Schiit Mjolnir vs Bryston BHA-1 (and Schiit Gungnir vs Bifrost)
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 112
If you don't like the balance control just leave it at stock. I know what you are saying, but if it sounds good with it, it still sounds good.

There is an unbalanced output on the front of the device. There is now an output on recent models for preamp purposes.

Looks like all of your 'kills it' have been addressed already save the balance control which doesn't matter.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 112
Quote:
Nice review. What turns me off products like the Bryston is the lack of thought that seems to have gone into the design. What kills it for me is.

1. A balance control that appears to be non defeatable. What is the point of a balance control unless you happen to be using airline quality headphones that have severe channel imbalance? How much better a simplified Bryston with no balance control would sound I can only guess.

2. No line output.... Come on, for the kind of money they charge for that thing, could they not have splurged on at least one output?

3. No single ended headphone output. (Ok, so this amp is meant for only the very best cans with balanced cables and you can take your single ended cans elsewhere. Wait a minute, in that case, what is the balance control doing on that thing? You do NOT need that with high end phones, unless perhaps your ears our out of whack relative to each other.)

Enjoy the Bryston

It seems you're having a bad day today...

1. I've asked this question myself without getting any answer. But remember BHA-1 is also for studio use, maybe if you're monitoring a rough mix or something it could be handy. Or listen to some 60s vinyl... I guess the balance control doesn't degrade SQ, otherwise they wouldn't have put it there.
2. There is a line output now, their homepage isn't updated yet though. Male XLR pre out at the back connected in parallell with the front XLRs, i.e. after volume control.
3. What are you talking about? There are 2 x 3 pole XLRs, 4 pole XLR + a standard 1/4" SE output on the front, always has been. Check the photo. Are you mixing this up with Mjolnir? Check facts before posting.

Edit: I'm so slow answering, sorry... 

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 112
Quote:

1. I've asked this question myself without getting any answer. But remember BHA-1 is also for studio use, maybe if you're monitoring a rough mix or something it could be handy. Or listen to some 60s vinyl... I guess the balance control doesn't degrade SQ, otherwise they wouldn't have put it there.
2. There is a line output now, their homepage isn't updated yet though. Male XLR pre out at the back connected in parallell with the front XLRs, i.e. after volume control.
3. What are you talking about? There are 2 x 3 pole XLRs, 4 pole XLR + a standard 1/4" SE output on the front, always has been. Check the photo. Are you mixing this up with Mjolnir? Check facts before posting.

Edit: I'm so slow answering, sorry... 

Thanks, seems like they are slowly getting there. Strange that a company as large and experienced as Bryston did not get it right from the get go, but they do deserve praise for improving their products.

You have to wonder what they are thinking when they update and improve their products but fail to update their webpage... Just out of curiosity, how did you know about the line output?

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #21 of 112
By reading the thread for the BHA-1.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #22 of 112
Yep.

Line out picture: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560499/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston/480#post_8669233
MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers/Distributors http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.msg1124858#msg1124858

Never underestimate Google...

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 112
"The price on the BHA-1 will be going up approximately 10% but it will provide our customers with a much more versatile product."

Very interesting. I guess they designed the BHA-1 on a Friday. Anyway, nice to see they are improving it. I bet they will loose the balance control sooner or later. Does it have some sort of bypass if it is set to the center or does the audio signal always have to go through the balance pot?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 112
Quote:
"The price on the BHA-1 will be going up approximately 10% but it will provide our customers with a much more versatile product."

Very interesting. I guess they designed the BHA-1 on a Friday. Anyway, nice to see they are improving it. I bet they will loose the balance control sooner or later. Does it have some sort of bypass if it is set to the center or does the audio signal always have to go through the balance pot?

The balance control has a centre detent. The balance pot cannot be bypassed, here is the volume + balance part of the BHA-1 schematics (right side, SE signal goes from input buffers through R9R via volume + balance to power amps from balance pot):

It seems Bryston added the balance control on request. No balance control back in May 2011: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91385.msg949797#msg949797 Balance control added in August: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91385.msg978866#msg978866

Much thought has gone into the BHA-1 design. It is nominated for the TEC awards in the AMPLIFICATION HARDWARE / STUDIO & SOUND REINFORCEMENT category. 20 years warranty. Check Bryston's history. I don't know what your agenda is, IMO the result matters much more than schematics since I use my gear to listen to music. I don't need the balance control myself (I think), and my current amp's design is maybe more "correct" according to some (fully balanced input to output, advanced over-sized power supply, precision stepped attenuator etc.) but I've still ordered BHA-1 after reading all positive comments and reviews because I'm curious. Hopefully BHA-1 will also be able to drive my HE-6. Hope to get it soon...

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 112
Since when do you need an "agenda" to discuss products on this forum? I have pointed out what I consider poor elements in the design of the Bryston and the fact is I feel vindicated since Bryston themselves, unknown to me when I wrote my comment, have incorporated one of my suggestions in a new version of the BHA-1. To me the BHA-1 was not well designed, and I am entitled to that opinion as is anyone who thinks the opposite.

Whether or not you care about the balance control is up to you. For all I know some people like it. It's just not for me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #26 of 112
Basically you started ragging on a product you hadn't investigated properly and now are finding all of your information wrong or out of date.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 112
Quote:
Basically you started ragging on a product you hadn't investigated properly and now are finding all of your information wrong or out of date.

The only mistake I made was re the single ended headphone output. I admitted that freely. Bryston has fixed one of the other problems I mentioned and the only one left is the balance control (which still kills it for me). Perhaps you might like to contact Bryston and ask how it can be bypassed. It would be interesting to hear if and how much that would improve the sound.

If no one ever criticized anything there would not be much progress, would there?

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 112
He's clinging to that balance control. Hooster, you know it's ok to admit you are wrong sometimes.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 112
Hows the SE vs balanced outputs with the HD800?

Your BHA1 and HD800 pairing looks like a perfect match. Every time I see those HD800 I want one in that same color scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back