Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #1,756 of 3,004
Managed to scribble this into the wrong thread. Three days in, I really like the MJ3. HPs thus far are the Clear OGs, assorted Grados and HD8xx, so nothing too fancy.

Have been super busy so not much listening time of late but the MJ3 has now been playing on its own for a few days, and I have just sat down with the OG Clears and some vintage Julie London on 180g vinyl and its quite mesmerizing -- strummed guitars have great texture and body, and the room reverb is accurately captured. Julie's smoky, natural voice with its raggy, minimal vibrato is hanging in space as if she were seated and leaning into the mic, and the final chords of "Mood for Love" have a stickiness that I associate with a nylon pick. It's very compelling stuff, and more detailed and 3D than the FV, with Teles up front to my ears. Noise floor is superbly low and it does what I've always found great Class A/ well-designed tubes to do: illuminate or "burnish" the music without sacrificing detail at any freq extreme or especially the mids where so much music happens. The bass response is very good -- controlled but resonant when it should be.

I'm mostly a music over gear person at this point, and IMO the MJ3 makes glorious music. I have doubt that there are "better" sounds in terms of the technicals but at what price and with what compromises?

For me, a keeper. For sure.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #1,757 of 3,004
That's great news.

Also based on @psy472 's impressions it sounds like a good pre-amp helps insure great sound from MJ3.
Jot2 + Mj3 :wink:
The specs of the Modhouse Tungstens though are nuts. I'd honestly not muck about and get a Ragnarok or speaker amp for them.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,758 of 3,004
The specs of the Modhouse Tungstens though are nuts. I'd honestly not muck about and get a Ragnarok or speaker amp for them.
Or just wait till CanJam is done.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #1,759 of 3,004
Yeah, they are THE hardest to drive. Im at least getting the Flux Mentor when I can, but if I could afford it I'd get 2 and run dual-mono.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #1,760 of 3,004
MJ3 secondary uses. (not my pic) ..
image_2024-02-25_221704450.png

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #1,762 of 3,004
The MJ3 does very well with a preamp added to it. If you preamp the magnius into it you will find the bass much much more meatier and impactful.

IMO I know we’re in a modern age where DACs, CD players and even many record players put out enough power that they’re technically not needed, but I’ve found virtually all my HP amps still do better with a good pre-amp in the chain. It’s like adding tubes to the chain, something just “comes alive” more.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,763 of 3,004
IMO I know we’re in a modern age where DACs, CD players and even many record players put out enough power that they’re technically not needed, but I’ve found virtually all my HP amps still do better with a good pre-amp in the chain. It’s like adding tubes to the chain, something just “comes alive” more.
I always wondered if I should add one but don’t truly understand them yet. So instead of having a SS amp and a tube amp; I could have a MJ3 and a Freya+ for the tube sound?

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #1,764 of 3,004
I always wondered if I should add one but don’t truly understand them yet. So instead of having a SS amp and a tube amp; I could have a MJ3 and a Freya+ for the tube sound?
Isn’t the freya built as a tube preamp anyway?

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #1,765 of 3,004
Isn’t the freya built as a tube preamp anyway?

Yes although they now have a solid state tube option which I’d be curious to hear just for the novelty factor.

Sometime this week I might have to load this bad boy up as a preamp into the chain going to the mj3, it might turn the bedroom into a sauna though!

1708927963703.jpeg

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #1,766 of 3,004
I’ve been into headphones and such for about 2 years but I never dwelled into preamps. I don’t understand them yet. So using the Folkvangr as a preamp into an MJ3 means you get the Folkvangr sound but the MJ3 power? Sorry

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #1,767 of 3,004
I’ve been into headphones and such for about 2 years but I never dwelled into preamps. I don’t understand them yet. So using the Folkvangr as a preamp into an MJ3 means you get the Folkvangr sound but the MJ3 power? Sorry
From Jot2 to MJ3, I got the bass power and timbre but with already top tier clarity and resolution of the MJ3. The bass improvement was noticeable.

I find it ironic that Schiit built all their gear to preamp and amp and kept hinting to people that they would work great in a chain. Yet reading on this forum, I rarely found anyone who did this.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #1,768 of 3,004

Does Dr. Frankenstein’s experiments need understanding :D

Sometimes it’s fun to just do things even if it turns out to be a bloated mess, at least I’ll have tried. Audio equipment to me is like legos, I like tweaking and playing around to see what I can come up with. I wish I could learn to live with the simplicity of one small amp on my desk and one pair of HPs connected to a computer but I can’t. It would definitely be easier on the wallet.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #1,770 of 3,004
Yeah, they are THE hardest to drive. Im at least getting the Flux Mentor when I can, but if I could afford it I'd get 2 and run dual-mono.
Dual GJallarhorns ftw :) 30W per channel and a lot less than the Flux, I bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back