Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 26, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4,006 of 13,350
In all seriousness, I was going to sell my Magni once I upgraded, but I'm keeping it as a reference unit because I know how good it sounds. It's earned its place.

Same deal for the Lyr. I was cleaning my room out and found the foam packaging  for it laying around. "Welp, I won't be selling mine anytime soon...I can pitch these".

Good ****, Schiit!

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,007 of 13,350
PYST cables are Straight Wire brand cables, not actually made by Schiit. One pair I got a while ago are Flexconnect II cable with black RCA plugs. Another pair I got more recently are Concerto cable with silver plugs. The Flexconnect II cables are thicker than the Concerto cables.

FWIW, my balanced PYST cables were the Straight Wire Symphony II's. IMHO it's probably overkill since balanced IC's have such an advantage over RCA cables but like most everything from Schiit, it's a good value considering they're made in the US.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,009 of 13,350
  Look good! Do you notice any change with the adaptor?

Thanks.

While I have not done an in depth A-B (you can imagine how tedious it would be to do on a per song basis), I have on many occasions removed and then re-inserted the splitters. I used them to link 2 amps at a time; sometimes the the Lyr, Soloist, Asgard (back when I had it) or the PanAm depending on the need or my mood for that certain instance. 

I can - with my fallible senses - detect no change. Can I be 100% sure there is no change? No, of course not, but definitely not detectable to these ears. What I can say 100% with certainty, is that I had no degradation of enjoyment whatsoever with the RCA splitters installed. :)

Hope this helps. 

:)

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4,010 of 13,350

While I have not done an in depth A-B (you can imagine how tedious it would be to do on a per song basis), I have on many occasions removed and then re-inserted the splitters. I used them to link 2 amps at a time; sometimes the the Lyr, Soloist, Asgard (back when I had it) or the PanAm depending on the need or my mood for that certain instance. 

I can - with my fallible senses - detect no change. Can I be 100% sure there is no change? No, of course not, but definitely not detectable to these ears. What I can say 100% with certainty, is that I had no degradation of enjoyment whatsoever with the RCA splitters installed. :)

Hope this helps. 

That's good enough for me. Thanks!

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #4,011 of 13,350
Oh, and may I add that I had another pair of splitters - wire-based, and not the solid ones I currently use. I threw them away as I heard a bit of channel imbalance with them. May have been from the construction or something - but as they were really cheap, I felt no need to investigate. Out the door they went. :) 

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,012 of 13,350

Hope this helps. 

Sold! At least whenever I decide to buy a solid state amp. Whether that's Asgard or not, I'm not sure yet, but a triple stack does sound very sexy to me.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4,013 of 13,350
  In all seriousness, I was going to sell my Magni once I upgraded, but I'm keeping it as a reference unit because I know how good it sounds. It's earned its place.

Same deal for the Lyr. I was cleaning my room out and found the foam packaging  for it laying around. "Welp, I won't be selling mine anytime soon...I can pitch these".

Good ****, Schiit!

In your opinion, is the Lyr worth 4x the price of Magni?  

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #4,015 of 13,350
In your opinion, is the Lyr worth 4x the price of Magni?  

They're... different. Solid state vs tubes. Really, the only person who can answer that question will be you. Is an HD 800 worth 15x more than an SR80i? To some, yes.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,017 of 13,350
Do you find the differences between the Lyr and Magni to be subtle or very pronounced?

Depended on the headphone. I ran my HD 700 for a week on my Magni and it was far too bright. Picked up the Lyr based on feedback for people here and the differences were very noticeable and positive. Then I changed out the stock tubes with Orange Globes and the results were even more positive. For that particular headphone, I've been extremely happy moving from the Magni to Lyr.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #4,018 of 13,350
Depended on the headphone. I ran my HD 700 for a week on my Magni and it was far too bright. Picked up the Lyr based on feedback for people here and the differences were very noticeable and positive. Then I changed out the stock tubes with Orange Globes and the results were even more positive. For that particular headphone, I've been extremely happy moving from the Magni to Lyr.

I would be using it with an HE400.  I find the HE400 is pretty bright with the Magni to the point where it needs EQ.  I'm looking for something that could tame the treble on the 400 possibly allowing me to use them without EQ but I'm fairly nervous about spending $450 on an amp (I only spent $300 on the headphones).  Everyone says that the Lyr and 400 pair well but I just REALLY want to be sure.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #4,019 of 13,350
I would be using it with an HE400.  I find the HE400 is pretty bright with the Magni to the point where it needs EQ.  I'm looking for something that could tame the treble on the 400 possibly allowing me to use them without EQ but I'm fairly nervous about spending $450 on an amp (I only spent $300 on the headphones).  Everyone says that the Lyr and 400 pair well but I just REALLY want to be sure.

I already hated the treble on the HE-400 and it seemed like the Magni just made the problem worse. The Magni is a fairly bright amp. It was bad enough that I sold the HE-400. Never got a chance to test it on the Lyr, but considering what it did to the HD 700, I would think it would have helped tame some of that wild treble on the HE-400. For me, it probably wouldn't have been enough to save it from being sold. I really couldn't stand those cans.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,020 of 13,350

Unsure if  you are in USA, but cheap shipping and Schiit return policy of a new Lyr certainly lessens the risk.

not having HE-500 (skipped HE-400 for the treble signature) nor Magni,
but having Bifrost Uber + Lyr (with myriad of tubes) now and HE-500, Vali on a different set up and sold an Asgard2:

all I'll say is Lyr can definitely be made "warmer" to sooth your HE-400, especially if you pick some warm tubes.
unsure what DAC you have, but the customizability of the Lyr with some Orange Globe or Mullard or <insert warm tube of the month here> tubes
can dial in the sound signature you prefer.
THAT (IMHO) is the real benefit of the Lyr.

You'll need to be willing to jump in to some tube research and add on purchases, but in the end-  it's more likely to be "perfect"
than trying a Magni and/or 10 different solid state amps before reaching similar results.

Summary:  
in expensive try n buy could be the Vali tube amp?

more expensive option:
the Lyr could be perfect with HE-400 for your ears, IF you are willing to try some differing tubes and perhaps augment your DAC.

the Lyr (plus Ediswan, RTC, Siemens tubes) with my HE-500 (and Concero HD) are pretty much my end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back