Schiit Mjolnir vs Bryston BHA-1 (and Schiit Gungnir vs Bifrost)
Oct 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #31 of 112
Haven't ever used it with the unbalanced output. I'll give it a try.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #32 of 112
It's uh.. well I don't want to say it's bad... ok yeah it's bad. Compared to the balanced output.. there is no comparison. The unbalanced output sounds thin, mushy, and all around unclear. I would consider the BHA-1 a balanced amp that can drive unbalanced headphones if you have to, but there are better choices for that.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #33 of 112
Thanks for trying. It's a bit disappointing about the SE output but all the headphones I have that really matter are balanced. I would have hoped the SE output would still be decent. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #34 of 112
Quote:
Hows the SE vs balanced outputs with the HD800?

Your BHA1 and HD800 pairing looks like a perfect match. Every time I see those HD800 I want one in that same color scheme.

The T1s sound really, no I mean really bad out the SE output.  It sounds tons better out the balanced output.  I don't know what they did to that SE output but - it's not good.  it's a shame because everything else on the amp is "GREAT"  IMO.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #35 of 112
Quote:
The T1s sound really, no I mean really bad out the SE output.  It sounds tons better out the balanced output.  I don't know what they did to that SE output but - it's not good.  it's a shame because everything else on the amp is "GREAT"  IMO.

I had a similar experience at RMAF when I tried the K701 balanced vs. single-ended on the BHA-1.  I know the K701 seems to have fallen out of favor here on Head-Fi, but I have to say that that combo sounded great -- very alive and dynamic on the balanced outputs.  However, on the single-ended output the K701 just sounded flat and lifeless.  Very surprising difference, and unfortunate, as you said.

Could you please comment on how the T1 sounded with the BHA-1, maybe compared to some other amps?  I didn't get a chance to try the T1 on the BHA-1, and I'm curious as to how the Bryston handled a 600-ohm headphone.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 112
At the Dallas meet yesterday I had 9 people try both amps with the Gungnir and HD800 giving each amp a fair shake not hinting at any bias beforehand unless they had read this review before the meet.

2 preferred the Mjolnir outright.
1 preferred the BHA-1 but would choose the Mjolnir for the price difference.
5 preferred the BHA-1 outright.
1 preferred the BHA-1 but thought the price difference was too close to call.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #37 of 112
Quote:

I had a similar experience at RMAF when I tried the K701 balanced vs. single-ended on the BHA-1.  I know the K701 seems to have fallen out of favor here on Head-Fi, but I have to say that that combo sounded great -- very alive and dynamic on the balanced outputs.  However, on the single-ended output the K701 just sounded flat and lifeless.  Very surprising difference, and unfortunate, as you said.

Could you please comment on how the T1 sounded with the BHA-1, maybe compared to some other amps?  I didn't get a chance to try the T1 on the BHA-1, and I'm curious as to how the Bryston handled a 600-ohm headphone.

I made a mistake up top.  I never got a chance to hear the T1 out the BHA-1s balanced output.  I sold it before I got my T1s re cabled.  However, everything else coming out the Balanced output shined.  This is really a great amp - still the SE output is in question for me.  Also I would not use this amp with the HE-6s - seems to struggle - the volume knob is nearly at max.  

I would own this amp again in a heart beat.  If I didn't have to fund the new GS-X I would still have it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 112
Quote:
At the Dallas meet yesterday I had 9 people try both amps with the Gungnir and HD800 giving each amp a fair shake not hinting at any bias beforehand unless they had read this review before the meet.
2 preferred the Mjolnir outright.
1 preferred the BHA-1 but would choose the Mjolnir for the price difference.
5 preferred the BHA-1 outright.
1 preferred the BHA-1 but thought the price difference was too close to call.

Has this DAC been compare to any other DACs?

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #39 of 112
Yes see the Gungnir thread.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #40 of 112
I've been using all Grado cans with the balanced and SE out and the only difference I can hear is the amount of power. Soundwise it's on the same quality but I haven't tried other cans. I will have PS1000 and LCD2 in SE and will be reterminated to balanced connector soon and will report how it sounds in SE as compared to balanced.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #41 of 112
Quote:
He's clinging to that balance control. Hooster, you know it's ok to admit you are wrong sometimes.

Balanced control is useful if you are listening to an old recordings with unbalanced left and right channel level or when you have unbalanced hearing between your left and right ears. Some amp manufacturers have different approach like implementing different volume control for left and right channel (Lamm Audio) or separate left and right input level like Cary Audio.

Why complain if it sounds good or if haven't heard it!

Just my two cents!

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #42 of 112
Quote:

Balanced control is useful if you are listening to an old recordings with unbalanced left and right channel level or when you have unbalanced hearing between your left and right ears. Some amps manufacturer have different approach like implementing different volume control for left and right channel (Lamm Audio) or separate left and right input level like Cary Audio.

Why complain if it's sounds good or if haven't heard it!

Just my two cents!

There is a reason why "some manufacturers" have a different volume control for the left and right channel. The most common one is to reap the real benefits of dual mono construction. If you think a high end manufacturer like Lamm would make a preamplifier with a volume pot and an un-defeatable balance control you should think again. It aint going to happen because it is too much of a compromise.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #43 of 112
I'm liking my Mjolnir more and more :) I'm aware of the serious diminishing gains at this level but not sure yet if I want to make that leap from this price range to the next just yet. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #44 of 112
Quote:

There is a reason why "some manufacturers" have a different volume control for the left and right channel. The most common one is to reap the real benefits of dual mono construction. If you think a high end manufacturer like Lamm would make a preamplifier with a volume pot and an un-defeatable balance control you should think again. It aint going to happen because it is too much of a compromise.

A balanced pot is no big deal for a $1295 amp. Like other headfiers here, I trust my ears and happy about my current amps and the way Bryston designed it. Where is the compromise if it sounds good and if there is no audible left and right channel crosstalk.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 112
Quote:

A balanced pot is no big deal for a $1295 amp. Like other headfiers here, I trust my ears and happy about my current amps and the way Bryston designed it. Where is the compromise if it sounds good and if there is no audible left and right channel crosstalk.

Why worry about what I think? You are the one that counts and if you are happy with the way Bryston designed it, fine. I am not you and I have a different opinion. A product that is compromised in the eyes of one person is not compromised in the eyes of someone else. It all depends on your perspective and your expectations. To me adding something like a balance control that actually makes it more expensive to manufacture and does nothing to improve the sound quality is counterproductive. It would be very surprising if passing the audio signal through it does not degrade the quality. Do you realize that even cheap receivers where often fitted with a switch called source direct or something like that for those who wanted to bypass things like balance controls? Of course the thing sounded better if you had the source direct switch selected. No brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back