Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,291 of 3,541
For those of you planning on pairing the Mjolnir with the HD800 give it some time to burn the amp..At first I was very dissapointed wih the aggresive and somehow harsh presentation of the Mjolnir so prior to send it to the FS forum I decided to have an intensive burn in plan to see if the sound improved as has been documented on this thread by some users..well after nearly a 100 hours of burn time I listened again tonight and wow the sound changed a lot.the harshness seems to be gone and even though the presentation still feels very on your face now I can enjoy all the detail, separation and width that this amp provides without fatigue..I plan to keep burning it for at least another 100 hours so I'll be reporting my findings.

Now it seems anotner one is going to the FS forum (sorry V200)...

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,293 of 3,541
Quote:
Anyone have any extended usage with the HE-5LE? Appreciate some impressions. Am mulling between the Lyr and Mjolnir...

If you have read the posts in this thread I am surprised you are still 'mulling'

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,294 of 3,541
Just for grins, I swapped out the Bifrost for my old faithful PS Audio DL III w/full Cullen mods, run balanced. Had forgotten just how pleasant this DAC is. If you think of analog sound as allowing you to relax into the music, this is a very analog DAC. It didn't lose any detail, and has a nice extra measure of bass as opposed to the Bifrost. And the Mjolnir lets me appreciate the difference. A reminder that every part of the system is important.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,295 of 3,541
Listened to the V200 again after some time with the Mjolnir - and I know I'm keeping the V200. The German makes you able to sit back and relax. The Mjolnir and relax are two words that can not be combined. I enjoy the Mjolnir, and will keep it for the engaging fun factor sound signature. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,296 of 3,541
Pretty accurate, even with my brief listen to both over the weekend.
Quote:
Listened to the V200 again after some time with the Mjolnir - and I know I'm keeping the V200. The German makes you able to sit back and relax. The Mjolnir and relax are two words that can not be combined. I enjoy the Mjolnir, and will keep it for the engaging fun factor sound signature. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,297 of 3,541
My amp should arrive Thursday. I'm pretty excited although my HD800 cable wont come in time so have to wait until then. Ideally I would have two separate rigs but don't think I have another headphone that really is worthy of building a system around like the HD800.

i have the V200 amp as well so looking forward to comparing the two

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,298 of 3,541
Quote:

If you have read the posts in this thread I am surprised you are still 'mulling'

Well, there seems to be differing impressions of the Mjolnir and most have been with the higher end HE-6. Just wondered if anyone with the 5LE and the Mjolnir might chip in for a more accurate impression of the pairing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #1,299 of 3,541
I haven't heard the two together but have heard both and the 5LE seems like an even better match w/ the Mjolnir to my mind.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #1,300 of 3,541
Thanks but does the Mjolnir produce a more musical sound as compared to the Lyr or vice versa? Am not looking for technical details of the sound signature but merely which gives one a more foot tapping experience?

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,303 of 3,541
Quote:

x2, Loevhagen. I had a V181, which did everything except get my blood flowing. It's comparable to a Mercedes C-class sedan, utterly competent but about as exciting as a summer rerun. The Mjolnir is more like a VW Golf GTI, also extremely competent but a heck of a lot more fun.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,304 of 3,541
Quote:
x2, Loevhagen. I had a V181, which did everything except get my blood flowing. It's comparable to a Mercedes C-class sedan, utterly competent but about as exciting as a summer rerun. The Mjolnir is more like a VW Golf GTI, also extremely competent but a heck of a lot more fun.

That's a really good analogy. Best to keep both depending upon which car you feel like driving.

Quote:
For those of you planning on pairing the Mjolnir with the HD800 give it some time to burn the amp..

I'll turn the MJ on and leave it for a few hours before I listen. It's smoother and more resolving after it's had some time to heat up. It seems this amp takes a lot longer than tube amps to warm up. Could be placebo.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,305 of 3,541
It's starting to sound like the Mjolnir is an ideal match for Audeze' headphones, but is there a consensus yet on which model is the most ideal pairing? In other words, does it prefer the creaminess of the rev.1, the less laid-back(?) rev.2, or does it totally scale up with the LCD3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back