Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #7,006 of 23,494
Jun 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #7,007 of 23,494
Well folks. You never know when life is going to throw a curveball at you. I suffered an injury at work yesterday that will leave me out of commission for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Unfortunately I have to part from this hobby until I get back on my feet. All my gear is up for sale.

Lyr1
Parasound Zdac
Sennheiser HD-700
Valvo CCa yellow print

I figured I post this here to my tube rolling friends , before I post on the for sale forums. PM me if you're interested in anything.

Cheers friends,
Sam

Oh my God.  I just saw your post Sam.  All the best in your recovery.  PM coming.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #7,008 of 23,494
Dear all,

I recently bought Audeze LCD-2 in order to use with my current amp, Little Dot mkiii.
i was enjoying the the LD mkiii with 2x Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and 2x Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi EH.

I decided for some reasons to move to Lyr 2, and i've been looking in this huge thread, plus the previous one (almost 1000 pages together, you guys are crazy!).

I'm not a serial tubes roller (yet), i just desire to increase the potential compare to the stock unit.

For the LD mkiii, it was obvious, when i change the stock tubes for the EH and Voshkod, all the aspects of the sound were better. For a total investment of USD110..

For the Lyr 2, i was just wondering if you guys can propose me, from your experiences, a set of tubes that will increase the potential of the amp.
An obvious improvement from the stock tubes for budget of USD100-200.

Thanks for reading me and helping me!

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #7,009 of 23,494
  Dear all,

I recently bought Audeze LCD-2 in order to use with my current amp, Little Dot mkiii.
i was enjoying the the LD mkiii with 2x Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and 2x Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi EH.

I decided for some reasons to move to Lyr 2, and i've been looking in this huge thread, plus the previous one (almost 1000 pages together, you guys are crazy!).

I'm not a serial tubes roller (yet), i just desire to increase the potential compare to the stock unit.

For the LD mkiii, it was obvious, when i change the stock tubes for the EH and Voshkod, all the aspects of the sound were better. For a total investment of USD110..

For the Lyr 2, i was just wondering if you guys can propose me, from your experiences, a set of tubes that will increase the potential of the amp.
An obvious improvement from the stock tubes for budget of USD100-200.

Thanks for reading me and helping me!

I just found this review in a thread a couple of days ago and I felt it's very informative.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #7,010 of 23,494
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #7,011 of 23,494
Just a shout out and special thank you to billerb1 for his willingness to share an incredible set of miniwatts with me. They are spectacular sir!!

beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #7,012 of 23,494
  Just a shout out and special thank you to billerb1 for his willingness to share an incredible set of miniwatts with me. They are spectacular sir!!

beerchug.gif

My pleasure Matt.  Talk about the HE1000/Miniwatt combination if you would.  Very curious.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #7,013 of 23,494
It's a great combo actually. Hi gain on the lyr 2 with those tubes is completely addictive. Maybe my favorite sub bass ever. Take a pair of $2k subs and position them perfectly in a well treated room...that's the bass on the he1000. The lyr and the miniwatts do a great job with mids also. I feel those tubes are particularly special when it comes to mids and they do a wonderful job with the mid range on the he1000. Price tag on the he1000 is not cheap but it certainly delivers the goods top to bottom across the entire spectrum. Good stuff for sure!!

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #7,014 of 23,494

I just found this review in a thread a couple of days ago and I felt it's very informative.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

wow, amazing review, thank you so much

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #7,015 of 23,494
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #7,016 of 23,494
Look for 1960's grey shields

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #7,017 of 23,494
  It's a great combo actually. Hi gain on the lyr 2 with those tubes is completely addictive. Maybe my favorite sub bass ever. Take a pair of $2k subs and position them perfectly in a well treated room...that's the bass on the he1000. The lyr and the miniwatts do a great job with mids also. I feel those tubes are particularly special when it comes to mids and they do a wonderful job with the mid range on the he1000. Price tag on the he1000 is not cheap but it certainly delivers the goods top to bottom across the entire spectrum. Good stuff for sure!!

Nice !!!  Was hoping they'd compliment each other incredibly well...and it appears they do.
Happy for you bro.  Enjoy !!!
You going to keep the HE1000's???

(BTW the 'Miniwatts' Matt got from me are 1965 Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's, Heerlen.)

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #7,018 of 23,494
Hey Ya'll, just ordered an Auralic Taurus Mk. 2, so I am going to be putting my beloved Lyr 2, with a pair of Voskhods from rb2013 (Bob, I think they are '75s, do you remember?), and Valvos, offers being accepted prior to listing, thanks. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #7,019 of 23,494
Hello everybody,
New to Head--Fi and also a total newbie to the world of tubes. Last week I sold one of my beloved mountain bikes since I don't have the space for it anymore. Of course I could put the money in the bank and save it for a rainy day but where would be the fun in that, right? So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an LCD-2 plus a Lyr 2, which is why I'm here now.
The Lyr 2 is going to be my first piece of equipment with tubes and the whole tube rolling thing really intrigues me, so I would like to buy some additional tubes (preferably two pairs) to compare them to the stock ones, see what I like and well, just have a little fun with it! So I tried to read as much as I could both here in this thread and on the net and currently I'm looking at buying these two:

2 x Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin
2 x Matsus***a PCC88/7DJ8

Are there any strong arguments against this combination? Of course I'd be grateful for any other recommendations. I'll also keep reading this thread, but 468 pages, really!?! 
wink_face.gif

The basic idea would be to get two pairs that don't sound the same, don't cost a fortune and work well with my current T90 and of course the LCD-2. I know people have different tastes but stuff that other people like always seem like a good place to start with.

One tube I've seen mentioned a lot are (early) 70's Russian Rockets. They have peaked my interest since they're supposed to be very good value for money. But I just can't find them! There are lots of 6N23p tubes on ebay but being really clueless about this stuff I'd rather avoid ebay (also, more often than not the year they were produced is not indicated and as far as I can tell that matters a lot, right?). So if anyone could give me any directions as to where  to find those gems, I'd be very thankful!

Anyway, that's that for now, I'm probably going to have a lot more questions once I've received my stuff... 
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Switzerland

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #7,020 of 23,494
Picture of the primary listening station...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back