2 due tomorrow so I'll soon have a really big Schiit pile. LOL

You are a ROCK STAR, sir!  I figured you had a background, and it shows.
I eat this up too, and love reading about it better than "oh boy I got my confirmation number woohoo!" posts.

Use this time to listen to your ASGARD and MAGNI, because I have the feeling from your previous post that when your LYR NOIR comes back then your attention may become skewed.

Have you already set up an apparatus to A/B/C/D your four amps when four to one output to feed into your HD650? :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #8,618 of 13,350

You are a ROCK STAR, sir!  I figured you had a background, and it shows.
I eat this up too, and love reading about it better than "oh boy I got my confirmation number woohoo!" posts.

Use this time to listen to your ASGARD and MAGNI, because I have the feeling from your previous post that when your LYR NOIR comes back then your attention may become skewed.

Have you already set up an apparatus to A/B/C/D your four amps when four to one output to feed into your HD650? :)

I'm working on it.
L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #8,619 of 13,350
The Asgard 2 gets pretty warm in spots but nothing I can't put my hand on and get burned. I could hold it in my hand fine.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #8,620 of 13,350
The Asgard 2 gets pretty warm in spots but nothing I can't put my hand on and get burned. I could hold it in my hand fine.

Schiit quotes 40-45C. That is "too hot to touch" for many. But of course still within design parameters for a class A amplifier.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #8,621 of 13,350
  Schiit quotes 40-45C. That is "too hot to touch" for many. But of course still within design parameters for a class A amplifier.

Also have in mind that Asgard is not a typical class A amplifier. I haven't seen many amplifiers that would use their own chassis as a heatsink.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #8,622 of 13,350

I've got my hand sitting on the very top and sides and it's warm, I don't think it'd even make water sizzle. Maybe if I held it on the bottom it'd be that hot but it's not bad at all.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #8,624 of 13,350
Also have in mind that Asgard is not a typical class A amplifier. I haven't seen many amplifiers that would use their own chassis as a heatsink.

You need to take a look at what Nelson Pass does at Pass Labs or First Watt. Its not so much that he uses his chassis as a heat sink but that his chassis is literally made out of heatsinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back