Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,496 of 23,494

Agreed.  My mid-60s "Valvo" Hamburg E88CCs are very neutral.  If you can find them, I reckon they'll be $150 and up.  Don't limit yourself to just "CCa"s, as people will charge a serious premium for them.

Are the Valvo Hamburg E88CC that good?  As I remember you have a set of E288CC's, how do they sound in comparison as I have 2 sets of E288CC's.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #6,499 of 23,494
Apr 17, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #6,501 of 23,494
Some of you are going to be temporarily blocked from this thread, and perhaps one other. I know this is going to upset some of you, and that at least one of you may leave for good as a result.

I hope you understand, but for the sake of those who want to stay on topic until I can get to the lengthy moderating necessary in these threads, I don't see any better option at the moment.

To be clear, my intent is that any blocked access will be TEMPORARY.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #6,504 of 23,494
@Pirakaphile - the sound of tubes can be a love/hate thing. I've also found that there is no equal to tube gear. Generally, there is a house sound for each manufacturer, and it sometimes even extends between different types of tubes made by the same manufacturer. To generalize quite a bit, if you like neutral/transparent sound, try Siemens/Telefunken or Russian tubes... for more warmth, try Amperex, Philips or Mullard. There are also lots of other brands, but those are probably the most common. There is way more info in the thread that isn't as general, and of course it's all up to the person giving the impressions.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #6,505 of 23,494
No but I saw them on Fleabay... they are reissues made in Europe? or?

As I understand it they Are remakes. The Black Diamond are supposed to be the high grade remakes. I might buy a pair. At worst I could use them for playing Xbox 360/Xbox One games and save my Siemens Cca gray shields, and Reflektor Silver Shield 74's (from Rb2013) for music.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6,506 of 23,494
Ah yeah... if they're anything like the Mullard re-issues, I wouldn't spent a cent on them.

http://www.effectrode.com/signal-tubes/mullard-ecc83-12ax7-reissue-original-physical-comparison/

edit: Just called Telefunken in California... they Black Diamond tubes are made in Slovakia by JJ. They are the cherry picked best of the best. I asked how they sound compared to a NOS Telefunken and she didn't know...

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #6,508 of 23,494
Some of you are going to be temporarily blocked from this thread, and perhaps one other. I know this is going to upset some of you, and that at least one of you may leave for good as a result.

I hope you understand, but for the sake of those who want to stay on topic until I can get to the lengthy moderating necessary in these threads, I don't see any better option at
If anyone is interested, I have an extra pair of HG's , that I'm willing to part with. I'm acquiring lots of tubes , and know that the HG's are hard to get atm. I'm not against spreading the wealth. Send me a pm. Cheers

Guido. I PM'd you

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #6,509 of 23,494
  ExCUSE me Mr. I have the right to my sass. 

But I have actually been reading all the way from the very beginning. I haven't got very far because you folks are terribly boring. :p

For sure, there are an awful lot of pages to read here, and then there is the older, original, closed Lyr tube-rolling thread to boot, with another 580+ pages.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

When trying to find info on a particular tube, and faced with about 1000 pages, the "search this thread" link at the top and bottom of the page can be mighty helpful.

IMHO, once you have your amp and have spent some time listening to the stock tubes, a good next step is a pair of Bugle Boys and/or Orange Globes. And as you are just beginning, I wouldn't worry about buying NOS (New Old Stock). Get a pair of cheap, used ones to see if you like them. And if you do, then later you might want to chase after a new pair, or at least a pair that measures new. And if you don't, you aren't out all that much.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #6,510 of 23,494

IMHO, once you have your amp and have spent some time listening to the stock tubes, a good next step is a pair of Bugle Boys and/or Orange Globes. And as you are just beginning, I wouldn't worry about buying NOS (New Old Stock). Get a pair of cheap, used ones to see if you like them. And if you do, then later you might want to chase after a new pair, or at least a pair that measures new. And if you don't, you aren't out all that much.

My thoughts exactly. I have a pair of orange globes on the way.

However, if anyone in this thread has a bunch of used tubes in decent quality they don't use anymore and would like to offload, please feel free to PM me =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back